ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   What happened to Top Gear :( (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/586601-what-happened-to-top-gear.html)

BULLITT 26 February 2007 10:50 AM

I think people have misunderstood the point of the Tractor bit, it was to see how easy it is to grow your own fuel. Possibly to show the public an alternative fuel source. Yes they threw in a bit of daft challenges but that was to make it entertaining.

Top Gear is heavily scripted these days agreed, which does spoil it a bit but not that much. The amount of car reviews this year may have gone down because Hammond can't drive like he used yet, don't forget he used to do alot of the car reviews as well.

I for one still like the program for what it is and will continue to watch it anyway. I'd much rather watch it than the other rubbish that BBC1 and the rest of BBC2 are passing off as entertainment shows these days.

Leslie 26 February 2007 10:51 AM

I still look forward to seeing it, but it needs a sorting out to leep the interest going. JC is too predictable now and his outbursts are becoming boring. What on earth he was on about in the level crossing section still leaves me confused. We are getting to the stage where May and Hammond are entertaining while JC drags it down again.

Les

Anders_WR1 26 February 2007 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chris L (Post 6697084)
Because Anders, if they did that, their viewing audience would fall to about 10. I like my cars, but an hour of that and I'd turn off!

Brumdaisy - I think his point was (in a round about way) - if you are stupid enough to try and jump a red light at a level crossing, then you pretty much get what you deserve! Natural selection as far as I can see...

I'm not saying scrap the funny stuff, but a five or ten minute technical section or how-to guide wouldn't go a miss.

Why not set them selves a challenge like here's a standard three year old car, here's a budget of £2,000 that you can spend on handling or power mods - the one who shaves the most time of the lap wins.

I'd prefer watch that, than watch them buy a £1,000 porche and spend £500 on it. How many of us would do that?

Anders

brumdaisy 26 February 2007 01:13 PM

The bottom line (as I see it) is keep the humour, bacause thats what makes the show but get the content back on subject - they're going off on more tangents than the average scoobynetter :p

Mind you the 'jezza loves whats-her-face' placard had me in tears :notworthy

Chris L 26 February 2007 04:35 PM

Anders - I agree to a point. Us petrolheads would watch it, but TG is entertainment and that's how it has become popular - by not being a typical car programme. Looking at the appalling attempts by Sky and C5 to do car programmes, I'd still say TG has the best format.

TG has always been scripted BTW - it was never 'spontaneous' - just look for script credits at the end of the show.

scoobian 26 February 2007 05:37 PM

TG is not a car review programme any more: its a attempt to show the lanky, curly haired fella as being a funny man

he isnt

he comes up with occasional good one-liners, but he is predicatable in the extreme and the two 'straight men' are laughably poor

not many cars reviewed and not a very good review when they do it
its like a pub review of driving, I guess

its crap

bring back Tiff

Dream Weaver 26 February 2007 05:38 PM

I think people are missing the point about the problems with TG now.

It was quite funny last night, but it shouldn't be called Top Gear any more. For those, like me, that find it a bit too silly now, we don't want car reviews - I don't want to see the latest Fiat Panda shopping car reviewed.

I would like to see some proper hooning about in cars though, do some group thrash's with Cossies/ST's, Evos, Scoobs etc - where has all that gone? :confused: