ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Fog Light Use... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/582819-fog-light-use.html)

pwhittle 13 February 2007 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by wrxseeker (Post 6653167)
AFAIK the law about using them refers to poor visibility not just foggy conditions.

I sometimes use my fronts in exceptional rain during the day - my view is the more light you have on the more chance of people seeing you and not pulling out on you etc.

What really p's me off is people driving with no lights during the day when its raining/foggy etc. Their attidude is why do i need lights I can see where I am going - sod everyone else!! :cuckoo:

Mild to mid raid is the worst time to use them, as it lights up the water on your screen and dazzles you. Very occasionally you get a real downpour, where you can't see anything ahead (unless you drive a 3 series!), then I put all lights on to avoid being rear-ended.

Only used front fogs in fog twice in 15 years of driving, when the fog was so thick your headlights just bounce straight back. That's exactly what they're designed for, to light up the edges of the rad just in front of the cat to keep you in a straight line.

Ford recently advertised a special edition, with 'sporty' fog lights. THat really annoyed me, as that's why people put then, on, they think it makes them look sporty*. Obviously most racing cars use fog lights. (mine did actually, but it had to have an MOT, so I fitted a fog / high level light switch).

* either that or they all have cateracts and think it's foggy...

speedking 13 February 2007 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky (Post 6653508)
why can they come on with sidelights only?

that has always puzzled me TBH

Because dipped headlights are higher off the ground and reflect back off the fog. Foglights plus sidelights is a better combination when it is really foggy, i.e. the only time when foglights should be used.

I wish Subaru would replace the rarely used foglights with driving lights that could be used much more frequently.

wrxseeker 13 February 2007 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by pwhittle (Post 6653582)
Very occasionally you get a real downpour, where you can't see anything ahead (unless you drive a 3 series!), then I put all lights on to avoid being rear-ended

Yes thats what I am saying - in really really heavy rain when the visibility is very poor I put everything on whether I am on a motorway A Road, B Road or in town. Other people shouldnt be travelling fast enough to lose control by being dazzled !!

I still say that its worse when people have no lights on at all in poor weather conditions during the day.

StickyMicky 13 February 2007 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 6653583)
Because dipped headlights are higher off the ground and reflect back off the fog. Foglights plus sidelights is a better combination when it is really foggy, i.e. the only time when foglights should be used.

I wish Subaru would replace the rarely used foglights with driving lights that could be used much more frequently.

they did with the P1 IIRC

i know mine has driving lights in the p1 covers, although the lights are aftermarket

ru' 13 February 2007 01:02 PM

Woo-hoo, another fog light thread.

<pulls up seat and tucks into popcorn>

Toerag 13 February 2007 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by wrxseeker (Post 6653167)
What really p's me off is people driving with no lights during the day when its raining/foggy etc. Their attidude is why do i need lights I can see where I am going - sod everyone else!! :cuckoo:

These people are just as right as you are wrong - As soon as you put your dipped lights on everything outside the beams appears darker, and you in turn dazzle other road users. In the situation you describe (normally dusk, or heavy rain) the correct thing to do is use sidelights only - other people can see you without you dazzling others. :luxhello: Sidelights are fine when you want others to see you better, yet you feel you can see well yourself.

MrShades 13 February 2007 01:34 PM

One question for anyone to answer:

Why have FRONT fog lights on during daylight hours - foggy, misty rainy or not? Why, why, why?

Surely front fogs are there so that THE DRIVER can see where the heck he's going when it's foggy AND it's dark. Cars have dipped main beam on so that other drivers can see them...

On a similar note, READ fogs are there so that other drivers WHO ARE MORE THAN A FEW METRES BEHIND can see that there is a car infront. Hence it's reasonable and respectable to TURN THE DAMN THINGS OFF if another vehicle is following at a reasonable distance behind (and can see your car perfectly, irrespective of how many lights are blazing).

Rant over...

wrxseeker 13 February 2007 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Toerag (Post 6653741)
These people are just as right as you are wrong - As soon as you put your dipped lights on everything outside the beams appears darker, and you in turn dazzle other road users. In the situation you describe (normally dusk, or heavy rain) the correct thing to do is use sidelights only - other people can see you without you dazzling others. :luxhello: Sidelights are fine when you want others to see you better, yet you feel you can see well yourself.

I am sorry but I totally disagree - correctly set headlights on dipped beam shouldnt dazzle anyone at any time.

Highway code again:

95: You should also
  • use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen
  • keep your headlights dipped when overtaking until you are level with the other vehicle and then change to main beam if necessary, unless this would dazzle oncoming traffic
  • slow down, and if necessary stop, if you are dazzled by oncoming headlights.
Also if you read my original post it said NO lights on which to me includes sidelights.

RB5_245 13 February 2007 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by speedking (Post 6653583)

You should have bought an RB5 :D

jayltee1 13 February 2007 02:51 PM

I hate bad use of rear foglights and will full beam all people who use them when it is not needed (unless I would dazzle oncoming traffic)....however I use front fogs on country roads at night as it appears to give me a much better field of view. I would also use them on motorways in bad rain to hopefully give people the best chance of seeing me in their side/rear view mirrors. I am good at switching them off as soon as I hit lamp post territory though (ie. I don't leave em on or drive around built up areas with them to look 'cool')

Flame suit zipped up and ready for action.

HankScorpio 13 February 2007 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by pwhittle (Post 6653582)
Ford recently advertised a special edition, with 'sporty' fog lights. THat really annoyed me, as that's why people put then, on, they think it makes them look sporty*.

I actually complained to the ASA about that ad saying fog lights are not sporty, they are a safety device.

Got fobbed off with some bollox tho :D

This is a real pet hate of mine but I have a solution...

Rather than fine people 30 quid, send them to the hospital to have a pair of recently removed cataracts inserted. Show them what "restricted visibility" really means. :mad:

fivetide 13 February 2007 03:08 PM

Agreed i will use them on country roads at night because they light up the verge better and on a narrow road or one likely to have sticks etc at the edge it is good to be able to see what is there.

In dull daylight is right, especially at the moment. It is usually overcast and nevermind it being light outside it can be dull in the car - putting the lights on also lights up the dials making it easier to see speed etc.

5t.

gpssti4 13 February 2007 04:31 PM

Side lights are parking lights only, i.e. if you need lights on, then it's main lights only I'm afraid.

Front fog lights; should only be used at night in reduced visibility, i.e visibility less than 100m (If you need front fogs to see with during the day, you're eyesight is so bad you shouldn't be driving). If you feel the need to use them ask yourself 'am I going that slow that I'm only looking 3-4m in front of the car'?

Rear fog lights; should only be used at in reduced visibility (day or night), i.e visibility less than 100m, and if there's no one immediately behind you otherwise they'll be dazzled and may not be able to see your brake lights - especially if you don't have a 3rd brake light and have two rear fog lights.

Foglights. Everybodys pet hate. :D

corradoboy 13 February 2007 04:44 PM

I've written the the transport minister and West Yorkshire's CoP requesting that many of the more trivial but flagrantly and universally broken traffic laws be punishable by much more severe penalty. It wouldn't take many to be fined £500 for fog light misuse for the message to filter down. Same with mobile use, lane hogging, tail-gating etc. The crime (or are they misdemeanours :wonder: ) might be fairly insignificant, but as their disregard is so prolific I feel the best answer is to hit a few hard so everyone else learns.
Another idea would be to enforce manufacturers to fit irritating chimes to indicate fog light use, and make disabling them both an offence and MOT failure.

The average poorly designed Peugoet foglight only illuminates approximately 30 feet in front of the car, so even at just 30mph using the Highway Code 75 foot stopping distance you'll be 45 feet past whatever they illuminated, and you just hit :rolleyes:

Prasius 13 February 2007 05:25 PM

How about a speed limiter integrated into your fog light circuit. As soon as you turn on your foglights your top speed is limited to 40mph. Which is about as quick as I'd want to drive in the conditions that dictate the use of foglights even on a motorway!

davyboy 13 February 2007 10:18 PM

Of course no SN members do this OR middle lane hog......

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...hotoshoot.html

:lol:

Leslie 14 February 2007 12:09 PM

It is of course illegal to use fog front or rear lights in good visibilty. Cant see why people feel they need to do that-does not make them any safer. Probably ignorance of the RTA in most instances.

It is also illegal to use your hazard warning lights as a pathetic excuse for parking on yellow lines or anywhere that you should not be. Theoretically you could be done for both offences!

Les

Toerag 14 February 2007 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by wrxseeker (Post 6653983)
I am sorry but I totally disagree - correctly set headlights on dipped beam shouldnt dazzle anyone at any time.

ermmm........Crest of a hill?
I have no real problems with dipped lights once the street lights are on, but if they're not on then sidelights it is for me.

dazza30 14 February 2007 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Prasius (Post 6652666)
I'm on the verge of totally flipping out and putting a claw hammer in my car.

What is the deal with the number of complete and utter morons who insist on driving around with their damn front foglights on all the time? I would love to blame this idiotic use of the things on young drivers, but the majority of people who do it appear to be well into their middle ages. I don't get it, is it because you think it looks cool? Is it because your so senile you don't understand what the little light on your dash is? Or are you just a complete ****er?

If I don't calm down soon about it, I'm going to start following these idiots home and removing their ability to blind other drivers with the previously mentioned claw hammer.

Mind you, they do get upset when I put my full beam on and refuse to dip my lights regardless how many times they flash.

:mad:

tooooooooooooooooooooooooo right i agree they think its cool but they can get pulled for that they shud wait till we get the bloody fog:nono:

gpssti4 14 February 2007 03:15 PM

50 posts and everyone condeming the inappropriate use of fog lights.

Come on people, there must be people on here who use them all the time - please explain yourselves (you like to be noticed on the road, so why not here ).

wrxseeker 14 February 2007 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Toerag (Post 6657867)
ermmm........Crest of a hill?
I have no real problems with dipped lights once the street lights are on, but if they're not on then sidelights it is for me.

What about the quote from the highway code in my post ??

use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen
Remind me not to pull out in front of you next time I see you .... or dont.

Still even sidelights are better than nothing which was the point of my original post.

Huxley 14 February 2007 06:24 PM

To$$ers that use fog lights when not needed by law are Cnuts end of :mad: :mad: :mad:

"Oh look I have my fogs on and I look cool no you look like a **** with the iq of a lump of turd"

Whankers the lot of them :mad: :mad: :mad: I had some prat in a pug come towards me in a country lane a couple of weeks ago with his front to$$er lights on and guess which car hit the bank :D I don't pay the insurance on my van :D and it's bigger!

pslewis 14 February 2007 06:39 PM

I think my FOG Lights look well koooool :D

Huxley 14 February 2007 07:28 PM

:lol1:

Originally Posted by pslewis (Post 6658557)
I think my FOG Lights look well koooool :D

http://ccgi.rallytrader.plus.com/for...a_policing.gif http://ccgi.rallytrader.plus.com/for.../wagfinger.gif

I suppose you will be getting Gold wheels next :lol1:

Prasius 14 February 2007 08:42 PM

...and a knocklink ;)

Shark Man 14 February 2007 08:56 PM

I find there is a vastly increasing amount of people driving round on main roads on SIDELIGHTS :mad:

You look at them and its usually some woman peering over the top of the steering wheel and so grossly fixtated on what is directly infront of them they fail to see the oncomming car flashing their lights and the driving mouthing "lights" :rolleyes:

Stupid stupid stupid people. Why do they have a licence? :cry: