ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   New house with cat flap - how do I block it up? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/571642-new-house-with-cat-flap-how-do-i-block-it-up.html)

the_keyboard_warrior 05 January 2007 02:43 PM

A magnetic seal will not stick to UPVC Andy :lol1:

sbk1972 05 January 2007 02:44 PM

Perhaps one of those containment barriers used in the shuttle bay of Star Ship Enterprise !

Give Geordie a call !

SBK

AndyC_772 05 January 2007 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by the_keyboard_warrior
A magnetic seal will not stick to UPVC Andy :lol1:

*sigh* Anyone would think I don't actually own one!!

The seal goes betwen the moving part of the flap and the surround that's mounted in the door; it's fairly accurately made to fit the space and minimise draughts, and it holds the flap shut until sufficient pressure is applied to break the seal and allow the animal to pass through. Without it, the flap would blow in the wind and let the heat out.

See the installation guide if you're still confused!

the_keyboard_warrior 05 January 2007 02:56 PM

*sigh* Anyone would think you thought I was being serious.

I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't seem to get my head that far up my ass.

sbk1972 05 January 2007 02:58 PM

hahaahah there goes another keyboard. thumbs up Keyboard Warrior.

SBK

hutton_d 05 January 2007 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Thanks - will be the same as the house is only 4 years old with upvc doors so no doubt will benefit from a replacement panel. Did you just get a window company to do it?

Same ones who installed it as it was only about 2 years old and they're local.

Dave

mightyyid 05 January 2007 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by homerdog
Perhaps your kids would actually like the cat and learn that it's not some sort of rabid, dangerous animal that will kill them. You must have led a very sheltered life! :rolleyes:

I probably have - but then again, if I am going to have an animal I'll have a dog. I have no intention of allowing a cat to wander round the house when we have a 10 week old child. I'm sure it might be fine in your house, but you know what, I do not want the risk.

And I'm buying a house, not some other cat that will no doubt sh*t all over the garden that our elder daughter will probably run through - nice.

And as others have said, if I wanted a door with a hole in it, I'd order one with a glass panel, delete the glass option and have a nice breeze coming through.

I don't have a cat...

I don't want a cat...

I don't want a door with a bloody ugly hole at the bottom of it...

Fred West's house had a load of bodies in it - does that mean I should learn to like to murder people because that what happens in that house?

davegtt 05 January 2007 03:31 PM

:idea: buy a house without a hole in the door? :thumb:

Coffin Dodger 05 January 2007 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
It might sit and miaow outside once or twice, but they're intelligent animals and will soon work out that it's pointless.

Alternatively, chuck a bucket of water over it whilst it's sat out there miaowing, it will learn much faster :luxhello:

sbk1972 05 January 2007 05:30 PM

Bucket of water is a good idea.

Although, a well known way of scary off cats is me drunk, as that normally scares off any pussy !

:-) hahaha

SBK

skiddus_markus 05 January 2007 05:37 PM

Strange,I find being drunk makes me extraordinarily attractive to pussy.In my head.

andythejock01wrx 05 January 2007 05:43 PM

Can't see the problem - surely it can't be too difficult to wrap a piece of wire around the catflap and connect it to the mains - then it'll only come in once !

Ok Mighty, you need a new door. It's gonna look crap otherwise !

SiDHEaD 05 January 2007 06:56 PM

"risk" haha. might smother the baby folks !

dpb 05 January 2017 02:27 PM

Next door neighbor says I can buy cat flap cover, instead of bricking up hole in wall

He said screwfix , does anyone have one?

neil-h 05 January 2017 03:11 PM

What's this, the 10 year bump?

Besides, a claymore is clearly the answer :thumb:

dpb 06 January 2017 03:53 AM

Claymore ?

markjmd 06 January 2017 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11907890)
Next door neighbor says I can buy cat flap cover, instead of bricking up hole in wall

He said screwfix , does anyone have one?

I'm pretty sure one of my exes had one of these fitted towards the end of the relationship (to her person obviously, not the entrance to where she lived :lol1:).

On-the-bog 06 January 2017 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 11908135)
I'm pretty sure one of my exes had one of these fitted towards the end of the relationship (to her person obviously, not the entrance to where she lived :lol1:).

did you try the rear entrance instead?

Jimmyrallye 06 January 2017 08:38 AM

As said just change the panel .. pop the beads out and take measurements also remember to measure thickness of panel.. there normally come on 20m/24m/28m also get one that's reinforced with ply inside otherwise very easy just to boot in .. I do this all the time for as work for council

neil-h 06 January 2017 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11908128)
Claymore ?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...8d7629a8de.jpg

Anti-personel mine, far easier than blocking the cat flap and you'll struggle to find anything in the animal kingdom that'll try to get through it twice.

On-the-bog 06 January 2017 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11908128)
Claymore ?

holy sh1t!!!! Don;t you ever watch any action films? :lol1:

dpb 06 January 2017 09:15 AM

Thought might be brand blended whisky !

neil-h 06 January 2017 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 11908164)
Thought might be brand blended whisky !

Also a good solution, forget the cat flap and have a quick dram instead.

stevebt 06 January 2017 02:57 PM

Superglue until you get a new door as you obviously won't be keeping a damaged door on a new home.

njkmrs 06 January 2017 05:58 PM

You ever think a bit of extra pussy coming through the door might be a good thing...!