ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Who's an exercise/gym loon? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/570986-whos-an-exercise-gym-loon.html)

StiX 12 August 2007 09:47 PM

Been doing weights since I was 16, now 38.

4 times a week, weights & cardio everytime. As somebody said above, maintenance rather than muscle gain.

Also Kyokushinkai Karate twice a week - sweat like a bugger every session :thumb:

Puff The Magic Wagon! 12 August 2007 10:04 PM

Not sure where this puts me but for the last year been on a fitness kick and every day get up and do 20 mins cardio (rowing/x-trainer) followed by weights/sit-ups for another 20 mins or so, then karate things (knees/hips/kicks). Karate lessons for 2-4 hrs week & biking @ w/ends (no time during the week). Am 42.

Been away the last week and itching to get back to training - must be sad but feel good.

NeilT 13 August 2007 09:14 AM

used to do the gym thing years ago, but got bored of it very quickly - the same repititiveness.

now do 3-4 hrs of karate a week and trail run (6 miles once or twice a week).

I'm 35 now.

Neil

CooperS 13 August 2007 09:45 AM

I obsessively avoid the gym unfortunately.

hutton_d 13 August 2007 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Paul3446 (Post 6503005)

So many people go once and say "I'm going to go 3 times a week from now on" and after 2 weeks admit that they just can't be arsed and would rather boil their heads!

That's why so many people are lard ar5es and can't even run for the bus!

Was a fairly regular goier but, as someone mentioned, 40+ and kids take its tol. 46 with a 3 year old even more so!

Though he loved daddy driving the dodgems at the fair on Sunday. You can tel already that he'll be the one attempting the black runs before the blue 'cos they're more exciting!

Dave

Matteeboy 13 August 2007 11:20 AM

Serious thread revival!

Got more into trail running now -Did a pretty extreme (as in mud, streams, etc) 10k trail run (43rd out of 171 - all club runners except me and my cousin) in 52m27s so not too bad.
Get 24m 5k trail times at the moment.

Biking less (wife 6 months pregnant so can't cycle too much) but surfing more.

Alexppp 13 August 2007 11:39 AM

Train 7 days a week with 4 weight training with Cardio and the rest is more cardio with Kung Fu. Been doing that for about 10 years. Feeling Fit is puts you on top of the world.:thumb:

Alexppp

kingofturds 13 August 2007 12:02 PM

It also helps that there are some rather nice ladies at the gym, bouncy bouncy:norty: thank god they have not heard of sports bras

Matteeboy 13 August 2007 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds (Post 7179239)
It also helps that there are some rather nice ladies at the gym, bouncy bouncy:norty: thank god they have not heard of sports bras

They'll wish they had heard of them once they hit mid 30s though...

GazTheHat 13 August 2007 12:34 PM

Used to be obsessed. 4 times a week for years. Weighing food, complete Hulk. Gym owner was pushing to try comps. Yeah-right!

Now it seems a time-issue, and i can't be arsed. Pleasantly surprised to find it doesn't just go away, still get Popeye/arnie comments. :) Must be all the DiY/Building...

jonc 13 August 2007 12:59 PM

Weight training used to be an obsession. I started out about 12 years ago when I was 9.5 stone weakling. Tried out every muscle building supplement under the sun over the years. Got my best results binning the supplements and just eating nothing but pasta and chicken breast (boiled), 6 meals every day 7 days a week, but could only manage it for 6 months. But manage to pack on a stone of muscle and my body fat ratio went down from 18% to 15%.

I only train intermittantly now for maintenance since having children, lost a stone of muscle since but fat ratio is now around 18% and I'm now 12.5 stone.

Matteeboy 13 August 2007 01:37 PM

Jonc - bloody hell - are you a clone of me?!!

Sounds almost exactly like my "story" - except I was 9.5 stone and quite ridiculously fit.
Ended up 12.5 stone after two years slogging and eating the right foods.
Now toned down to 11.5 stone after a couple of years intensive cardio. BF% about 9% now.

Freak 13 August 2007 02:49 PM

couple of miles run most days

SJ_Skyline 13 August 2007 03:03 PM

I spent the last couple of weeks with a really bad cough and cold - just knowing that it was going to be hell going back to the gym.

Managed a 25 minute 5km on Sunday which was pleasantly surprising. :) Only 4 weeks until my next race (last in the series) which is a short 5 hour adventure race. We need about 450 points from the race to win our class which will mean promotion into the masters class next year... :eek:

mrtheedge2u2 13 August 2007 03:09 PM

When I lived on the Isle of Man I used to go 5 times a week for about 3 hours a go...... used to be super-hunky and toned back then...... :)

Everyone knows it is pull up's that use most muscle groups

Matteeboy 13 August 2007 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2 (Post 7179620)
When I lived on the Isle of Man I used to go 5 times a week for about 3 hours a go...... used to be super-hunky and toned back then...... :)

Everyone knows it is pull up's that use most muscle groups

Hence being a part of my routine for many years!

Probably the best bit of kit I have ever bought:

http://www.gizoo.co.uk/Products/Heal...c-powerBar.jpg

Steve Whitehorn 13 August 2007 04:01 PM

Yes pull ups and press ups - the king of exercises.
Had to stop pull ups for about 6months :( -golfers elbow!
But have the feeling I might be ready to go back to them.
Probaly start doing half the reps I used to and build up

I find that frustrating with exercise. You get to a good standard - say pull ups and then something goes. You have to lay off that exercise for a few months and you are back to square one!

Press ups - really work for me. I do all sorts of variations. Personaly I find they give me real strength, work many muscle groups, a good power to weight ratio and help to develop that wiry explosiveness that you need for a good hard punch.

I stay a constant Ten and 3/4 stone. It never seems to change up or down.

Steve

Matteeboy 13 August 2007 04:07 PM

Steve - have you seen my "chinese press up" at all?
A real challenge, even for a press up ninja!

I was chief press up torturer at kickboxing - even two years after leaving, I still get requests from my instructor for torturous exercises!

kingofturds 13 August 2007 04:21 PM

Where did you get that bar matte

Steve Whitehorn 13 August 2007 04:35 PM

Sounds like we are out of the same mould fella LOL.
Have also spent afair amount of time pushing people over the edge :)

Yes - allways interested in new variations. So tell me about the chinese press up and I will give it a bash.

A good one I use to assess how strong people are in body and mind is

10 press ups
Hold in the upright press up position for 10 seconds
9 press ups
8 press ups
Hold in the upright press up position for 10 seconds.....

All the way down to one...So.

1 press up
Then press ups to exhaustion

The whole exercise last abouts 2.40-50 seconds - In which time you are in the press up position.
It comprises of 55press ups plus the exhaustion ones at the end

Its a good benchmark if you get someone to do it. You can see how strong their mind is and also score them when they stop at 2press ups or 6press ups or whatever

Cheers
Steve

I am training someone tonight. So get that Chinese P Up info over :)

Matteeboy 13 August 2007 04:42 PM

KoT - Got it off ebay - Just type in Powerbar. DON'T use Boystuff or similar - utterly useless - Can find the link if you need it -very quick delivery and good value too (about £30).

Steve - Took some pics a while back. We used to do your press up technique in KBing - it is indeed a killer.

Okay excuse the funny trousers and hall - Start with your thumb and forefingers making a "diamond" about 8 inches from your knees - put your head "in" that diamond.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...m/IMG_0532.jpg

Push your legs up straight (or as straight as possible!) - this is the start position:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...m/IMG_0533.jpg

Push up into this position:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...m/IMG_0534.jpg

It's very difficult and really tests your tricep strength - I do ten as part of my triceps routine but don't know anyone that can push more than three - Go for it!

Steve Whitehorn 13 August 2007 05:03 PM

Thanks M
OK will let you know how I get on.
Will give it a go tonight
Steve

Steve Whitehorn 13 August 2007 06:46 PM

Well gave it ago.
Kin hard.
A real good one thanks.
I did.......6
The bloke I was training did 3
Will work at it and see what I can do with it.
I am officialy middle aged now (41) LOL so we shall see.
Like you, my training is military-boxing orientated. Have lots floating around in my head - but always good to get new ideas or get reminded of stuff I have long forgotton.
So if you have any more killer exercises let me know
Thanks again
Steve
(you look like you are doing that lot in a doorway to a sauna)

Matteeboy 14 August 2007 08:33 AM

Steve - Nice one - that's bloody impressive!
Gecko press ups are pretty good - also do ten hand stand press ups (against the "sauna" wall!) which are hard work.

My main press ups are done between three chairs - feet on one, a hand on the other two - drop "below" ground level for a more intense press up (but you probably know that one!)

mrtheedge2u2 14 August 2007 09:04 AM

I agree with what you are saying, most importantly technique is always and prominent factor. Get it right and the results can be great, get it wrong (or cheat) and the results can end up in disaster or little gain.

SideShowBob 15 August 2007 09:20 AM

I go 4/5 times a week, have done for about a year and a half. Started out at 10 stone 2 and am now at 11 stone 9, mostly muscle but still a bit of unwanted fat, nothing major but more in the middle age spread area than Id like.

I started at gym's about 4 times in the past and ended up hardly going, but this time when I joined something is different and Ive been really dedicated and absolutely love it now, especially weight training.

I do three weight days (pull, push, legs) and two cardio days tues and thurs, gives a decent mix.

Im only 5"7, so 11st9 means I have a decent size build, but also probably limits me to around 12st5, otherwise you start looking like some sort of body builder freak, and I prefer a strong build but also something of an athletic stance, sort of rugby league build.

Out of curiosity, what height to weight are people here? like 5"7 11st9, interested to see what height people are and what they weigh at that height.

kingofturds 15 August 2007 09:30 AM

6ft and 13 stone. I am going to get me one of those bars:thumb: I had one of those york bars that you screw in the doorway and knocked myself clean out one night going to get a drink, forgetting that I had left it up

SJ_Skyline 15 August 2007 09:35 AM

6ft 1", 12 stone and about 11% body fat. I'm into stupid distance running and biking rather than weight training. :)

Matteeboy 15 August 2007 09:42 AM

Bob - I'm 5'8" and 11.5 stone -Peaked at about 12.5 stone but it started to affect my surfing (I sank a lot, it was hard to catch waves!) so upped the cardio and toned it down a bit.

Happy at current weight.

Ran 5k trail run followed directly by an 8m MTB blast yesterday - rather fun.

kingofturds 15 August 2007 09:42 AM

Annoying thing is though I used to be able to eat/drink what I wanted and never put on weight and look fit. As soon as I turned 25 though it all changed:mad: I came back from a 2 week holiday in Cyprus and had put on nearly a stone:eek: