ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   WTF are these???? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/558159-wtf-are-these.html)

Markus 13 November 2006 02:21 PM

I could maybe understand having them at the top/bottom of a thread, so you could digg/bookmark the thread. But do we really need to be able to bookmark/digg every post? It's not too difficult to work out how to click the post number/permalink item and then bookmark the result, or copy and paste the URL.

jasey 13 November 2006 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Markus

What does that do - so many things to click :)

DCI Gene Hunt 13 November 2006 02:26 PM

Quick reply! I've never used this............ wow it is quick as well

jasey 13 November 2006 02:27 PM

I've never even seen it

StickyMicky 13 November 2006 05:27 PM

is addblock really that good?

SwissTony 13 November 2006 06:01 PM

all part of the improvement process I am told :D

enjoy :D

if you dont "digg" my post, you can can "furl" off :D

SwissTony 13 November 2006 06:07 PM

since there is no FAQ section yet (are you listening shaun :D )

here is the run down on the new icons

What is del.icio.us?

del.icio.us is a collection of favorites - yours and everyone else's. You can use del.icio.us to:

Keep links to your favorite articles, blogs, music, reviews, recipes, and more, and access them from any computer on the web.
Share favorites with friends, family, coworkers, and the del.icio.us community.
Discover new things. Everything on del.icio.us is someone's favorite -- they've already done the work of finding it. So del.icio.us is full of bookmarks about technology, entertainment, useful information, and more. Explore and enjoy.
del.icio.us is a social bookmarking website -- the primary use of del.icio.us is to store your bookmarks online, which allows you to access the same bookmarks from any computer and add bookmarks from anywhere, too. On del.icio.us, you can use tags to organize and remember your bookmarks, which is a much more flexible system than folders.

What does Technorati do?
Technorati indexes the live web within minutes, providing its users with up-to-date information about the topics and authors they care about. Technorati is the authority on what is happening right now on the live web including the blogosphere.

Furl is a free service that saves a personal copy of any page you find on the Web, and lets you find it again instantly by searching your archive of pages. It's your Personal Web.
Furl offers the best ways to share the content you find on the Web, and recommends new Web pages that may interest you. You can also search Furl to find the best sites that other people are saving.

Furl is used for many purposes by many types of people. For travel planning. Recipe sharing. House-hunting. Medical research. Thousands of people use Furl every day to save, share and discover information that is important to them.

Instantly. Simply. Guaranteed.

Digg is a user driven social content website. Ok, so what the heck does that mean? Well, everything on digg is submitted by the digg user community (that would be you). After you submit content, other digg users read your submission and digg what they like best. If your story rocks and receives enough diggs, it is promoted to the front page for the millions of digg visitors to see.

SwissTony 13 November 2006 06:08 PM

In summary, all four do pretty much the same thing...so if you are going to use them (and I will leave my opinion out of this : ), then only use one...

SwissTony 13 November 2006 06:12 PM

and here are "cool" people you can join as part of the DIGG team...they rock ...........:Whatever_ :Whatever_ :Whatever_ :Whatever_

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...Picture1-1.png

Bat-Fink 13 November 2006 06:13 PM

Load of old ****e.

What is the point of all this?

Give me ONE good reason.

SwissTony 13 November 2006 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bat-Fink
Load of old ****e.

What is the point of all this?

Give me ONE good reason.

cos you can be as cool as the guy six from the left as well :lol1:

kingofturds 13 November 2006 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by SwissTony
since there is no FAQ section yet (are you listening shaun :D )

here is the run down on the new icons

What is del.icio.us?

del.icio.us is a collection of favorites - yours and everyone else's. You can use del.icio.us to:

Keep links to your favorite articles, blogs, music, reviews, recipes, and more, and access them from any computer on the web.
Share favorites with friends, family, coworkers, and the del.icio.us community.
Discover new things. Everything on del.icio.us is someone's favorite -- they've already done the work of finding it. So del.icio.us is full of bookmarks about technology, entertainment, useful information, and more. Explore and enjoy.
del.icio.us is a social bookmarking website -- the primary use of del.icio.us is to store your bookmarks online, which allows you to access the same bookmarks from any computer and add bookmarks from anywhere, too. On del.icio.us, you can use tags to organize and remember your bookmarks, which is a much more flexible system than folders.

What does Technorati do?
Technorati indexes the live web within minutes, providing its users with up-to-date information about the topics and authors they care about. Technorati is the authority on what is happening right now on the live web including the blogosphere.

Furl is a free service that saves a personal copy of any page you find on the Web, and lets you find it again instantly by searching your archive of pages. It's your Personal Web.
Furl offers the best ways to share the content you find on the Web, and recommends new Web pages that may interest you. You can also search Furl to find the best sites that other people are saving.

Furl is used for many purposes by many types of people. For travel planning. Recipe sharing. House-hunting. Medical research. Thousands of people use Furl every day to save, share and discover information that is important to them.

Instantly. Simply. Guaranteed.

Digg is a user driven social content website. Ok, so what the heck does that mean? Well, everything on digg is submitted by the digg user community (that would be you). After you submit content, other digg users read your submission and digg what they like best. If your story rocks and receives enough diggs, it is promoted to the front page for the millions of digg visitors to see.

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :p

SwissTony 13 November 2006 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds
:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :p

too much w**king :D

Bat-Fink 13 November 2006 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by SwissTony
cos you can be as cool as the guy six from the left as well :lol1:

Reason enough for me.:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

David Lock 13 November 2006 06:49 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...Picture1-1.png

But there is hope, The chap on far left is about to diggi a fecking great hole for the lot of them :D

(includng bloke whose foot operation went tits up)

Fuzz 13 November 2006 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
is addblock really that good?

You tell me :D

http://www.ashlyn.plus.com/misc/adblock.jpg

Andy

Abdabz 13 November 2006 07:19 PM

Its a distracting pile of plop and I sir, I am not amused :mad:

Markus 13 November 2006 08:15 PM

If anyone is using a Mac, then Pith Helmet is a rather good AdBlocker and from the quick test I've done, it will remove the annoying little badges, plus GoogleAds and Banner Ads too. It is possible to customise things so I would guess you could put back in the images you do want to see.

Markus 13 November 2006 08:23 PM

Have a look here for info on why these things have quite possibly be put on. Bottom line, income generation. There's a shock! Obviously Google/Banner ads, forum sponsorship and Zoints aren't making enough money for SN, so add in these annoying icons to generate even more cash, but, at the same time, piss off your users as they probably do not want additional clutter on the forum.

Alan C 13 November 2006 08:28 PM

My company website(s) are moving with the times and are actively going down the uncluttered route and removing Ads, popups and unnecessary stuff. This is what Google did many years ago and it was breath of fresh air...

The difference is simply stunning as it makes the whole experience more user friendly. We are actively looking after our users and the feedback is that they appreciate the thought. They simply don't want to have to dig through screen space that's full of irrelevant rubbish.

I'm sorry to say that this post, and every other SNET post, now occupies a diminishing amount of screen space and is being drowned out by an increasing series of website 'noise'. This is all in the name of revenue.

Posts are what keep this place running and I'm afraid to say it's becoming more of a commercial market place where it's users are taking second place.

I appreciate that a site like this needs a lot of work, time & money to keep running, but its life blood (you & I) is becoming less and less important as individuals and more important as a collective number on a site counter...

jasey 13 November 2006 08:33 PM

The question is will the death of scoobynet come before the house market crash - too close to call :D

Markus 13 November 2006 08:38 PM

Personally speaking, I think SN makes more than enough to keep running from the Banner Ads and Forum Sponsorship. Then add in Google Ads, Zoints (perhaps that was a failure that didn't generate as much as was hoped, possibly because the majority of us thought it was a crap idea and thus we don't use it).

I do think that if SN was costing more to run than is being made we'd be asked to dip into our pockets to help things out. It's not as if it's a forum with only a few users on it. If some sections, say Technical, were made subscription only then you could generate a bit of income. Having said that though, it's probably not the best thing to do, people will simply gravitate to another site where it doesn't cost to ask questions.

I would have thought if money was tight then Shaun/Simon would ask us to donate, rather than adding in more and more things that really just serve to annoy people and possibly drive them away.

ScoobyNet has changed and will continue to do so, but it seems to be changing from a community entity into a commercial one, and in some ways that might not be for the best.

ScoobLou 13 November 2006 08:40 PM

I don't like em :(

Markus 13 November 2006 08:48 PM

Does anyone else find it odd that there hasn't been any comment from Simon/Shaun or the Mods (probably under a gagging order from Simon and Shaun :D) about this new greed facilitator... oops, sorry, "feature" of the BBS.

ScoobLou 13 November 2006 08:50 PM

Does anyone else find it odd that there hasn't been any comment from Simon/Shaun or the Mods (probably under a gagging order from Simon and Shaun :D) about this new greed facilitator... oops, sorry, "feature" of the BBS.

No, I find that normal :D

Captain Jack 13 November 2006 08:56 PM

I suppose it's better than the response the members got after Adsense was implemented, namely "if you don't like it, eff off"

I seem to remember at the time the mere mention of adblocking the new 'feature' pre-empted a slightly more aggressive reaction from "those who would pimp our souls to google"! :D

Suresh 13 November 2006 09:06 PM

If you're using Firefox, download addblock and then right click the images to "adblock image" and then you'll never have to see the page clutter again!! :thumb:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865/

Tam the bam 13 November 2006 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Suresh
If you're using Firefox, download addblock and then right click the images to "adblock image" and then you'll never have to see the page clutter again!! :thumb:

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865/

That's exactly what I done :thumb:

Markus 13 November 2006 09:10 PM

Rather than clicking on each image, try this instead:

Originally Posted by oik
add https://www.scoobynet.com/images/vbseo/* to your adblock script ;)

Suresh 13 November 2006 09:15 PM

Rather than clicking on each image, try this instead:

Maar een beetje te laat voor mij! Ik zie van je lokatie dat je nederlands praat. Klopt dat?