ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Big XBox 360 Update Tomorrow (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/554945-big-xbox-360-update-tomorrow.html)

bob269 01 November 2006 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
If you have to ask then there's no point him explaining :)

You can buy a £30-£40 dvd/divx player which is capable of playing your crappy quality movie/pron divx, so please explain why divx justifies spending just under £280 on a games console.

Iain Young 01 November 2006 10:10 AM

There is no point in buying it solely for that, and nobody in their right mind would buy a console specifically for that feature. However, it's a nice addition to have :)

STi wanna Subaru 01 November 2006 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by bob269
You can buy a £30-£40 dvd/divx player which is capable of playing your crappy quality movie/pron divx, so please explain why divx justifies spending just under £280 on a games console.

You don't buy it for that reason but for those who are using an Xbox with XBMC and streaming downloaded TV shows such as Lost, 24, Prison Break from their PC the ability to watch DivX on their 360 is a big feature to have when you've got so used to it on your original Xbox. Saves buying a DVD player for the job as well as having an extra box under your TV.

DJ Dunk 01 November 2006 10:21 AM

Support for DivX HD (720p) would make more sense, but of course legacy DivX support would be a bonus. I'd expect MS to be more keen on providing support for the former, who knows what they will pull out of the bag ;)

jaytc2003 01 November 2006 10:26 AM

heres a question, I tried playing a dvd in my 360 but the option on the dashboard wouldnt let me select it. Do I need the media remot control?

messiah 01 November 2006 10:34 AM

a regular DVD? I just use the controller - i nicked the batteries out of the remote ages ago...

jaytc2003 01 November 2006 10:39 AM

hmm tried with the controller, but just wouldnt go down to the play dvd option as it was greyed out.

Is it possible to stream tv from my computer to the 360 (cancelled sky so have their freeview but no E4 but my computer has a digital card)

messiah 01 November 2006 10:51 AM

whats the dvd?

try switching autoplay on and see what happens.

boxst 01 November 2006 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by STi wanna Subaru
You don't buy it for that reason but for those who are using an Xbox with XBMC and streaming downloaded TV shows such as Lost, 24, Prison Break from their PC the ability to watch DivX on their 360 is a big feature to have when you've got so used to it on your original Xbox. Saves buying a DVD player for the job as well as having an extra box under your TV.

Exactly. I have my Xbox to play games, and it happens to be convenient to download Lost, Jericho etc.. and then stream it to play them on the Television. Rather than burn a DVD etc...

Of course what would be cool, is Bit Torrent for the Xbox.

Steve

jaytc2003 01 November 2006 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by messiah
whats the dvd?

try switching autoplay on and see what happens.

ahhhh will have a play about with settings as I havent done that yet!

RB5-Black 01 November 2006 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by boxst

Of course what would be cool, is Bit Torrent for the Xbox.

I was thinking the same thing but for the Marketplace downloads. I dl'd the rainbow 6 demo at some horrible rate and thought it would be a lot better if the 360 had a form of P2P bit torrent client.

You wouldn't need to see it or do anything other than be connected to live and not in a live game (just like the active downloads) and the torrent client could take the strain off the main MS server ?

jaytc2003 02 November 2006 09:51 AM

updated mine yesterday, now it cant see my desktop.
I had updated to media player 11 on the desktop and I set up media connect again and also set up media player 11 to allow access to the xbox and I can see the xbox on my desktop, but the xbox itself cant find a computer. Everything appears to be okay in my router as well, sharing is enabled there and no security settings have changed

Iain Young 02 November 2006 10:15 AM

MP11 needs certain ports open in your firewall to enable the xbox to see it. If they are not open, then your pc will be able to see the xbox, but the xbox won't be able to find the pc.

Readme for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP

Specifically, you have to open up...

TCP - 2869
UDP - 1900

jaytc2003 03 November 2006 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Iain Young
MP11 needs certain ports open in your firewall to enable the xbox to see it. If they are not open, then your pc will be able to see the xbox, but the xbox won't be able to find the pc.

Readme for Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP

Specifically, you have to open up...

TCP - 2869
UDP - 1900

ahhhh of course, I have opened them up on the xbox so that explains why the pc can see that, just need to open them on the pc side of things then (through the router)

ChristianR 03 November 2006 08:13 PM

Updated support for new Daylight Savings changes coming in 2007.

whats that about???

Iain Young 03 November 2006 11:39 PM

America. They're changing the dates on which they change the clocks.

badcompany 10 November 2006 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by webmaster
Mmmmmm.... upscaling to 1080p! :)

Will be nice to finally hook the 360 up to my Dell widescreen monitor to get the best picture! :D :D

is your a 24 inch screen ..please say yes ...:notworthy