ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   M5 eater caught testing (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/551742-m5-eater-caught-testing.html)

Edcase 17 October 2006 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by TimmyboyWRX
even Edcase with his old rs6 said it dont feel fast,?

i've still got it :eek:

for now ;)

Nevetas 17 October 2006 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
pah!! you said that about the GT3 :p

Dan :D

I just can't make my mind up can I! ;)

Edcase 17 October 2006 11:15 PM

Nought wrong with that! :)

We're finally now looking at moving out to probably surrey or similar, with a big fat garage at last. Starting to dream about supercharged Exiges and the like...;)

Be interesting to compare the RS6, RS4 and E39 M5 back to back. Group test? :D

GCollier 18 October 2006 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
An utterly irrelevant vehicle. It'll weigh the thick end of 2 tonnes and totally insulate you from any sensation of speed. Buy the same car with a less stupid engine and get yourself a nice supercharged Exige instead.

In the real world outside the bravado of evo magazine articles an RS audi is probably the most relevant vehicle it's possible to buy.

I have the current RS6 avant and as an all round vehicle for someone with a family it's easily the finest car I've ever owned. I used to change my car every 12-18 months, but I simply cannot think of anything I can replace it with.

Gary.

Blueblaster 18 October 2006 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by GCollier
In the real world outside the bravado of evo magazine articles an RS audi is probably the most relevant vehicle it's possible to buy.

I have the current RS6 avant and as an all round vehicle for someone with a family it's easily the finest car I've ever owned. I used to change my car every 12-18 months, but I simply cannot think of anything I can replace it with.

Gary.

Erm, no. An A6 Avant with a 200ish bhp diesel or, if you really must, petrol engine is relevant. A 600bhp, 4wd living room is not. I appreciate your RS6 is a fantastic car, but every time you put our foot down you will be doing licence losing speeds in seconds. Yes, you will get a big shove in the back when it takes off, but it requires no driver skill and is utterly insulating. I appeciate that for the family man the RS6 offers hope of a bit of practical fun, but in the end you are paying a £30k premium over an A6 V6 for a few seconds of fun now and again. £30k buys an awful lot of fun. I'd spend it elsewhere, but the world would be very dull if we were all the same.

AudiLover 18 October 2006 06:13 PM

^ If you take that attitude on vehicles I will expecting you to have a caterham or something along those lines. Just because something does or soesnt suit you doesnt make it the same for everyone else.

pauld37 18 October 2006 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by AudiLover
Just because something does or soesnt suit you doesnt make it the same for everyone else.

And you should know ;)

AudiLover 18 October 2006 06:27 PM

except when it comes to SUV's. Unless you do real offroading your a ****. And if you buy a offroading incapable X5 your a **** regardless of location. :lol1:

Gastro 18 October 2006 07:13 PM

Nevatas - the RS4 is a lovely car no doubt.
But IMHO thats one of the most backward steps I've seen. Madness !

Jumping out of an E60 M5 into an RS4 :confused:

I doubt you'll have that for 3 months :eek:

Oh....... and <back on topic> - I doubt the RS6 will ever be a worthy competitor to the M5 either (as a drivers car) - it'll be much better than the outgoing version RS6 (which wasn't exactly a drivers car with tiptronic) but thats about all - all IMHO of course.

AudiLover 18 October 2006 07:15 PM

Actually there are quite alot of people who sold their E60 M5 for a B7 RS4. Also some UK car mag, cant remeber which one said they preffered the RS4 on their long term test.

The M5's interior is poor fdor the money, the rides a bit cack and the gearbox is cack.

Nat 18 October 2006 07:24 PM

Actually there are quite alot of people who sold their E60 M5 for a B7 RS4. Also some UK car mag, cant remeber which one said they preffered the RS4 on their long term test.

The M5's interior is poor fdor the money, the rides a bit cack and the gearbox is cack.

That your own personal opinion of them after driving one?

AudiLover 18 October 2006 07:26 PM

yes, being a passenger in one though.

No doubt its good for driving fast, but everything else its not very good at. A one trick pony, and who would require such a big vehicle to do such things? Surely they would just get a propper sports car in the beggining?

Nevetas 18 October 2006 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gastro
Nevatas - the RS4 is a lovely car no doubt.
But IMHO thats one of the most backward steps I've seen. Madness !

Jumping out of an E60 M5 into an RS4 :confused:

I doubt you'll have that for 3 months :eek:

Oh....... and <back on topic> - I doubt the RS6 will ever be a worthy competitor to the M5 either (as a drivers car) - it'll be much better than the outgoing version RS6 (which wasn't exactly a drivers car with tiptronic) but thats about all - all IMHO of course.

Gastro, I sold the M5 for a MK V Golf R32, thats backwards! However I have an RT12 due next year, fear not ;)

I'm spending more and more time in Germany, clocked up way to may miles, and the petrol costs were out of control. I'm used to 20ish mpg M5 was stupid 10-11-12ish :eek:

R32 was nice, I could leave it anywhere, it did lack top end grunt, but then got offered a cancelled order on an RS4. Went for a test drive and instantly liked it.

It may not be as fast in a straight line as an M5, but it beats it in almost all other ways. Point to Point it's much more sure footed.

I would not swap it for an M5, M5 was a big let down for me. It's without doubt the fastest thing 0-168mph, but after a while the novelty of that wears off.

I might even keep the RS4 and run it alongside the RT12 I've been so impressed with it. :thumb:

It's probaby the best car I've ever owned (and there's been a few ;) )

Nat 18 October 2006 08:11 PM

yes, being a passenger in one though.

No doubt its good for driving fast, but everything else its not very good at. A one trick pony, and who would require such a big vehicle to do such things? Surely they would just get a propper sports car in the beggining?

Wouldn't say it's a One trick pony. I haven't had the pleasure yet but from reading reviews and speaking to friends who have driven it it seems like it does a lot of things well. I'd imagine a lot of people with one have a sports car as well but equally a lot of owners have it as their only car and require it to perform a multitude of roles.

Nevetas 18 October 2006 08:12 PM

I did like the ride, and I LOVE the smg, but guess thats personal preferance. Interior isn't the greatest, must aggree.

I can understand completely why people would change though.

alcazar 18 October 2006 08:22 PM

Jeeeeee-sus. It looks like a fukcin' HEARSE:nono:

Alcazar

itworldwide 18 October 2006 08:27 PM

RS6 at a funeral dealer near you :)

AudiLover 18 October 2006 08:33 PM

BMW are making a touring 5er so I guess it will be battle of the hearses soon.

Gastro 18 October 2006 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nevetas
Gastro, I sold the M5 for a MK V Golf R32, thats backwards! However I have an RT12 due next year, fear not ;)

I'm spending more and more time in Germany, clocked up way to may miles, and the petrol costs were out of control. I'm used to 20ish mpg M5 was stupid 10-11-12ish :eek:

R32 was nice, I could leave it anywhere, it did lack top end grunt, but then got offered a cancelled order on an RS4. Went for a test drive and instantly liked it.

It may not be as fast in a straight line as an M5, but it beats it in almost all other ways. Point to Point it's much more sure footed.

I would not swap it for an M5, M5 was a big let down for me. It's without doubt the fastest thing 0-168mph, but after a while the novelty of that wears off.

I might even keep the RS4 and run it alongside the RT12 I've been so impressed with it. :thumb:

It's probaby the best car I've ever owned (and there's been a few ;) )

Fair play.
An RT12......... now that is in a league of its own. Well done ! :thumb:
Have you specc'd it yet ? colour/power options etc?

Gastro 18 October 2006 09:17 PM

For once I agree with you ;)

The interior has to be quite specifically specc'd to give it a special feeling.
And..... having heard some SMG nightmares, I'm also of the opinion that its a nice idea, just not great for reliability etc.

cat7 19 October 2006 07:57 AM

rt12....

as in ruf?

you can have my left kidney for a ride in that you lucky lucky boy!

Blow Dog 19 October 2006 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
Erm, no. An A6 Avant with a 200ish bhp diesel or, if you really must, petrol engine is relevant. A 600bhp, 4wd living room is not. I appreciate your RS6 is a fantastic car, but every time you put our foot down you will be doing licence losing speeds in seconds. Yes, you will get a big shove in the back when it takes off, but it requires no driver skill and is utterly insulating. I appeciate that for the family man the RS6 offers hope of a bit of practical fun, but in the end you are paying a £30k premium over an A6 V6 for a few seconds of fun now and again. £30k buys an awful lot of fun. I'd spend it elsewhere, but the world would be very dull if we were all the same.

HAHAH - for a minute there I thought you were comparing an A6 Diesel with an RS6.

It was a joke right? AM I RITE?! LOLZ

Blow Dog 19 October 2006 08:14 PM

Back on topic, the M5 really excites me at the moment for so many reasons. Just seeing one on the road makes me stop and stare.

This RS6 just doesn't appear to have the visual muscle that one craves for in a super saloon.

AudiLover 19 October 2006 08:23 PM

i see about two m5s daily. Theyre nothing special or standout anymore cause a sport bodykitted normal 5er looks just as aggressive and mean.

Scooby-Doo 19 October 2006 08:44 PM

i see about two m5s daily. Theyre nothing special or standout anymore cause a sport bodykitted normal 5er looks just as aggressive and mean.

You must go to a posh school if two teachers have got M5's.

AudiLover 19 October 2006 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo
You must go to a posh school if two teachers have got M5's.

:rolleyes:

bada-boom-tishhh

Trout 19 October 2006 08:56 PM

Even BMW think Audis are fabulous ;)

http://www.wallis2000.co.uk/uploads/pic05604.jpg

AudiLover 19 October 2006 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Even BMW think Audis are fabulous ;)

http://www.wallis2000.co.uk/uploads/pic05604.jpg

Audi has the same sentiments ;)

http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/3...bmwsub2hf8.jpg

Edcase 19 October 2006 10:26 PM

Easy solution....own them both!!! :thumb:

RS6_M5_small.jpg @ Fotopic.Net
RS6_M5_small_4.jpg @ Fotopic.Net
RS6_M5_small_3.jpg @ Fotopic.Net

Prefer the E39 to the E60 and, based on the spy shots, I'm gonna prefer the current RS6 to the new one also! Newer isn't always better.

Now, which one to drive at the weekend.... :D

Martin2005 19 October 2006 10:35 PM

Blimey Audi Lover, are you shagging someone who works for Audi?