ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   130 k mortgage (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/549966-130-k-mortgage.html)

john banks 11 October 2006 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
Getting a bit anal there, Dr Banks - My rough guide is just that a rough guide, but strangely it works out to within 40 quid or so of the real cost calculated correctly. :p

Oh and I do understand how to calculate loan and interest repayments correctly after over 25 years in the finance industry, but felt that it would be complete overkill for the original poster who clearly isn't up to speed in this area...

If anal=correct then rough=incorrect :p ;)

I'm glad you think that a 7% error is minor. I wonder why I don't trust much of the financial services industry if when they quote something incorrect that it then doesn't matter?

Anyone thinking that 1.5% increase in interest rates over the next two years is a worst case needs to look at a few historical charts. Even in relatively benign times it can easily do that per year. Try quadruple that rise in two years to really call it worst case rather than wishful thinking. Some believe that it is only the low rates that are stopping the whole house of cards coming down. I'm bearish because I'm just waiting to make my next move when it does, but I may well be wrong ;)

Fat Boy 11 October 2006 07:11 PM

oooh, get her

If the original poster can't work out how to calculate it himself in the first place, or how to google an answer, and has to rely on the SN Brains Trust :rolleyes: then the simplest method, albeit a rather crude one, is probably the most appropriate - you've got to know your audience...

Strangely, I've never got a fee calculation wrong when it really matters so far.;)

Anyway each to their own...

john banks 11 October 2006 07:20 PM

Let's dumb everything down for the thickos :D

Nat 11 October 2006 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by john banks
If anal=correct then rough=incorrect :p ;)

I'm glad you think that a 7% error is minor. I wonder why I don't trust much of the financial services industry if when they quote something incorrect that it then doesn't matter?

Anyone thinking that 1.5% increase in interest rates over the next two years is a worst case needs to look at a few historical charts. Even in relatively benign times it can easily do that per year. Try quadruple that rise in two years to really call it worst case rather than wishful thinking. Some believe that it is only the low rates that are stopping the whole house of cards coming down. I'm bearish because I'm just waiting to make my next move when it does, but I may well be wrong ;)

I'm aware that there is the potential for the rate to rise a lot more than 1.5%...but in my opinion it will not. If it does then i may get my fingers burnt a bit but while the rates stay low i'm content turning over a couple of properties a year and while not making a killing by any means (not primary residence, doh) it's a relatively easy way for myself and a friend to make some extra money. If rates spike then i'll have to take it on the chin but while the going is still good i'm prepared to take the risk to make some extra cash; it would be boring being sensible all the time and never taking risks :)

john banks 11 October 2006 08:17 PM

If your rental yield is covering your costs then why not?

FlightMan 11 September 2008 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by john banks (Post 6244562)
Neither the mean or median balance over the life of the mortgage will be half the loan value unless you pay 0% interest.

The correct calculation is:

i=interest rate%/1200 = 5/1200=0.004167 (1200 to convert to fraction and from annual to monthly)
x=(1+i)^300=1.004167^300=3.482 (300 being the number of months in 25 years)
Payment=i*loan*x/(x-1)=0.004167*130000*3.482/2.482=£760

Or if you didn't pay attention in maths, use an internet calculator :rolleyes:

Are these the sort of equations the LHC is hoping to find answers to? :wonder:

:D

Suresh 11 September 2008 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by john banks (Post 6247815)
Let's dumb everything down for the thickos :D

That's why I keep coming back here. Otherwise I'd never understand it all. :lol1:

timmy2take 11 September 2008 10:31 PM

moneysupermarket.com will give you quotes to companies that will accept you.

john banks 11 September 2008 10:55 PM

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/im...on-Posters.jpg

http://www.abrahamslady.com/items/LinenThreadLg.jpg

bioforger 11 September 2008 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by MattN (Post 6246442)
just use PMT function in excel

Must be the time of the month to be using that again :lol1:

fast bloke 11 September 2008 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by john banks (Post 6244562)
Neither the mean or median balance over the life of the mortgage will be half the loan value unless you pay 0% interest.

The correct calculation is:

i=interest rate%/1200 = 5/1200=0.004167 (1200 to convert to fraction and from annual to monthly)
x=(1+i)^300=1.004167^300=3.482 (300 being the number of months in 25 years)
Payment=i*loan*x/(x-1)=0.004167*130000*3.482/2.482=£760

Or if you didn't pay attention in maths, use an internet calculator :rolleyes:

John - I am looking for a new laptop. I don't suppose you fancy the job :D

Scoobychick 12 September 2008 12:16 AM

Have I travelled back in time? :wonder:

fatherpierre 12 September 2008 12:21 AM

I have a mortgage of £137500 on a house I own, taken out 3 yrs ago.

Payment is currently £847pm, or near.

Nat 12 September 2008 12:38 AM

I don't own anything that won't fit in Three large suitcases now (One for shoes,, two for clothes!) :)

MikeCardiff 12 September 2008 09:05 AM

Better answer would be go to an IFA and see what mortgages YOU can actually qualify for, and what the repayments are on those.

Dont assume that the low interest rates you see lenders advertising are available to everyone - in many cases they are only for people who are remortgaging as the lenders offer the low rates to try and tempt people who already have mortgages away from their current lender. If you are a FTB then you may find the interest rates and arrangement fees suddenly shoot up.

Also depends on your employment - I'm self employed, and despite earning more than most people who work for other people, it still cut out a lot of lenders that I could borrow from.

fast bloke 12 September 2008 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff (Post 8126858)
Better answer would be go to an IFA and see what mortgages YOU can actually qualify for, and what the repayments are on those.

Dont assume that the low interest rates you see lenders advertising are available to everyone - in many cases they are only for people who are remortgaging as the lenders offer the low rates to try and tempt people who already have mortgages away from their current lender. If you are a FTB then you may find the interest rates and arrangement fees suddenly shoot up.

Also depends on your employment - I'm self employed, and despite earning more than most people who work for other people, it still cut out a lot of lenders that I could borrow from.

Mike - Check the thread date....... I was wondering what John knew about interest rates increasing over the next two years that everyone else had missed :D

MikeCardiff 12 September 2008 09:34 AM

Doh !

lozgti 12 September 2008 09:46 AM

2006.Happy Days:D

2007 Moved house with 25% /£50,000 down deposit:D

2008 All my equity has gone without me doing anything:D I mean :(

Oh well.House is worth same as the mortgage now but I treat the deposit as never being 'real' money anyway