ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Chocolate question for the oldies.... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/52778-chocolate-question-for-the-oldies.html)

carl 06 November 2001 05:57 PM

Spangels were great -- the same shape as Tunes and came in either fruit flavours or 'old english' flavours (which were all various shades of brown).

Dr Hu 06 November 2001 06:16 PM

My wife was probably the worlds no1 fan of Texan Bars - she did write to Rowntree's who made these a couple of years ago to ask why they did not make them anymore.....she got a letter back saying that products change and go out of fashion etc etc - so no more Texan's - maybe if all the scoobynetters emailed Rowntree every day for the next year we could get them back.......just how CHEWY were they......MMMmmmmmmm!!:)

Beemer_Deano 06 November 2001 06:31 PM

I thought I was the only one that still craved Texans bars!!
I got told Spangles became "Jolly Ranchers", but I've tried them and they're horrible.

On the subject of Caramac, they don't seem to be the bargain basement chocolate anymore - anyone remember "Five pee, Five pee, what can you get for five pee....."? Although I must be really old 'cos I can remember them being 2p.

What about all those cheap apple-pulp chocolate bars you used to get? They were huge but cost about 15p and were full of sickly (but strangely addictive :D) syrupy flavouring?

Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be (sorry).

All the best,

Deano

AllanB 06 November 2001 07:00 PM

Pacers were the daddies of the sweets world and i spent a vast percentage of my hard earned pocket money on them and parma violets.... along with space dust and bazooka joe bubble gum. Anyone remeber bazooka joe. What about that nasty yellow gum that used to come with the starwars cards oh and the black hole cards too.

God I'm feeling old now especially with my 31is coming up on Friday. I've never felt the same since crisps went up over 7p a packet

AllanB

boomer 06 November 2001 07:11 PM

Beemer_Deano

On the subject of Caramac, they don't seem to be the bargain basement chocolate anymore - anyone remember "Five pee, Five pee, what can you get for five pee....."? Although I must be really old 'cos I can remember them being 2p.
...so you are too young to remember penny trays (and even half-penny trays). Thats OLD penny n'all.

They had a choice of liquorice (and red) laces and spirals, penny arrows (and half-penny ones), chews etc.

Rich kids went straight to the sherbet fountains, which were three old pennies each.

...and you try to tell that to the kids of today ;)

mb

BarryK 06 November 2001 10:04 PM

Rainbow sherbert.

The bubble gum with cards and Confederate Dollars?

The bubble gum with posters of "my family"?

Nimbus that stuff even looked like tobacco. It was called Spanish Gold.

fast bloke 06 November 2001 10:31 PM

I used to take 10p to school and get a packet of polo's, a bag of crisps, 2 choccie bars, and a can of coke.

My parents where terribly upset when I got kicked out of school for shoplifting ;)

McMiata Man 07 November 2001 12:24 AM

Brendan, have you tried the "NEW!" as they are advertised, Golden Nuggets. They're not how I remembered them. The old ones went a wee bit soggy and started to expand before you finished them. These new ones stay hard and crunchie right to the end :(

I would say Golden Grahams are more like the original Nuggat.

Sign me up for the Texan return! I always lost half the chocolate coating when I tried to stretch a piece off to chew :) but here was, and never has been a Mightier Chew!

BOB.T 07 November 2001 01:59 AM

Craft, erm yeah here by accident..honest:rolleyes:

Anybody remember when Bounty's used to come with a cardboard tray?

Waifer, blue was milk chocolate, red was plain

Sherbet dib dabs, two seperate pockets of sherbet divided by a yellow stick made of.....what was that stuff:confused:

Bob

Funkii Munkii 07 November 2001 07:10 AM

48 HRS SINCE MY LAST CHOCCY BAR NOW AND THIS THREAD ISNT HELPING, FEEL THINNER THOUGH, FANTASTIC!!

LETS CHUCK ANOTHER IN THE RING, IT WAS CHEWING GUM IN A TINY STRING BAG WITH LOTS OF LITTLE NUGGETS OF CHEWY CANT RECALL WHAT IT WAS CALLED "GOLD DUST" MAYBE??

CARAMACS ARENT THE SAME THEYRE ALL GRITTY NOW LIKE SOMEONE HAS PUT FINE SAND IN THEM, CURLY WURLYS ARE SOFT NOW, THEY USED TO BE LIKE TEXANS, TAKE A BIT OF ONE OF THOSE BABIES AND IF ANYONE WAS WITHIN 6 FOOT OF SAID WURLY YOU COULD TAKE THEIR EYE OUT WITH A CHARD OF FLYING CHOC.

SUGGEST YOU ALL GET A SNICKERS CRUNCHER ROUND YOUR LIPS

SCOOP IT WAS A TOPIC NOT MARATHON THAT HAD A HAZELNUT IN EACH BIT, ALONG WITH THE AFORE MENTIONED SQIRRELS SH1T, YOU CANT EVEN GET SQUIRREL SH1T ANYMORE

THIS CHOCOLATE SELF HELP GROUP IS BRILLIANT!!!

CRAFT 07 November 2001 07:25 AM

"Jesus" this is what it's like at work:rolleyes:
Spanish Gold.....thats been buggin me for ages, cheers MrK:D
The new golden nuggets are crap, I can imagine them now going all
soft and spongie when you ate them...mmmmmm:D
Ooo Ooo Ooo...lets not forget Farley's Rusks, these were the daddies, and still are. Get them from time to time, and are gorgeous, got stopped by a mate of mine down the baby isle in asda
looking for some, he was a bit put out that we hadn't informed him
we had had a baby:confused: bollox to that, they're for me:D:D:D
So, MrK, is that for definate about malteasers, as conspiracy theory dave has asked his other half, and she said that they did use that slogan, and now he doesn't want to play anymore, what I need is hard proof, goin on the choco forum and posting there!

Cheers for the replies peeps!

CRAFThttp://www.theunholytrinity.org/crac...wink/thumb.gif

CRAFT 07 November 2001 07:28 AM

Oi'Bob! don't forget the corner m8:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

CRAFThttp://www.theunholytrinity.org/crac...wink/thumb.gif

BOB.T 07 November 2001 11:53 PM

Nice corner m8, well done:D:D Can't believe I left wide open like that:rolleyes: you sure you're not a muppet?

Geezer 08 November 2001 01:38 PM

Does anyone remember the forerunner of Minstrals?

Galaxy counters! None of the nasty candy coating, just oure Galaxy choccy. You can still enjoy them in Revels though!

Geezer

P.S. I too crave the glory that was Texan Bars. They are sadly missed!

chiark 08 November 2001 01:53 PM

Caramac? The pit stop cafe at Donington was selling 'em last weekend! I was slightly distraught to see Rum tucking into one with obvious relish...

Toerag 08 November 2001 02:30 PM

Has anyone noticed that they've changed the stuff in the middle of milky ways as well?
Speaking of the cards with that stick of crap bubble gum, we had Goonies and Garbage Pail kids cards! And Stinky stickers! and some massive gobstoppers but I've forgotten what they're called!

DazV 08 November 2001 03:10 PM

Geezer - the forerunner you mentioned - did it come in a white packet with a giraffe on it ?

Anyway the true forerunner to the minstral were 'Treats' in a blue or orange packet.

-DV

PS: BRING BACK THE TEXAN BAR

Maxwell Straker 08 November 2001 04:38 PM

The Texan Bar......a mans gotta chew what a mans gotta chew

I think you will find that TREATS were the forerunner to M&M and a peanuty chocolate combo rather that Minstrels:):)

Geezer 08 November 2001 04:38 PM

I think possibly the later ones did.

However, Treats were peanut only, M&Ms came in both, but that is much later

Geezer

Beemer_Deano 08 November 2001 04:51 PM

A man's gotta chew wasn't Texan - it was "Toffo"!

"A man's gotta chew what a man's gotta chew {dramatic pause} TOFFO"

:D

I can't believe that with so many people who crave Texans they won't bring 'em back. We need to start a movement quick - one of my colleagues is 23 and has never heard of them. Don't let the memory of Texans die!

Deano

Funkii Munkii 08 November 2001 05:59 PM

NO NO NO
TREETS CAME IN CHOC / TOFFEE AND PEANUT
I KNOW I ATE ALL THE TOFFEE ONES (BLUE PACKET)
DONT DOUBT IT ,I HAVE 30 YEARS EXPERIANCE OF EATING SWEETS/CHOC TO FALL BACK ON.....

DazV 08 November 2001 06:01 PM

Yes Geezer, treats came in 3 differnt packets:

Minstral type - orange packet
Toffee type - blue packet
Peanut type - yellow packet

Funkii Munkii 08 November 2001 07:46 PM

WEB GURU
YOU CANT BE LOOKING TOO HARD POPPETS STILL EXIST!!

AND CAN I SERIOUSLY RECOMEND POPPETS CHOCOLATE COVERED TOFFEE POPCORN, GREAT FOR THE MUNCHIES, OR EVEN IF YOU ARE A LITTLE PECKISH ;)
GET THEM AT SAINSBURYS (RED BAGS)

Puff The Magic Wagon! 08 November 2001 08:10 PM

Mars Bars are the same size now as they were 25/30 years ago when I was a sprog.

How many times has there been an increase in size?? ;)

"Now 10% bigger!" "Biggest ever bar" etc etc

LOL :rolleyes:

Can't remember Texan - I'm more a Sherbert Pip or Sherbert Fountain kinda person ;) Can still get the Fountains - howzabout Pips?

:)

BarryK 08 November 2001 10:08 PM

Maltesers. Ain't no doubt it's plain to see, they melt like snow at 80 degrees cee. Who in their right mind would say they "melt in your mouth not in your hand"? They do for goodness sake.

Galaxy counters were not the forerunner of Minstrels (note CORRECT spelling 5c), they were like thick chocolate buttons, and yes delicious for it cos they were Galaxy choccy.

So "Feed Aztecs to me" anybody?

Whah ho, what about Mint Cracknel (aka Mint Shrapnel) don't see that no more?

Texan bars, approved by the British Dental Association as pension fund bursters for dentists!

BOB.T 08 November 2001 10:58 PM

Yeah, what's going on with ,milkyways, the middle bit, it's just not right:confused:

I remember the sherbet pip things, not seen them for a while though:rolleyes:

I'm 24 and can just remember Texans, our kid is a big fan of the though:D:D

Bob

dba 09 November 2001 11:54 AM

Poppets do exist cus the factory is in Croydon and Toffos exist as chewy Wurthers!!

Cherry lips,the one and only.

Dave P 09 November 2001 01:52 PM

Poppets do exist, I get my kids a packet every weekend when I go to buy the Sunday Papers.

Mint Poppets, used to by them when I got my Tiger and Scorcher Comic. (Martins Marvelous Mini,Billies Boots and Hot Shot Hamish)

Not chocolate but crisps, anyone remember Smiths Bones.... salt and vioneger well lovely...

And those were the days when you could buy quarter of a pound of sweets. If you bought enough quarters you got a flimsy vinyl single with some naff group....

Dave

Brendan Hughes 09 November 2001 02:16 PM

Other thing is, do Star Bars still exist? Are they just not around London? Friend of mine says they're only sold Oop North now.

As for those stickers (my family etc), don't forget WANTED! I think I still have one somewhere, Lord knows what it's stuck to...

BJH

Sue 09 November 2001 02:29 PM

Hang on...no ones mentioned Fry's Five Boys Chocolate
Had a wrapper with a picture of a boys face in various degrees of happiness...praps they should have applied the same marketing strategy to "Mates"..lol