ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Dump valve?? yay or nay?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/512256-dump-valve-yay-or-nay.html)

Brit_in_Japan 03 May 2006 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Matt_taylor
Does it annoy u going off all the time when u just let off the gas??

i rarely take mine above 5k (i know wierd for a 21 yr old lol!) so might just leave the standard one on for a bit then try out one

I used to have a HKS SSQV on my MY99 WRX. It was already fitted when I bought the car. Initially I thought it was great. But I grew tired of it and wanted something a bit more low key. As has been mentioned already, does absolutely nothing for performance over and above the sandard recirc dump valve and if anything will be slight detrimental to the performance in the form of a hesitation.

If you want to see if you can live with one, go ahead. Just so long as you are aware that it is not a performance mod. I'd advise buying a second hand one, they regulalry come up for sale (like mine) because people get tired of them.

jgevers 03 May 2006 06:57 AM

If you like a sneezing car, but not all the time, use the GoFastBits Stealth or Deceptor Pro. These are fully adjustable between VTA and recirculating. Like dump valve volume control.

http://www.gofastbits.com.au/

Cheers

dynamix 03 May 2006 07:50 AM

not a great fan to be honest as I had a Turbosmart Supersonic on my Bug Eye STI - bit too loud sometimes when you just dont need extra attention. However the Stealth and Deceptor Pro look like they are ideal.

EddScott 03 May 2006 09:36 AM

I go through phases of liking my HKS SSQV and phases of deliberately easing off to stop it opening because I don't want to set it off.

Also, when driving round town and I've let it dump a few times over say 5psi, the car becomes very jerky and awkward.

That adjustable DV looks really good but at £300 before it sets off from Aus is a little expensive.

StickyMicky 03 May 2006 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel-S
At what point does the standard re-circ become restrictive?:wonder:

unsure but they can leak when asked to push higher boost preasures

mine did and made a mooo cow noise when on boost :lol:

replaced it with an uprated dumpvale

which is a piston recirc type, so it makes no noise :D
i can adjust the load on the valve to help seal in the boost preasure, and it also makes the car chatter like mad, which i actually like the sound of TBH

dynamix 03 May 2006 10:55 AM

what make is that one StickyMicky?

Tripple'O G 03 May 2006 11:01 AM

It will only ppptttttsssshhhhh when the turbo has produced enough boost for it.......it's quite easy to drive without it when you need to.......then you can listen to the wastegate flutter......see I love my noises.......
Turbos whistle, the spool, the dump-valve, the down-pipe, the bigger burble, my anti-lag......

I especially like letting the dump valve off when passing old biddies at a bus stop......or to get them to cross the road a little quicker....:lol1:

Jimpreza 04 May 2006 12:40 AM

Dont bother mate. They sound like a bus door opening.:lol1:

OzzyWRX 05 May 2006 04:43 AM

Just remove your resonator and you'll get a low volume sound from the stock BOV. Easy.:thumb:

Dracoro 05 May 2006 08:03 AM

Sounds like you got a puncture every time it goes off.

Totally uncool. Put it this way, Aston martin would never have these silly little things on their cars, neither would porsche, neither would ferrari etc.

Get one if you really want, however bear in mind most people will think you're a tw4t, the only people that will think it's cool aren't really the sort of people worth trying to impress. If you can deal with that, then go for it, don't forget your neons and leopardskin seat covers while you're at it ;) :D