ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   exhaust complaint from a neighbour (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/501123-exhaust-complaint-from-a-neighbour.html)

chiark 20 March 2006 11:23 AM

You're wise to keep your neighbours sweet. If enough complain you could find attention from police/environmental agency and generally they can make you feel like poo. Not sure what the current status is regarding legality of non CE/kite marked stuff but there's unanswered questions for sure.

Keep them sweet, I like the bung (in the exhaust, not to the neighbours or local law enforcement ;) ) idea.

MaDaSS 20 March 2006 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by chiark
You're wise to keep your neighbours sweet. If enough complain you could find attention from police/environmental agency and generally they can make you feel like poo. Not sure what the current status is regarding legality of non CE/kite marked stuff but there's unanswered questions for sure.

Keep them sweet, I like the bung (in the exhaust, not to the neighbours or local law enforcement ;) ) idea.

The kite mark point is a valid one for sure. I have a mate who was asking me about that in respect that he says all motorbike exhausts have to be kite marked now. Is that right?

chiark 20 March 2006 11:42 AM

Yup. And strictly speaking it applies to cars too, not just bikes. There was a case a couple of years back where someone in Scotland was having massive problems with the law because of a PPP that had been fitted, and I can't remember how it turned out: have a search and you'll find it. The PPP stuff is kite marked, but I think the argument was that it increased the noise levels as originally made by the manufacturer. I think it all worked out happily, as after all the aftermarket would disappear if all this was illegal...

However, the short of it is that I wouldn't wind up your neighbours, as complaints could make your life "interesting" :D if you're unlucky enough to find a police man that gets woken up by someone with a noisy exhaust and wants revenge :D

NPeckt 20 March 2006 11:57 AM

You could always ask her to meet you at the top of the road and have her push your car to your house, this way her kids would be able to sleep. :cuckoo:

Be careful with the the local councils environment officers though.

One of my neighbours had their stereo equipment confiscated due to loud noise.........

chiark 20 March 2006 12:07 PM

Naah, just be civil and sensible. Unless you want to move, you have to live there and it'd be deeply unpleasant to worry every time you left the car or house.

Perhaps I should go into relationship counselling? :D

kingofturds 20 March 2006 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by furrydice79
yes an exhaust bung is definitely the way to go mate,,, there really easy to fit. as soon as she opens her gob again, u simply ram the bung in there, it should hold tight and after that i reckon u wont have anymore problems...:)

:lol:

Slip her some love sausage ,sounds like she isn't getting enough:)

P20SPD 20 March 2006 12:20 PM

Yep, we received a complaint last year, from 6 different people, to the parish council. The only problem i had, was the example they all used, was not in fact me (car had no engine in it) but the ar53 with the race bike in the cul de sa oppositem, who decided to rev it on and off for 5 minutes at 10pm.

Since then i have been fairly careful with the noise front, as i appreciate it can be a little noisy.

Its really dependant on how much you like living there, and how much of a relatively easy going on you like. Be awkward and the council may get involved. It realy depends on where you live though, as i am sure some people would just tell her to f off.

chrisola 20 March 2006 06:28 PM

This is the one thing that concerns me about my classic, its standard right now but i do want a backbox\sport cat system soon...i live in a quiet area, never had a problem with my old cars full system (which was loud).. my brother has a Caterham Super 7 which is obscenely loud and no1s is bothered! Guess i have nice neighbours!

My friends Harley Softtail had slash cut screaming eagle pipes, he lives about 5mins walk away from me and i could hear him starting it up on his drive from inside my house quite clearly :P

Seems a shame to tone down your pride and joy... hopefully the womans husband wont play at keying the car or something :E

benrb5 20 March 2006 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds
:lol:

Slip her some love sausage ,sounds like she isn't getting enough:)

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :luxhello:

benrb5 20 March 2006 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by disrupta
lol tell her she is a jobsworth and has nothing better to do than complain over a exhaust, also ask her when the last time she got laid was, the frosty cow lol.

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:
Im glad im not the only one with that way of thinking.....some people have too much time!! Tell her if she doesnt like it then MOVE!

nathanb 20 March 2006 07:20 PM

If you want something that looks better than the somewhat pathetic pea shooter effort yet is as quiet look for a back box of a standard Sti[/QUOTE]

I agree!! I got a standard sti box and it sound awesome yet not silly!! Looks cool too with sti logo:luxhello:

cookstar 20 March 2006 07:25 PM

At the end of the day, the way I look at it is - You have more than enough stress and problems dealing with everyday life with work, driving etc.

For the sake of using a bit of courtsey and putting a bung in the exhaust for sake of your neibours, it seems a small sacrifice for peace and quiet when you get home.

Its all well and good saying "tell them this" and "you should do this" but people that posted things like that dont have to live in the same street as them.

Just my 2p's worth :)

nathanb 20 March 2006 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by chiark
Naah, just be civil and sensible. Unless you want to move, you have to live there and it'd be deeply unpleasant to worry every time you left the car or house.

Perhaps I should go into relationship counselling? :D

I agree with that too, my neighbours a tw@t with a crappy 306 deisel and i've had words with him and my no 1 concern is out of spite he'll key my car cos of jealousy!

It could all get out of hand!:mad:

[Davey] 20 March 2006 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by David26
Don't bother with a quiet back box..... Buy your neighbours some ear defenders!!! :thumb:

Now if you were my neighbour, and you had that attitude you would find your car would not only need a new exhaust but tyres and windows too..

gotmashed 20 March 2006 07:39 PM

borrow a blitz for a month or so then swop it back they will be so happy its quiter you wont have any problems again

cookstar 20 March 2006 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by [Davey]
Now if you were my neighbour, and you had that attitude you would find your car would not only need a new exhaust but tyres and windows too..

Exactly my point made earlier, see how quickly bad feeling can build up with neighbours :)

paulg1979 20 March 2006 07:53 PM

Why don't you get one of those fold up push bikes that goes in ya boot and you could park up the end of your road every night and cycle home. Sorted!! You'd look pretty cool on one of those too!!:lol1:

cookstar 20 March 2006 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by paulg1979
Why don't you get one of those fold up push bikes that goes in ya boot and you could park up the end of your road every night and cycle home. Sorted!! You'd look pretty cool on one of those too!!:lol1:

Or even a go-ped :cool:

paulg1979 20 March 2006 08:07 PM

Even better!!:thumb:

scooby-si 20 March 2006 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar
Have an exhaust bung made :thumb:

:thumb: or just tell them to sod off:D

banny sti 20 March 2006 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by gotmashed
borrow a blitz for a month or so then swop it back they will be so happy its quiter you wont have any problems again

I have a full Blitz system on my Impreza, I can say with a fair degree of certainty it wakes probably everyone on my street at half seven in the morning! I must have the best neighbours in the world because in about a year not one person has complained.

hoskib 20 March 2006 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by ukturbo
Just come home from work and had a run in with one of the neighbours she said she is fed up with the noise of my car! And she said i wake her husband and the kids when i come home from work i work afternoon shifts. I live in a quiet cul de sac any recommendations of a quiet backbox i have an afterburner vortex on my car at the moment

vortex is bloody loud mate (it's what i've got:D) if you like your noise and not your neighbours, fcuk 'em if you can put up with the inevitable grief.

if say, it came with the car and you don't mind going quieter then prodrive box is probably your best bet.

maybe hayward and scott would be worth a call as it seems they can make an exhaust to whatever your requirements may be:)

also, saw an HKS exhaust in jap performance on a skyline called Hiper Silent, which was, oddly enough, noted as being quite quiet. whether this is quiet for an HKS or quiet in general it doesn't say:lol1:

superstar1 20 March 2006 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by ukturbo
Just come home from work and had a run in with one of the neighbours she said she is fed up with the noise of my car! And she said i wake her husband and the kids when i come home from work i work afternoon shifts. I live in a quiet cul de sac any recommendations of a quiet backbox i have an afterburner vortex on my car at the moment

I'd call that a result, wait till they get used to it and learn to live with it and then fit the loudest dump valve you can lay your hands on.
I just hate this kiddie and my hubbies in bed ****!

cookstar 20 March 2006 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by superstar1
I'd call that a result, wait till they get used to it and learn to live with it and then fit the loudest dump valve you can lay your hands on.

chavtastic :)

[Davey] 20 March 2006 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by superstar1

When you've grown up, youve got some hair on your balls and your living in your own house on a quiet street and some **** keeps wakeing you up in the morning with their loud car you come back here and tell us that you still feel the same way.

StickyMicky 20 March 2006 09:04 PM

chav

wrxtankie 20 March 2006 09:05 PM

I have a blitz nur spec r with 3" de cat down pipe. None of my neighbours complain. Although if they did one or two could order me to sort it out.
Married quaters are great eh :s

Stephen Pope 20 March 2006 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by funkyspider
I'd also recommend a scoobysport back box - the 3inch exit, not the Jap style. I found it much quieter than my old 4 1/2 inch jap style on tickover, low revs and on motorway cruising, but still retains the burble and sounds excellent when I boot it. I think it's a nicer sound all round to be honest, maybe I'm too old ! lol

Good idea - I had the old H&S Afterburner on my old UK Turbo and swapped to the Scoobysport before moving house as I did not want to make any enemies. Shortly after moving in, we had a halloween party and the lads were all out in the back garden whilst the other halves were indoors - the neighbours ended up compalining about that noise instead of the car!!! Since then I changed cars and the new one has a TSL exhaust - much noisier. I bet the neighbours are ragin' but if they cannot handle that people must 'live' then f&ck em all!!!

*AL* 20 March 2006 09:31 PM

A friend of mine has a crazy loud P1:eek2: .I cringe everytime i hear him drive up my close,as it's that loud and rumbly.When he leaves i can, with the back of the house window open,hear him almost to his house 1.7 miles away.
I have great neighbours and certainly wouldn't want to constantly 'upset' them.I've had bad neighbours in the past (elsewhere) and certainly wouldn't like to suffer that again.

superstar1 20 March 2006 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by [Davey]
When you've grown up, youve got some hair on your balls and your living in your own house on a quiet street and some **** keeps wakeing you up in the morning with their loud car you come back here and tell us that you still feel the same way.

Listen hairy bollox, i'm 45 years old and just bought me dream Scooby WRX Wagon with PPP so if you think a kiddie creep like you is going to spoil my enjoyment think again. My kids are 19 and 21 but i never expected the world to stop turning just so lazy *******s like you can lay about in bed all day making tents