ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Hamas incharge of Palestine... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/487149-hamas-incharge-of-palestine.html)

ricardo_wrx 26 January 2006 10:35 PM

:Suspiciou i say bring em on! Isreal kicked ass in the 70's. They only gave back the west bank and gaza so they can invade them again!

Only kidding for all those ppl that have a political degree on world current affairs or that have family in the forces.:Whatever_

RedFive 27 January 2006 07:45 AM

They gave up the West Bank ? :eek:

When did that happen ?

TelBoy 27 January 2006 08:21 AM

Loving the adverts...

https://pagead2.googlesyndication.co...MuABA5UCOicwCg

MJW 27 January 2006 08:27 AM

I don't really see how Hamas getting into power is a bad thing - after all if you look at similar cases - Arafat and the PLO and Adams and Sinn Fein - once you get these kind of organisations bogged down in the quagmire of politics they have no real choice but to denounce violence in order to appear credible. There will be the inevitible split-off factions which prefer to wage guerilla war but these will become increasingly isolated and Hamas will have to distance itself from them if it wants to actually make any improvements to the life of Palestinians.

Vegescoob 27 January 2006 12:17 PM

Now what is the attitude of the Palastinian Electorate?
Is this a sophisticated Electorate deciding to vote Hamas into power believing that that will be the way to achieve a negoiated settlement because Hamas would have to give up armed action and would have to persue diplomatic methods?
Or because the Electorate believe in the opinions that Hamas have previously expressed? In which case do the Electorate think and want a war to remove Israel?
All questions as usual.

Flatcapdriver 27 January 2006 12:21 PM

I don't understand why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist about Hamas? The PLO was a terrorist organisation and both Israel and the US happily dealt with them and the Israelis themselves were terrorists at one point, so why should Hamas be treated so differently?

:confused:

TheBigMan 27 January 2006 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
I don't understand why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist about Hamas? The PLO was a terrorist organisation and both Israel and the US happily dealt with them and the Israelis themselves were terrorists at one point, so why should Hamas be treated so differently?

:confused:

Dunno why people are getting their nickers in a twist generally.

Bravo2zero_sps 27 January 2006 12:40 PM

Hamas is a far more aggressive and extremist organisation than the PLO thats why.

philc 27 January 2006 12:41 PM

have to agree with previous comments, that are not coming thru on the official news briefs - that Hamas are just following tradition, recently seen with the IRA / Sinn Fein and previously seen with the terrorist Stern Gang.

And what also doesn't get publicised is the social programmes run by Hamas for the Palestinian people.

In fact Hamas seem to have got a majority of votes that most western political parties can only dream about.

.. oh, the irony.

RedFive 27 January 2006 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by **************
Hamas is a far more aggressive and extremist organisation than the PLO thats why.

Erm... you did know that there is a large rebellion faction in Fatah, that wants to continue to use arms ?

That was one of the reasons why Abbas wanted to postpone the elections: he knew the people were sick of the corruption and the lack of progress in the peace road map. It was clear for months now that Hamas was going to do very well in the elections.

BTW: Europe now has to decide if they want to continue to pay the wages of the Palestinian civil servants...

Flatcapdriver 27 January 2006 12:47 PM

I think you need to re-read your history books then. Try googling up Arafat, Munich and a few others.

RedFive 27 January 2006 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by philc
And what also doesn't get publicised is the social programmes run by Hamas for the Palestinian people.

Yup. They are about the only ones who actually are seen to be building schools, hospitals, etc...

RedFive 27 January 2006 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
I think you need to re-read your history books then. Try googling up Arafat, Munich and a few others.

I'm sure there's a movie about this somewhere :D

Flatcapdriver 27 January 2006 12:49 PM

Yep. Even the Daily Mail readers should have made the connection.

;)

Bravo2zero_sps 27 January 2006 01:03 PM

Yes that was a very long time ago and Arafat wanted change, he thrived on the publicity. Do you see Hamas having a leader with the same self gratification as Arafat? I don't.

unclebuck 27 January 2006 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by philc
In fact Hamas seem to have got a majority of votes that most western political parties can only dream about.

.. oh, the irony.

Indeed. Democracy in action. Can't see what grounds there are for any Western governments to complain - especially after the way that Bush was jerrymandered into office.

Ted Maul 27 January 2006 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigMan
Dunno why people are getting their nickers in a twist generally.

hey, you said you were bored of this topic, so stop reading the thread!

ricardo_wrx 27 January 2006 02:01 PM

What happened to the Judean People's Front', 'The People's Front of Judea', and (with only one member) 'The Judean Popular People's Front'.

Are they still in the running?:confused:

unclebuck 27 January 2006 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ricardo_wrx
What happened to the 'The Judean Popular People's Front'.

Are they still in the running?:confused:

http://www.wumingfoundation.com/engl...e_of_brian.jpg

He's over there....

"Splitter!!"

:lol1:

GrahamG 27 January 2006 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel
they seem just as thick as you Brits voting labour in again! :D

Some people will never learn!!!!

you have got that spot on there!

RedFive 27 January 2006 02:40 PM

Yes that was a very long time ago and Arafat wanted change, he thrived on the publicity. Do you see Hamas having a leader with the same self gratification as Arafat? I don't.

No, and that might be a good thing actually...

They did have Sheik Yassin, but he got blown to smithereens by the IDF, hum.

Leslie 28 January 2006 02:37 PM

The Middle East has been a flash point in world politics for many many years now. If there was a major conflict there which could easily start up, there would be so many vested interests from the rest of the world that B2Zero's theory is not in the least far fetched.

Les

RedFive 28 January 2006 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie
The Middle East has been a flash point in world politics for many many years now.

Since the Balfour declaration really :)

Leslie 29 January 2006 11:51 AM

Yes-not surprising really.

Les :)

RedFive 29 January 2006 03:29 PM

Damned Brits ! ;)

Joking aside, it is fascinating to see how far you have to go back in history sometimes to understand what is happening today. Of course there's a whole history leading up to that declaration as well BTW.

Leslie 30 January 2006 12:26 PM

It is true that if a country behaves badly towards another country or its people, or carries out questionable or illegal activities, that will always come back to haunt it for many many years to come in the future.

Bit like starting war in the Middle East without Security Council backing I suppose !

Les

Hayden 30 January 2006 09:33 PM

is true that if a country behaves badly towards another country or its people, or carries out questionable or illegal activities, that will always come back to haunt it for many many years to come in the future.

Bit like starting war in the Middle East without Security Council backing I suppose !