ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Projects (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/)
-   -   Project Slow Evolution (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/477846-project-slow-evolution.html)

Danny Boy 02 January 2006 08:02 PM

Graham, i have spent alot of time just looking at the thing and working out how it all goes together and comes apart.:wonder: I have had the assistance of some nice manuals located here:

http://206.13.93.15/STi_Stuff/STi_Manual/sti_dir.htm

They are for the 2004 Sti but the 5Mt is exactly the same.
It's all nuts and bolts at the end of the day. So many things are a black art until you do a bit of reading up and work it out.
I still wouldnt have the fogyest idea where to start with suspension though!;)

The diff is a new item from Rallispec in USA. Should be the new type helical from the latest generation sti.

69WRX 02 January 2006 09:00 PM

Great thread Danny. :thumb:

I was there that day @ Scoobyclinic, Think I remember you. :rolleyes:

My car came third that day and im still on the std Gearbox, So keep the info/pics coming as I reckon i shall be needing it soon. :)

p.s. Any chance you can PM me, Where from & how much you paid for the Gearset.

Thanks
Andy

:D

Tim W 02 January 2006 11:34 PM

Danny, are you sure that the front diff from the 6 speed will fit in a 5 speed case?

Danny Boy 03 January 2006 08:45 AM

Yes, measured it up yesterday and its exactly the same size, pic looks a little different because the new one has no crown wheel, bearings or stub shafts on it yet.;)

Off to the tool shop thismorning to buy a bearing puller and a big vice:D

Danny Boy 03 January 2006 08:54 AM

69WRX i was there, probably at the back being quiet:rolleyes:

This Kit is from PPG in Australia, i imported mine directly as i had an unmissable opertunity on the shipping;) however Pavlo at Zen Performance is the official UK importer and having since spoken to him via e-mail about prices i was genuienly surprised at what he was able to offer.
If you fancy going the gearset route he will be able to give you all the cost info you need to know, but be warned it is expensive!, more expensive than the Subaru 6 speed option. But weighing up all the pro's and cons i think for me this will be the better way.

Dan.

Floyd 04 January 2006 10:24 PM

Brave man doing the gearbox :eek: I think I'll be doing the same at some point too :rolleyes:

I turn my back for a minute and there's more projects than you can shake a stick at ;) Great! Trouble is it makes me want to start stage 4 - and no more economy mods...

F

911 04 January 2006 10:37 PM

Don't get sucked in!
Graham...resisting for another 11 months.

Danny Boy 05 January 2006 10:40 AM

Tools procured, hopefully more progress today, still waiting on a few seals from subaru though:Whatever_

drb5 05 January 2006 12:46 PM

Just to let you know Danny, i recieved the Datalogit yesterday morning. Cheers. :thumb:

Danny Boy 05 January 2006 05:05 PM

Dave, wrong Danny Boy.:lol: There seems to be a few of us round here!

Ill take the credit anyway though, Ta:p :D

Dan.

Danny Boy 05 January 2006 05:05 PM

Double Post

drb5 06 January 2006 05:48 PM

:confused:

Sorry bud. Will now go in hunt of the right bloke. :D

Danny Boy 07 January 2006 02:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been busy in the freezing workshop today.

New front diff with crown wheel and bearings attached next to original front diff
Attachment 60346

I have new stubb shafts but i have not attached them yet so i can still roll the box over and they dont get in the way.

Danny Boy 07 January 2006 02:20 PM

6 Attachment(s)
So onto the main side casing of the box

Attachment 60347

Stripped out the forks ready to prep the casing for paint.
Attachment 60348

Mono Jack barrels work nicley to hold the selector shaft interlock plungers in place.
Attachment 60349

Standard forks and shafts
Attachment 60350

Comparison of standard forks against the new billet forks
Attachment 60351

Main casing side in the 'spray booth';)
Attachment 60352

Danny Boy 07 January 2006 02:43 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Reverse idler and new billet forks installed on original shafts
Attachment 60353

Front Diff Installed
Attachment 60354

Original gears reinstalled to dry assemble the box (5th gear syncro is still missing)
Attachment 60355

Box and transfer case dry assembled ready to go to Pavlo to get the presswork done.
Attachment 60356

911 07 January 2006 03:21 PM

I'm impressed!
All that and without a Haynes manual! You must be at 10 Spanner level :D
Graham

flat4 07 January 2006 03:24 PM

it's all coming flooding back, i remember seperating the transfer case was a pain if you didn't know what the hell you were doing :D

flat4 07 January 2006 03:32 PM

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=98502

my exploits :D might be of some interest, but i doubt it :D

Danny Boy 07 January 2006 04:44 PM

The haynes Manual is dead, long live the PDF file:thumb: :D

911 07 January 2006 06:40 PM

Tricky to take into the oily garage?

Wish Haynes did actually do a manual.

Danny Boy 07 January 2006 07:06 PM

Not too tricky when its on a laptop and the internet is on a wireless connection. Just have to wipe the keyboard after i have finished;)

Completed box is now in two pieces in the boot of the car and will be dropped off with Paul first thing monday morning for finishing off.

Floyd 07 January 2006 07:32 PM

Excellent, 10/10. The first real gearbox build I've seen on SN (not that I've seen all threads of course).

Great pictures Danny.

F

Danny Boy 07 January 2006 07:50 PM

As its my first project thread i thought i better dive in the deep end in true british fashion and do it properly, or is that bodge it properly?:)

Danny Boy 25 January 2006 06:17 PM

6 Attachment(s)
OK Update time, the box has been off to see Paul at Zen Performance for my PPG kit to be installed and is now currently sat in my garage awaiting fitment to the car, just work getting in the way of progress now as usual:Whatever_

Finished built up half of the box complete with a new 5th gear syncro assembly, thanks paul;)
Attachment 60357

Comparison of standard 3/4th cogs with PPG 3/4
Attachment 60358

You can also see here the differences in the syncro tooth design.
Attachment 60359

Comparison of the tooth profile.
Attachment 60360

Close up on the diff
Attachment 60361

And the finished product :D
Attachment 60362

I have booked some time in with a local friendly mechanic round the corner from my parents place who is willing to rent me out his 4post ramps for the day so hopefully that should make my life a bit easier for my first gearbox change:)

Just need to aquire a lightened standard flywheel from API and then im all set to go.

Would you reuse the standard flywheel retaining bolts, or get new ones? and would you use threadlock on the bolts as well?

Cheers

Dan.

P20SPD 25 January 2006 07:18 PM

Nice one Dan

Re use (unless threads look fecked), and threadlock.

Tim W 25 January 2006 07:19 PM

Dan, if you want a lightened and balance standard flywheel I have my old one, lightened to 8.4kg also with an Exedy uprated (short throw, stronger springs) cover plate that was balanced to it yours for 50 quid plus delivery or collection from Kent. It did about 30k miles before it came out for the new engine build and the billet 5kg flywheel

911 25 January 2006 07:27 PM

Danny, I'm impressed!
Those gears are looking almost JCB in proportion.

Graham

Danny Boy 26 January 2006 01:51 PM

Tim thanks for the offer, might take you up on it. If you could find out a postage cost that would be great.

Tim W 26 January 2006 02:27 PM

Royal mail charge 11.65 for up to 20kg, I'll ask my dad what ANC charge him for sending the same (or less!) weight ;)

Danny Boy 26 January 2006 03:22 PM

Thanks Steven hope they arn't fecked as, as far as i know ill be the first person to see them since the little man in Japan who put them in;)

Graham, as long as they dont sound like a JCB ill be happy:)
You know you want some:p :D