ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   MP3/I-POD (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/477804-mp3-i-pod.html)

Markus 10 January 2006 03:36 PM

If you're using a Mac, then you could possibly do something clever with the PodWorks app. It has an option to select/copy all music from the iPod that isn't in iTunes. so, you'd update your ipod on computer 1 to have all the music that you know isn't on computer 2, you then use podworks to copy the missing music over, thus computer 2 now has the missing music.

Once you have got the two machines in harmony, with a complete libray, things get a little easier, as you make sure the iPod does not auto sync and then you simply copy any new music onto the machine (setup a smart playlist based on the "date added" and then you can simply select the contents of that playlist and copy that to the iPod). Then you could, again using Podworks, copy the "new" music from the iPod onto the other computer that does not yet have it. A bit convoluted I know.

I think the idea behind all of this is to prevent people ripping off music, as you could plug your iPod into your friends computer and get iTunes to copy their music onto your iPod and thus you'd have your music and theirs. Same reason why you can't copy music from an iPod to iTunes from within iTunes (this is why I use Podworks).

Nick 10 January 2006 07:07 PM

Call me old-fashioned, but I like to use the music I buy anywhere I choose. CD for the car, on my computer, my wife's computer, CD music player etc. iPods & iTunes are at the DRM restrictive end of music. Maybe you agree with the recording companies that you should buy the same music multiple times? Go outside the box, look at OGG Vorbis files for instance which have a better compression than MP3 & sound a lot better. For a player, look at iAudio for the best quality playback, for music, buy it legally from allofmp3.com.

flynnstudio 10 January 2006 07:09 PM

On the first PC (work PC) in Itunes create a unique folder name...move all the music you want from the library into it
When you load the Ipod when it asks to update say no..then right click it and go into the update settings and disable the 'automatically update itunes automatically' but select it to automatically update that folder you just made..run the 'update ipod'. When you get to the first PC (home?) download a copy of ipod ripper (first time use is free!) and copy the contents of the ipod folder you just made on the other PC to your PC..drag and drop these into the itunes library...re-update your ipod. Should be synched..

I accept no responsibility if you cock it up but this will work...

Mark Miwurdz 10 January 2006 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Nick
Call me old-fashioned, but I like to use the music I buy anywhere I choose. CD for the car, on my computer, my wife's computer, CD music player etc. iPods & iTunes are at the DRM restrictive end of music. Maybe you agree with the recording companies that you should buy the same music multiple times? Go outside the box, look at OGG Vorbis files for instance which have a better compression than MP3 & sound a lot better. For a player, look at iAudio for the best quality playback, for music, buy it legally from allofmp3.com.

Hello old-fashioned ;)

That's the beauty of the ipod. A lovely little package that you can still play stock .mp3s on.

Cheers
Kav

Mark Miwurdz 10 January 2006 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by flynnstudio
On the first PC (work PC) in Itunes create a unique folder name...move all the music you want from the library into it
When you load the Ipod when it asks to update say no..then right click it and go into the update settings and disable the 'automatically update itunes automatically' but select it to automatically update that folder you just made..run the 'update ipod'. When you get to the first PC (home?) download a copy of ipod ripper (first time use is free!) and copy the contents of the ipod folder you just made on the other PC to your PC..drag and drop these into the itunes library...re-update your ipod. Should be synched..

Thanks mate - will give it a go on the basis of no warranty implied or intended. I'm not vindictive, but where do you live BTW ;)

Cheers
Kav

PS - Edited to say, is the ipod ripper on the Apple website?

Markus 10 January 2006 07:26 PM

Apple had to use DRM to make the record companies happy, otherwise iTMS would not exist, pure and simple. Similar argument for the iPod. They *knew* people would want two way copying of music to the iPod, but that could mean copyright violation and someone would issue lawsuits against Apple about that, and so they lock the iPod down to prevent this. Now, they are not stopping other people creating software to get round this limitation, and I've not seen lawsuits against the makers of Podworks, so I assume Apple does not mind too much, I doubt they would publically condone what it, and other software does (we'll ignore Hymn here, it's stripping DRM which is different from allowing music to be copied from an iPod) but they don't seem to be stopping it.

As for Ogg, never tried it and to be honest, I doubt I'd hear much of a difference and converting my MP3's and m4a's into another format would a) reduce the quality anyway, and b) take too much time (even on a nice new Intel based iMac :))
I don't have the CD's for some of the music I have as they have been purchased online, so it's not like I can re-rip from the original source. I'm sure if Ogg was really that good Apple would support it (One assumes iTunes does not read Ogg files?, never tried to be honest)

I do agree about allofmp3.com though. Since I've discovered it I've only downloaded one album from the iTMS and that is simply because it was not on allofmp3. I love allofmp3.com.

flynnstudio 10 January 2006 07:28 PM

http://www.thelittleappfactory.com/a...hp?app=iPodRip

for OSX...

Are they both macs or is one a PC and one a mac ? if so you'll need to get the demo PC ripper with the OSX file mounting software on it or the PC will want to format it...get's a little different if that's the case cos your PC itunes will bauk at a mac formatted ipod - your then just going to have to go to the itunes folder on the PC and copy the folders containing the music files to the ipod using the ipod in disk mode - then at the other MAC just copy them off onto the HD ( manually not via itunes) and drag and drop them into itunes and let the itunes file em...then just sync..

Mark Miwurdz 10 January 2006 07:29 PM

Both PCs running iTunes 6.0.2

flynnstudio 10 January 2006 07:33 PM

Easy then...

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0....&search=+Go%21

most of them will do it - ipodcopy is free to try..

Mark Miwurdz 10 January 2006 07:36 PM

Good code - really appreciate it, thanks mate!

Is the drill the same as you outlined above?

Cheers
Kav

flynnstudio 10 January 2006 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by flynnstudio

Yeah, your back to this...no worries - :)

Mark Miwurdz 10 January 2006 07:41 PM

Nice one.

:thumb: