ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   New Orleans sliding into anarchy (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/453828-new-orleans-sliding-into-anarchy.html)

unclebuck 01 September 2005 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Alan C

Do you think some of our chav inner city colleagues would do any different given half the chance?

They might have a go, yes - but we don't have a gun shop on every street corner to loot like they do.

What does suprise me is that the self proclaimed land of the free, home of the brave, most developed country in the world etc etc etc turns out to be quite the opposite for a large section of it's community.. Now that this thin veil has been removed.. we now get to see some of the reality of the US..

Eye opening, don't you think.. ?
Only if you've never travelled in the States. Step outside of 'Corporate America' and the poverty is everywhere - and mainly (though not exclusively) Black. (In my experience anyway)

unclebuck 01 September 2005 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
So basically this is the situation.

Bush and the authorities deliberately prevented or didn't bother with the evacuation of black people from the city.

Bush and the authorities withheld emergency services from black people since the hurricane.

There was a deliberate racist decision with the election counts rather than a deliberate decision taken so that certain people would have power.

nope... :)

KiwiGTI 01 September 2005 10:59 PM

Is it really racism or the blacks perpetuating their own poverty and causing their own problems? (As quite a few prominent blacks have suggested)

Now I am aware of the history but I am talking about today in any modern US city.

Alan C 01 September 2005 11:08 PM

UB

Originally Posted by unclebuck
They might have a go, yes - but we don't have a gun shop on every street corner to loot like they do.

That's definately one blessing in favour of gun control..

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Only if you've never travelled in the States. Step outside of 'Corporate America' and the poverty is everywhere - and mainly (though not exclusively) Black. (In my experience anyway)

Totally agree. But I think most visitors will only visit the gloss and Disney parks.. They'll see the Hollywood version on TV and want to live it.. To them, this will be the eye opener..

To those who have visited the non-Corporate side, this won't be.

Chris L 01 September 2005 11:09 PM

Some amazing (well probably not the right word in the circumstances, but you get my meaning) pictures on the Washington Post website.

kammy 01 September 2005 11:13 PM

America the land of 'equal oppourtunities. What a load of bull-****. Really feel sorry for the guys caught up in it, but atleast most dumb-ass Americans and the rest of the world are exposed to the true colours of Bush/congress- money greedy and far from equal.

I was going to donate as I did with most recent disaters, but I felt I would be shooting myself in the foot as the government wasted all the money blanket bombing innocent people in the middle-east. Im wrong I know but making a point.

Where has all the peace and love gone in the world?
Kam

moses 01 September 2005 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by kammy
America the land of 'equal oppourtunities. What a load of bull-****. Really feel sorry for the guys caught up in it, but atleast most dumb-ass Americans and the rest of the world are exposed to the true colours of Bush/congress- money greedy and far from equal.

I was going to donate as I did with most recent disaters, but I felt I would be shooting myself in the foot as the government wasted all the money blanket bombing innocent people in the middle-east. Im wrong I know but making a point.

Where has all the peace and love gone in the world?
Kam

mate if new orleans had oil they would be their :D straight away

moses 01 September 2005 11:21 PM

Is it really racism or the blacks perpetuating their own poverty and causing their own problems? (As quite a few prominent blacks have suggested)

Now I am aware of the history but I am talking about today in any modern US city.

a bit true,and also its hard for a coloured man to get a job, specially from a bad hood

i agree with that coz muslims in the middle east brought all the ****e to themselves by betraying their people and becoming corrupt and letting invaders in and letting corrupt leaders steal their wealth

so a person can change his condition if he wishes

with that i agree with u kiwi

Cyberevo 01 September 2005 11:23 PM

It's very shocking that this sort of disorder can happen in the western world in this day and age, but the fact remain that the white Americans couldn't give a hoot about the black Americans and vice versa.

kammy 01 September 2005 11:26 PM

Moses- its all money these days:(

KiwiGTI 01 September 2005 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by moses
a bit true,and also its hard for a coloured man to get a job, specially from a bad hood

Plus all the glamorisation of rappers and the bling bling lifestyle where it is uncool to have a proper job. A black man trying to do well and hold down a proper job or wear a suit in some of those neighborhood will find more prejudice from his own kind. (Same over here too)

moses 01 September 2005 11:29 PM

Plus all the glamorisation of rappers and the bling bling lifestyle where it is uncool to have a proper job. A black man trying to do well and hold down a proper job or wear a suit in some of those neighborhood will find more prejudice from his own kind. (Same over here too)

yes too right mate :) well said, get critisized for not being "black" etc etc by blacks and forgetting his culture when all he wants to do is have a job and feed his family

rappers can kiss my ass except the old school ones :cool:

kammy 01 September 2005 11:31 PM

Also after listening to all that R'N'B etc aka junk, where is all the support coming from bling bling rappers who constantly go on about coming from nothing and giving each other a break? Tosh.

Im actually really pi$$ed on the entire situation.
Kam

unclebuck 01 September 2005 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by moses
mate if new orleans had oil they would be their :D straight away

But they have... loads of oil extraction goes on around there. (That's why the price of oil went up so much Bush had to break into the US 'reserves' to bring prices under control)

Great comment though... :D;)

moses 01 September 2005 11:34 PM

Also after listening to all that R'N'B etc aka junk, where is all the support coming from bling bling rappers who constantly go on about coming from nothing and giving each other a break? Tosh.

Kam

i know thats why i said they can kiss my arse

lol @ ub u r right i forgot about that part :D

cheers for understand what i meant :D, maybe coz its a small oil reserve they didnt bother :D

KiwiGTI 01 September 2005 11:42 PM

Kam

yeah, it looks pretty pathetic that they aren't really managing it or controlling it properly.

I mean saying that they have trouble evacuating 50,000 people from that stadium - wouldn't have any trouble if it was a concert or football game.

That "3rd world" country China has just managed to evacuate 750,000 people with no problems.

paul-s 01 September 2005 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Iwan
What I don't get, is how GWB can mobilise massive forces almost overnight to invade another country - but can't seem to mount an effective humanitarian response on his own doorstep.

wars are prepared for weeks months and years in advance they dont just mobilise troops overnight out of scotch mist as you say.

dpb 01 September 2005 11:50 PM

Seeems to be mostly down to money being 'diverted' or at least not prioritised ( read into this what you will ) ....away from spending money on hightening defences . Such a calamity has been on the cards for the last 20 years - feel for the folks who literally couldnt get away...:(

Leslie 02 September 2005 07:30 AM

Its a taster of life in this country unless the authorities get a grip on the situation which is building up.

Les

fatscoobyfella 02 September 2005 08:12 AM

The coloured community of any country are always only 5 minutes from riot and disruption,looting and violence,amongst other things,seems to be there way of dealing with any social discord.

They would have a gangbangin session if there jerk chicken and rice and pea's weren't cooked correctly.

TonyFlow 02 September 2005 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by fatscoobyfella
The coloured community of any country are always only 5 minutes from riot and disruption,looting and violence,amongst other things,seems to be there way of dealing with any social discord.

They would have a gangbangin session if there jerk chicken and rice and pea's weren't cooked correctly.

WTF :nono:

Iwan 02 September 2005 08:45 AM

I can't believe some of the stories emerging now, just seen this on BBC

Horrific reports have emerged from the Louisiana Superdome, where up to 20,000 people have been corralled, mainly without power and sanitation, since Hurricane Katrina struck.

"People were raped in there. People were killed in there. We had multiple riots," one police officer told the AFP news agency.
WTF?! How is it that being deprived of food/water/sanitation makes people start raping and killing people?! :eek: :(

Also the National Guard have been issued with shoot-to-kill orders, I didn't see any details but i presume this is armed looters - not all refugees.

I don't think playing the race card (i.e. accusing Bush of not helping the blacks) is fair though. Yeah most of the people you see on the news asking for help are black, but I think that's just indicative of the proportion of black people who live there. I think if they were white they'd be just as screwed by the lack of help.