ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   How come superchargers aren't popular ?!?! (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/438019-how-come-superchargers-arent-popular.html)

G_Sleigh_STi 01 July 2005 06:30 AM

Merc charges if i remember are all the out of date huge old designs.

I think i remember reading that they are all swapping over to turbos in 2007 including the mini. But i may be wrong there.

The older design units (cant remember the name) are not very efficient compared to the newer rotex charger units.

But they are good becaues you get more power gains lower down.

G_Sleigh_STi 01 July 2005 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by scoobyjohn2000
dont be silly the only reason why superchargers aren't popular
is becouse............u can,t put a dump valve on!!!!!

well i dont think u can:idea:

Actually yes you can it just takes more work, i know two people running supercharges with dump valves.

They also sound slightly different.

vindaloo 01 July 2005 03:16 PM

Supercharger designs vary.
I don't know about the Jackson Racing kits but I think they use Eaton (rootes) style blowers.

There are at least two other types of blower that have the potential to be far more effective. Rotrex (centrifugal) blowers are pretty much half a turbo-charger driven by belt/gears rather than the exhaust.

Sprintex (Lynsholm screw(sp?)) blowers are theoretically the best but try to find one. Sprintex went bust :( There is a firm producing kits for some Aussie cars in Western Australia (ISTR).

J.

J4CKO 01 July 2005 03:58 PM

'My 3.2 V6 Supercharged AMG sounds alright'

Granted, but have you heard the 4 cylinder ones ?

cliff7110 01 July 2005 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
My 3.2 V6 Supercharged AMG sounds alright

i thought amg only had engines in the 5.5 litre varity, is it an slk

WRX_BLUES 01 July 2005 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by cliff7110

I believe there's also a C32 and CLK32 as well as the SLK32.

Mungo 01 July 2005 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Superchargers are better lower down the rev range ie instant power. They tend to run out of puff higher up where a good turbocharger is better

Surely that has more to do with the design of the compressor turbine rather than anything else?

logiclee 01 July 2005 05:54 PM

A guy down at Power Engineering had a Mk1 Fiesta with a 1.9litre CVH engine which was both turbo and supercharged.

Can't remember the specs but it was the funniest thing I've seen driving up the industrial estate from PE. It took off like a rocket but needed both sides of the road as it squirmed all over the place trying to get the power down.

Cheers
Lee

XK-R 02 July 2005 10:01 AM

Merc charges if i remember are all the out of date huge old designs
Yeah right! SL55 AMG produces a stonking amount of driveable power. That is supercharged. Granted the SL65 AMG uses Bi Turbos BUT you have more than enough capacity to spool them up don't you.

No 3.2 V6 Supercharged for the C Class. 360bhp. Fantastic :)

Granted, but have you heard the 4 cylinder ones ?
Yep. Used to have a SC 4 Pot Merc and sounded fantastic :)

The XK-R produces 400bhp and is stonkingly quick :)

midget1500 02 July 2005 12:44 PM

i have a clk230 kompressor. tons of torque right from the bottom to the top of the rev range. for such a barge and only 200bhp, it goes very well thanks to the supercharger.

it's a 4 cylinder and sounds fine to me, very quiet and refined.

Spoon 02 July 2005 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by vindaloo
Sprintex (Lynsholm screw(sp?)) blowers are theoretically the best but try to find one. Sprintex went bust :( There is a firm producing kits for some Aussie cars in Western Australia (ISTR).

J.

I have a new Sprintex supercharger fitted to a rebuilt 3.1 litre Cologne engine in one of my workshops. It was built in 1988 by no more than Power Engineering when they messed with Fords and then fitted into a XR4i car.

Sounded and went very well for the year. It used to destroy a friends Cosworth on acceleration. Low down torque was a right laugh, none of your lag offered by "most" turbos' and of course it was on a 3.1 litre capacity engine to start with.

The supercharger conversion (minus the bigger engine) then, was offered at circa £3,500 by Power Engineering. The installation was impressive, it looked great.

Teething problems with fuelling however were rife and Power Engineering didn't have the knowledge to sort it unfortunately.

Modern day fuel injection systems would sort it however.