ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   2.5 Conversion problems - need help please! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/423001-2-5-conversion-problems-need-help-please.html)

Scoob+Bike=Fun 10 May 2005 12:32 PM

the problem gradually got worse, could the cam timing do that? would it not just jump out? in that i mean, be ok and then suddenly not be right?

Scoob+Bike=Fun 10 May 2005 01:19 PM

Just started stripping it down, took the IC off, to find it swimming in oil/water creamy residue and then took the 5th injector out and used a screwdriver and there is 2-3mm of oil in the plenum:eek: , now I think that the turbo is passing oil, but how do you tell if it's the turbo or somthing else apart from getting a new turbo. obviously this is a problem, that may be related to the engine not running, but i still have the compression problems, can anyone tell me if this could affect it in any way or would it just be my luck that there is more than 1 problem.:brickwall :cry:

Adam.

Edited to add that there is also oil on the maf sensor and in the box after the maf too, could it be breather related?

P20SPD 10 May 2005 02:11 PM

If it was mine, and you have the facilities and abilities, i would strip it down completley. All ancillaries off, heads off, check the pistons etc, and then rebuild from there. Use new head gaskets, and a new cambelt tensioner.

Depending on which tensioner you have, the reuse of such is open to discusssion, and could possibly allow the teeth to jump

Scoob+Bike=Fun 10 May 2005 02:16 PM

That's my thinking too, and in search of big reliable torque, I will probobly uprate the pistons and rods at the same time and get the crank balanced (if it makes a difference on a boxer????) is there an oil mod to be done on the crank whilst its out?

tweenierob 10 May 2005 04:07 PM

Broken ring lands IMHO

Rob

Fuzz 10 May 2005 09:10 PM

Assuming your breathers are still plumbed into the intake pipe and not into a catch can, It would make sense that you have buggered the rings /ringlands. The boost would have blown by the rings into the crancase, making it "breath heavy" and threrefore spit the oil into the intake pipe. I wouldn't concentate on the turbo being at fault at this moment in time.

Engine out,Strip and inspect time as said above.

Andy

DuncanG 10 May 2005 10:40 PM

oil + water = head-gasket

Mark A 10 May 2005 11:42 PM

Hi Adam

I'm sorry to hear this as it sounds like bad news. Hope you get it sort soon.

Mark

Scoob+Bike=Fun 11 May 2005 12:52 AM

Andy, Thanks, It does make sense, i suppose I just presumed the worst, with it being both, engine is nearly ready to come out now, just got to seperate it from the box and un-do the engine mounts, so hopefully thursday night it will come out, and I will check the rings and bores, at least i might not have to buy a turbo, as I was planing a TD06 and fmic, but didnt want to spend the money yet, but at least i can get the bottom end ready for some serious boost.

Duncan, I thought it migt be the head gasket, but the only oil and water mix was in the IC, which could just be condensation and oil, the condensation would normally evaporate, but mixing with the oil in there, it will stay on the oil.

Mark, Cheers, I hope so too! I know it's not your fault, it's just my luck!!! just mine that isnt right out of the GB? bet your glad you didnt keep it and sold it to me now!! lol
you will know when it's all up and running.

Pavlo 11 May 2005 09:03 AM

It could be condensate from exhaust gas which is getting into the manifold somehow, depending on your breathers or other problems.

Before you actually take the heads off, check you have the right cams in the right heads and they are timed correctly to the crank.

Who did the conversion?

Paul

Scoob+Bike=Fun 11 May 2005 05:06 PM

How do you check if the cams are in the right head or not?

Hyper SR did the conversion, and as I have said before, that this happened over time gradually, and not since day one, so I would assume that it is somthing that has happened since the build, as it was perfect for the first few weeks.

I thought it was condensate, seems more likely, see the post above yours pavlo.

Adam