ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   MOT Testing, Your Impreza and the Brake Test (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/420655-mot-testing-your-impreza-and-the-brake-test.html)

Vegescoob 19 April 2005 06:59 PM

An offer pslewis. PM me, come across to my part of the world, I'll book you in with my MOT tester, you will drive during brake test and I will be the assistant during the rest of test. Or ,if you're a very good boy you will be.
You'll pay a bit more than £28 but less than official.
I can't say fairer than that can I?

dpb 19 April 2005 07:14 PM

a lot of garages allow a free re-test.......:rolleyes:..............but dont lets sully your 'enjoyment'.

Jason Knowles 19 April 2005 07:17 PM

pslewis I own a Mot center in London,I own a subaru,my mot tester is 40 years old,will not abuse your car you can go on the brake test with him if you want.It will cost you £35.00,and your car will be perfectly safe.If thats any good for you pm me. JASON

hoskib 19 April 2005 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Cheers Simon ....... not sure why they refused me then?? :(

because you're an arse?

pslewis 19 April 2005 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by hoskib
because you're an arse?

They may have a different view to you?

Remember, they are 3 feet away from me .... not a keyboard warrior like you - so, maybe they just think I'm Anal about my car??

Pete

pslewis 19 April 2005 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Knowles
pslewis I own a Mot center in London,I own a subaru,my mot tester is 40 years old,will not abuse your car you can go on the brake test with him if you want.It will cost you £35.00,and your car will be perfectly safe.If thats any good for you pm me. JASON

Thanks very much for that offer Jason - West East South or North London?

You should know whats what - is it laid down by the Ministry that the owner of the vehicle cannot accompany the tester?

And would your MOT Tester object if an owner requested to ride along? Just want to gauge opinion from those that know.

Pete

hoskib 19 April 2005 07:45 PM

They may have a different view to you?

Remember, they are 3 feet away from me .... not a keyboard warrior like you - so, maybe they just think I'm Anal about my car??

Pete

calm down you moody old bugger:rolleyes:

sheesh, just having a laugh. thought trolls didn't bite?

keyboard warrior? what's that mean then?

pslewis 19 April 2005 07:47 PM

calm down you moody old bugger:rolleyes:

sheesh, just having a laugh. thought trolls didn't bite?

keyboard warrior? what's that mean then?

Not biting are you?? ;) :D

Pete

Keyboard Warrior ........... it sounds good, and pisses some people off :D

Jason Knowles 19 April 2005 07:55 PM

The best landmark i can give you is Oval cricket ground.You can use the owner as the assistant,so I cant see a problem with you going on the brake test,the tester would not mind you going,hes got nothing to hide as we test all sorts of high end cars and a subaru is nothing out of the ordinary for him.Pete it will be a painless experiance for you JASON

hoskib 19 April 2005 07:57 PM

Not biting are you?? ;) :D

nope. sorry:D

Keyboard Warrior ........... it sounds good, and pisses some people off :D

obviously not all:D:D

good luck sorting your car pete, nothing wrong with wanting to look after it and wanting the best care taken but sometimes you've just gotta put your trust in strangers and trust your instincts

(see, i can play nice;))

pslewis 19 April 2005 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jason Knowles
The best landmark i can give you is Oval cricket ground.You can use the owner as the assistant,so I cant see a problem with you going on the brake test,the tester would not mind you going,hes got nothing to hide as we test all sorts of high end cars and a subaru is nothing out of the ordinary for him.Pete it will be a painless experiance for you JASON

Cheers Jason ..... I'm sure you would be very good!!

Is it Ministry Regulation that you can use the owner as the assistant?

Cheers

Pete

pslewis 19 April 2005 08:02 PM

good luck sorting your car pete, nothing wrong with wanting to look after it and wanting the best care taken but sometimes you've just gotta put your trust in strangers and trust your instincts

I KNOW .............. but, my instincts tell me NOT to let a car I own out of my sight :(

I think I will just have to grin and bear it ........ unless I can offer to be the 'Assistant' and they can't say its against the Ministry Regulations

Pete

Jason Knowles 19 April 2005 08:08 PM

I have 3 testers on site on ocasion we use the owner as the assistant,my testers are very aware of the rules,if it wasnt allowed they wouldnt do it.Put it this way if you can have a !8 year old teenager as an assistant why cant you have a 40 year old business man?

pslewis 19 April 2005 08:09 PM

Insurance reasons??

Just guessing at what their next answer may be??

Liability Insurance??

Pete

Houghton 19 April 2005 08:11 PM

On the two occassions my car's been MOT tested, the car was driven a short distance, maybe 200 yards at, what seemed like, a slowish speed (much less than 30). One way to test the footbrake and the return to test the h/brake. Oh! and with no assistant.

I can see your POV and feel the same about my car. Personally, faced with the same dilemma, I'd ignore the discount and phone round the local MOT stations and ask each how they brake test 4WDs.

Another thing to check is the free re-test. I was stitched up at one place, with another car, where it turned out that 'free' only applied if they carried out any repair.

pslewis 19 April 2005 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Houghton
On the two occassions my car's been MOT tested, the car was driven a short distance, maybe 200 yards at, what seemed like, a slowish speed (much less than 30). One way to test the footbrake and the return to test the h/brake. Oh! and with no assistant.

I can see your POV and feel the same about my car. Personally, faced with the same dilemma, I'd ignore the discount and phone round the local MOT stations and ask each how they brake test 4WDs.

Another thing to check is the free re-test. I was stitched up at one place, with another car, where it turned out that 'free' only applied if they carried out any repair.

Thanks

I asked where they take the car, expecting him to say, "The Car Park" - he said he and his assistant would be taking it through the Industrial Estate and onto a quiet road they know ......... I'm guessing now - but it could be 5 miles away!! :eek:

This centre does not charge me a penny if the car fails, I can simply walk away ..... so, its in their interests to try and pass it.

Then when they charge, its £28.

The deal is very good and its only the fact that the car will be out of my sight being driven maybe carefully, but maybe not!

I keep an eye on my other cars!

Pete

Vegescoob 19 April 2005 08:41 PM

Well two offers for ps, Jason and me, allowing him to accompany tester and he hasn't said please to either.
This in yet another thread about MOT and brake testing from him.
Makes you think doesn't it?
Do you think he really has a Scooby?

patrolman 19 April 2005 08:48 PM

mot's

some testing stations have modern brake test equipment were the rollers roll in different directions
my advice would be to phone round to find a garage with this type of system

hoskib 19 April 2005 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
Well two offers for ps, Jason and me, allowing him to accompany tester and he hasn't said please to either.

pete lewis fibbing?

surely not:lol:

pslewis 19 April 2005 08:56 PM

I have PM'd you and received no reply? You asked me to PM so I did!

Jason is in London and is an option if I get too tied up here

I have thanked you both for the offers - MOT time is Friday at High Noon ... it 'may' just turn out ok

I wanted to go armed with a good reason for them letting me sit in the back of the car, see??

And if its NOT Ministry Rules I want to be able to say that with confidence!

Pete

Vegescoob 19 April 2005 09:01 PM

ps, no PM appeared yet.

dpb 19 April 2005 09:01 PM

somones gettin taken for a ride .;).....thats for sure

pslewis 19 April 2005 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by dpb
somones gettin taken for a ride .;).....thats for sure

All I wanted was to be taken for a ride in my own car! :(

Pete :D

pslewis 19 April 2005 09:06 PM

ps, no PM appeared yet.

Your box full??

Anyway, I asked where your part of the world was ...... in case it was close (and said thanks for the offer!!!)

Pete

Vegescoob 19 April 2005 09:11 PM

No, box not full.
Currently 15.
So all can see!

pete P1 19 April 2005 09:14 PM

im a mechanic and mot tester in the west london area. if you want to get it done at my place ,im sure there would be no probs with you beeing involved with the brake test.even if im not testing, the other testers in his late fiftys and very helpful. let me know if you are local.

Vegescoob 19 April 2005 09:14 PM

Very fickle this modern technology isn't it?
Eh ps.

Vegescoob 19 April 2005 09:17 PM

Another offer!
The camaraderie in the Scooby world is awesome.
Come on ps accept the offer from one of us.

pslewis 19 April 2005 09:18 PM

Thanks Pete P1 ..........................

Some nice offers from people, you're not all hatching a plan to get me at an MOT station to 'do me over' are you?? ;)

Other testers seem ok about the owner travelling with them, it appears??

Pete

pslewis 19 April 2005 09:19 PM

Another offer!
The camaraderie in the Scooby world is awesome.
Come on ps accept the offer from one of us.

You still haven't said where you are Vege .....

Pete