ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Done for speeding (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/410910-done-for-speeding.html)

sarasquares 15 March 2005 09:25 AM

:lol:

Leslie 15 March 2005 11:27 AM

Dont see how they can possibly do you over the lampost bit when they were on a different road. I bet thats why you did not hear any more about it. Good idea to look into all the facets when you get a NIP.

Les

Vipa 15 March 2005 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by sarasquares
i'd delay paying as long as you can, cameras are surley going to be scrapped soon then it wont matter:p

Please expand?????????????????

Old_Fart 15 March 2005 01:27 PM

Bad luck Mark, but, from the police point of view...
If you really were traveling at 80mph then the cops can reasonably assume that your cars speedo would have been indicating around 88mph or so as in the vast majority of cases the speedo over reads, therefore they will be under the assumption that you just didn't watch your speed or at least knew you were speeding by quite some margin, so assuming they were using properly callibrated equipment correctly then I think they have grounds to try and prosecute.
That's a general observation about speeding policing, not specifically aimed at Mark.
Rgds
Cman

MarkO 15 March 2005 03:30 PM

Old Fart - I really hope that's not why they're prosecuting, as it would mean the entire way road speed is being enforced is a complete farce. The implication being that if my speedo was over-reading by 20mph and I was 'knowingly' driving at 90mph (despite actually only doing 70) then I should be prosecuted for 'being naughty' despite not actually breaking any law. :eek:

But unfortunately, you're probably right. :( :rolleyes:

paulr 15 March 2005 03:36 PM

Thats crap Marko,80 mph on a quiet motorway is NOT dangerous and to get done for it is just daft,there is just no level of common sense applied.

The police lost some of my respect a while ago when i got done for 38 in a 30.

sarasquares 15 March 2005 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vipa
Please expand?????????????????

on what:confused:

MarkO 16 March 2005 12:40 PM

PaulR - TBH, an NIP for 38 in a 30 is not unreasonable IMO, because of the implications of more pedestrians, kids, etc. But I lost all respect for the police a long time ago anyway. ;)

MattPiece 16 March 2005 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by MarkO
PaulR - TBH, an NIP for 38 in a 30 is not unreasonable IMO, because of the implications of more pedestrians, kids, etc. But I lost all respect for the police a long time ago anyway. ;)

I regularly pass police at <=80mph on the A3. You were just unlucky MarkO - perhaps the Cumbrian police spotted the Southern type driving ;)

Mungo 17 March 2005 12:25 AM

..was told that ignorance is no excuse and you can work out the speed limit by working out how far apart the lamposts are...

What a crock of crap - maybe in the 60s this may have worked but speed limits change every 200m on roads these days for no discernable reason.
Maybe after you'd driven into the back of the car in front you could have told the arresting officer that you had lost concentration of the road ahead whilst working out the distance between the lamposts :rolleyes:

Adrian F 17 March 2005 10:47 AM

Cumbria Police used to have a sensible approach to the M6 I remember seeing a Police car at the side of the M6 monitoring the traffic from a raised area and I hit the brakes crawled pass at 70MPH the locals all just continued past at 85 no sharp braking etc. Now of course the Police get a profit from strictly enforcing the limit so they are out on the bridges with their laser guns raking it in :( . Shame it has nothing to do with road safety.

And for all those who preach about obeying limits many are set to control traffic flow or for Political reasons not road safety and 89% of pedestrian accidents are the fault of the Pedestrians walking out in front of the vehicle etc according to Governments own research.

Also if the Police are so keen on enforcing the law why don’t they enforce all the other petty rules like swearing in Public or smoking Cannabis? Because there is no profit in this. Funny enough I know a shop owner in Essex who was having his shop broken into at night and he phoned the Police as it was happening and they were to busy to attend but you trip over the Camera speed traps as you go round the county.

The only way to get some sense back into Traffic Policing is to remove the profit motive and let local people set Policing priorities like Burglary, Car crime and Mugging etc that actual worry people not some body doing 34 in a 30 at 4am.

Leslie 17 March 2005 11:44 AM

The distance between lamposts rule has been in existence for many years, since before repeater signs were thought of. Its a handy way to catch you out these days of all else fails. Bet they were just trying it on with Sarasquares to try to fool her to plead guilty even though she was on an elevated road and the lamposts were on the road beneath!

I think they should be well and truly castigated for trying that one.

Les :(

MarkO 17 March 2005 02:17 PM

MarkO - perhaps the Cumbrian police spotted the Southern type driving
Oi!!! I live in Scotland. :rolleyes:

Redkop 17 March 2005 05:20 PM

:lol: i like a man who gets his nickers in a twist;)

Taliking of underwear on a speeding thread, whatever next Sara, next you will be asking... ''is there something wrong with sniffing womens underwear, being a woman myself, I would like to know?" :D:D:D

Can see why you like a man who man who gets his knickers in a twist though ;)

Vegescoob 17 March 2005 07:42 PM

I am "mature" but time was when if you were sensible as, I mostly was ,you could drive in 60 limit with 75/80 on speedo and in 70 limit with 95/100 on speedo.
That meant if you travelled at the right time you could get somewhere in a reasonable time.
Now, you have to constantly monitor for scameras and "Safety Vans".
Why, when everything else is getting faster, is traffic being slowed down?
Btw, 30, 40, and some 50 I have no problem with.
Let's have graded licences, like airline pilots.
But only one chance with the "high performance car licence".

GaryCat 17 March 2005 07:46 PM

Oi!!! I live in Scotland
Yeah but you still drive like a southerner. You should be careful as there are more Land Rovers in Scotland.

MarkO 17 March 2005 08:46 PM

Yeah but you still drive like a southerner.
Nah, I've gone native now. ;)

You should be careful as there are more Land Rovers in Scotland.
:p

chiark 17 March 2005 08:54 PM

:(

Truly silly, and a guaranteed way for the police to ensure that people have respect for the law. It would be petty of me to point out the small crisis that Nottinghamshire is in, wouldn't it? Oh well...

I was driving up the M6 on Friday afternoon, and noticed small lines on the road after a bridge, near services in Cumbria after the A65 junction, but before Penrith... I was making good progress for the conditions and traffic, and am now going to be worried for the next two weeks.

Still got the lifebook, Mark? :D

MarkO 17 March 2005 09:59 PM

:) Still got the lifebook. It's still working too.... Mind you, it doesn't get flung up and down a 2-hour commute each day, and just spends most of its time asleep on the kitchen table.... :D

Scooby-Duke 17 March 2005 11:04 PM

Speed limits are still a farce. Where apporopriate dont we all think they should be adjusted according to volumn of traffic, ie low volumn of traffic on a motorway make it 90mph, if busy lower to 50mph.

What's wrong with that, nowt!!! Done for 80 in in a 70 is ridiculous.

C'mon officers give motorists a break and do something more useful with all that money 'WE' pay you anyway.

Same can be said to the government, what happens to all the revenue from the 'Road Fund Licence'??? most of the roads around Sussex/Surrey are in absolute sh1t conditon!!!

Tell you what, lets all get together with every single motorist in the UK and turn round to Blair and the rest of his labour Tw4ts and say we're not paying RFL anymore. That'll be interesting.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Dave