ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Ellen MacArthur - her own story (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/401747-ellen-macarthur-her-own-story.html)

unclebuck 09 February 2005 07:58 PM

It's on ITV - says it all really. :rolleyes:

"ITV News is given exclusive access to Ellen's 20-hour onboard personal video diary and footage taken throughout her epic journey"

Sounds riveting. :(

I think they should show the Dawn French version instead. Now that was entertaining.

:D

Iain Young 09 February 2005 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by mattstant
Its a shame you cant appreciate both Ian.
If you had got more involved on your scotttish island trip maybe you would have enjoyed it more (perhaps i'm being unfair and you did)

but fir fecks sake let it lie

A bit unfair. I really did try to like it, but the slow pace just didn't help, I did feel a little seasick, and I can only look at so much open water before it all starts to look the same. Wasn't much wildlife about either. In fact the only real impressive wildlife I saw was a killer whale in the gap between mull and iona. But I was on the ferry when I saw that...

As I said, each to their own. I'll stick to walking (trying the Swiss Alps this year :) )

p.s. I'll had every intention of letting it lie, until you replied. That's now officially my last word on the subject though ;)

r32 10 February 2005 07:32 AM

Well I must be the only one who thinks what she did was amazing, pointless but amazing.
I think she must be very brave, very talented (sailing) and deserves all the support she gets from the general population ...........

Andy Hall 10 February 2005 09:00 AM

You are not alone :)

Wait for it, someone will be along in a minute to tell us what a waste of time it was :Whatever_

Leslie 10 February 2005 12:26 PM

Lot of "green eyes" on this thread aren't there Apparition!

Les

Account deleted by request 10 February 2005 12:51 PM

Fair play to her, great achievement.

don't really give a sh1t though. Think a lot of people feel the same.

chopper

TelBoy 10 February 2005 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by the moose
I'll stick my winnings from the election result on this one, I think. Chance of Tories winning are zero, and Ellen M has done it too early in the year, is in too much of a minority "sport", and will lose votes 'cos she's, frankly, a bit of a moose.**

A safe bet that she'll get an honourable mention, but that's all.

**Which, rather obviously, I have no problem with.

Cool. Will you give me 4/1? I'll do another £50 there if so. Let me know. :)

ozzy 10 February 2005 12:59 PM

Personally, I think it was a great achievement, and Ellen has got sheer guts and skill to take on such a challenge. Also good to see the Brits taking some records again.

I do think the media hype is a bit carried away with itself, but with 24hrs news and lots of time to fill it's no surprise we get these 30min specials every now and again.

Wouldn't mind doing her job all the same :)

InvisibleMan 10 February 2005 03:39 PM

scarfell pike in mid-February, they look at me as if I was mad
yup ;)

I used to live there & would have done it then but im feeling the cold more & more in my old age, that & the fact ive lived down south for a number of years now means ive turned into a soft southern shandy drinker :D

Iain Young 10 February 2005 03:46 PM

:D

InvisibleMan 10 February 2005 03:56 PM

"i can remember when i were a lad, for PE cross country, we had to run up them hills in icy windy conditions in shorts'n'vest before lunchtime..."

why was cross-country only in winter? thats just sick'n'twisted that :freak3: :cuckoo:

ozzy 10 February 2005 04:08 PM

they do it in winter to toughen you up a little. I enjoyed it so much, I still do it. now that is crazy .... a grown man and all that .... should really know better by now :cuckoo:

InvisibleMan 10 February 2005 04:22 PM

when i was young & foolish i did 2week holiday youth hostelling & camping in Cumbria from one peak to the next, did all the major peaks & loads inbetween...that was fun....apart from the hoovering you were told to do 'as payment for your board & food"