ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   S203 ??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/387248-s203.html)

AndyC_772 22 December 2004 04:18 PM

Don't count on it. What a lot of people don't seem to realise is that, for MY05, there's much less difference between the STI and the Spec C than there was in previous years. Both cars now share the same extended wheelbase and suspension geometry, so the Spec C has lost a lot of its uniqueness. (Even the UK car now has this setup).

So, the differences are: cosmetics, weight, a few electric toys (the std STI is better equipped), size of fuel and I/C water tanks, plus the Spec C has a roller bearing turbo which is nevertheless very similar to the standard sleeve bearing unit - really nothing to get too excited about.

I'd skip both models and spend S203 money on getting a Type 25 myself. I certainly wouldn't buy a bugeye, however 'special' or 'limited' it might be.

trails 22 December 2004 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
I'd skip both models and spend S203 money on getting a Type 25 myself. I certainly wouldn't buy a bugeye, however 'special' or 'limited' it might be.

I'm not looking at buying for a couple of years...buying a new car is just plain stupid (IMHO), why the issue with the bugeye...just looks or is there more too it?

Rasher 22 December 2004 05:31 PM

1445kg - from the Subaru Japan site.
thanks mate

Rasher 22 December 2004 05:35 PM

I certainly wouldn't buy a bugeye, however 'special' or 'limited' it might be.
another informed unbaised opinion, considering you only thought the S202 had a titanium back box and a few cosmetic changes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please:rolleyes:

AndyC_772 22 December 2004 06:27 PM

Lighten up :)

The S202 STi version based on the WRX STi Spec C 17-in model, and makes 320 horsepower. The S202 STi versions equipped with a higher power ECU, a air-intake for competition, an air duct hose, a engine oil cooler, a titanium muffler, rotors with slit, sten-mesh hoses, PIRELLI P-ZERO tires, RAYS wheels, a STi carbon rear spoiler, a exclusive gauge cluster, power window, center door lock, and manual air conditioner.
Sorry mate, but in terms of the oily bits it really does sound like any other STI with a remap, induction kit and exhaust, which can be fitted to any car. I'm not saying it's a bad car - far from it - but it's not special like the 22B is special. Please don't take it personally, I'm only trying to give my objective, unbiased advice. Now I've dug out the full spec, anyone who thinks I'm talking rubbish can feel free to ignore me - remember, opinions are like a**eholes, everyone's got one.

My opinion still stands - I don't believe in paying just for exclusivity (I think it's a waste of money), and I believe that from a financial standpoint, buying a bugeye is a mistake because in a few years' time, prospective second hand buyers will tend to favour facelifted '03 cars. Time will tell. In the meantime, you enjoy your car and I'll enjoy mine :D

Rasher 22 December 2004 07:49 PM

STI have improved the EJ20 Boxer engine with a new sport ECU, exclusive roller bearing turbo, lightweight titanium STI exhaust, improved inlet efficiency, revised inlet cam profile and a larger air filter. To cope with this increase in power STI have also fitted an additional Oil cooler. The changes to the engine have increased horsepower output to:
Power 320 Bhp (235kW) @ 6,400 rpm
Torque 283 lbft (384Nm) @ 4,400 rpm
The suspension set-up is based on the amazing RA Spec C but also features up rated bushes and ring links that further improves the already special chassis.
The S202 also features stainless steel brake hoses enhancing braking force and more importantly pedal feel. Even the wheels have been changed to lighter (-7 kg) 10 spoke 17" Alloys fitted with high grip Pireri Zero Rosso's.
The S202 uniquely has a new wind tunnel tested high rear wing made from carbon fibre that dramatically improves the car's high-speed stability. The interior also receives attention with special black cloth on the bucket seats and door trim. Unlike the stripped out Type RA models the S202 features a few creature comforts such as manual Air conditioning, electric windows and central locking.
A slightly more comprehensive spec.:D
fair comments but as you said they are your opinions, this is not personal, nothing could be further from the truth, but as you said I will enjoy my car as you will yours. By the way what do you drive???

RB5_245 22 December 2004 08:00 PM

Give me a 3-door flared arch bug eye 22b spec-C.

Now that would be the ultimate special edition IMHO, well worth paying miles over the odds for.

Dave

Danny B 22 December 2004 08:13 PM

By the way what do you drive???
He drives a Saxo, very nice it is too ;)

Rasher 22 December 2004 08:33 PM

He drives a Saxo, very nice it is too
lol:D

AndyC_772 22 December 2004 08:39 PM

Ok, fair cop, there's more difference than I knew about. Maybe a drive is in order - but it's still a bugeye :D

FWIW, I drive an '05 JDM STI 'ZL'.

Rasher 22 December 2004 08:42 PM

but it's still a bugeye
only if you look at it from the outside:D

Rasher 22 December 2004 08:43 PM

FWIW, I drive an '05 JDM STI 'ZL'.
forgive my ignorance what does 'ZL' stand for???

sherlock 22 December 2004 08:54 PM

strange?

Is it me or does this photo look like a 2 dr :(

http://response.jp/issue/2004/1213/a...ages/77628.jpg

must be the angle

http://response.jp/issue/2004/1213/a...ages/77627.jpg

nice all the same.

Sherlock

Ps i haven't been drinking ......... much :D

Danny B 22 December 2004 09:07 PM

forgive my ignorance what does 'ZL' stand for???
Zero luxury.

AndyC_772 22 December 2004 09:07 PM

ZL is the option code which means the car comes with DCCD-A, tinted rear windows, and HID lights. See http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=387785

16vmarc 22 December 2004 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by RB5_245
Give me a 3-door flared arch bug eye 22b spec-C.

Now that would be the ultimate special edition IMHO, well worth paying miles over the odds for.

Dave

That would be interesting.

Rasher 22 December 2004 09:47 PM

Zero luxury
cheers:D

silver6933 21 February 2016 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772 (Post 4111818)
buying a bugeye is a mistake because in a few years' time, prospective second hand buyers will tend to favour facelifted '03 cars. Time will tell.
:D

I had a good laugh reading this. Time has spoken.