ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Newbie with a dump valve question (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/384573-newbie-with-a-dump-valve-question.html)

7 Foot 03 December 2004 09:02 AM

:eek2: Gaaargh!!! :eek2:

automodellistagt 03 December 2004 09:03 AM

i still dont understand why it would cause bore wash. The re-circ air goes where exactly? because surely it would have to go through a meter again and be re-measured otherwise it will be innacurate?

GRIFF007 03 December 2004 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by automodellistagt
i still dont understand why it would cause bore wash. The re-circ air goes where exactly? because surely it would have to go through a meter again and be re-measured otherwise it will be innacurate?

havent checked the plumbing, but seems that way to me too

also that lovely waste gate flutter - anyone know how to emulate that safely - drove an esprit once where this was very loud - sounded great - looking for a more subtle (not heard so much inside) level of sound

Put the beer away guys - too early - experienced comments please!

FB Tuning 03 December 2004 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by GRIFF007
havent checked the plumbing, but seems that way to me too

also that lovely waste gate flutter - anyone know how to emulate that safely - drove an esprit once where this was very loud - sounded great - looking for a more subtle (not heard so much inside) level of sound

Put the beer away guys - too early - experienced comments please!

The recirculated air goes back into the system AFTER the MAF sensor, but before the turbo. - therefore the MAF does not see that air (again), but the ECU bases its fuel calculations on that bit of air being in the system.

Richard

Graz 03 December 2004 10:32 AM

Correct!

AFAIK the chattering noise heard with WRC cars is a combination of the wastegate and the fact that they don't have dump valves. As the throttle is closed the compressed air hits the throttle and bounces back towards the turbo, ultimately stalling it. What you hear is the turbo blades chopping the air coming back of the closed throttle.

If you want to emulate this on your own scoob you ideally need a full decat and induction kit (to increase the noise) then remove the dump valve completely, blocking up the holes left by it.

The only downside is it may shorten the life of your turbo considerably :D Depends how strong it is ;)

automodellistagt 03 December 2004 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by fiestaboy
The recirculated air goes back into the system AFTER the MAF sensor, but before the turbo. - therefore the MAF does not see that air (again), but the ECU bases its fuel calculations on that bit of air being in the system.

Richard

its not that i dont believe you but that too many vairables in it, there must be a way the computer calculates it more accurately

have to wait and see i guess

Soulgirl 03 December 2004 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
Soulgirl, your car already has a dump valve, a recirculating one I presume if the engine is otherwise standard (?). If you are happy with the sound, there's no reason to even consider replacing the standard recirc dump valve with a VTA item :)

Ahhh... although Im sure I was told I didn't have one. Anyway, it's not high on my priorities anyway... unless they make jewel encrusted ones for that added bling factor LOL

automodellistagt 03 December 2004 03:52 PM

got this from a respected company today

With regard to recirculating air, the Subaru ECU doesn't take this into its
calculation because any returning air would be deposited on closed throttle,
therefore fuel cut is in place anyway. I guess im saying that there should
be no concern with running an atmo BOV.

NotoriousREV 03 December 2004 04:35 PM

Yes, but when you put your foot back on the gas, the ECU will need to add fuel and it mixes it with the air mass it assumes is already there.

Fit one if you want, but it'll be hesitant and a bit lumpy on and off the gas.

FB Tuning 03 December 2004 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by automodellistagt
got this from a respected company today

...No offence intended, but don't you think that they might have told you this as they sell plenty of VTAs and think that you may be considering purchasing one? ;)

andypugh2000 03 December 2004 05:04 PM

Any beers left chaps????

ooooh and another corner :D:D

automodellistagt 03 December 2004 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by fiestaboy
...No offence intended, but don't you think that they might have told you this as they sell plenty of VTAs and think that you may be considering purchasing one? ;)

i had taken this into consideration lol but i had tried my best that i wasnt interessted in buying another i just wanted a decent technical opinion. (im still waiting for subaru to get back to me although i do have a friend that works right next door to prodrive....:norty: )

Gary C 03 December 2004 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by chris garner
Dump Valves When accelerating hard, as you take your foot off the gas (e.g. to change gear) the flow of air into the engine drastically reduces. The turbo however will still be spinning and trying to force-feed air into the engine and as a result, the turbo starts to slow down due to the reduced airflow. When you reapply the gas again, the throttle opens and air can flow again allowing the turbo to spin up freely again. The time where the turbo impeller loses speed and has to regain it again is felt as turbo lag

This venting process reduces the restriction on the Turbo impeller, so that it doesn't slow down as quickly. The result is less Turbo lag.

Uprating your dump valve from the standard one will allow air to vent more quickly and will thus reduce Turbo lag even more.

Hum, thats quite not what happens and is not how a centrifugal compressor works. When you snap your throttle closed, their is a large mass of moving air. This runs in to the throttle plate and gives a pressure spike greater than the boost pressure, the air flow then turns and flows back up the inlet tract and hits the compressor. This reverse flow can slow the compressor and the shock wave can even break the compressor in the worst case.

The thing about blowers is, the greater the restriction to flow, the less power they take (at work we have 16 blowers rated at 10,000,000 Watts each, when you close the outlet guide vanes, the power drawn changes massivley).

With a DV you have to balance the requirement to dump the spike in boost pressure but not allow the compressor to expend energy pumping air about. Changing your DV to one that does not match your car can in theory actually increase lag.