ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   How do you judge class? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/381816-how-do-you-judge-class.html)

ajm 23 November 2004 08:50 AM

Poor old Pete ;)

As I posted in the other thread, class is not bragging about your financial status. It also includes not voting Labour and not having to spend 6 months and 20 threads deciding whether or not to spend an extra £20 on a better model of camera, mp3 player etc.! ;)

All signs of a lower class upbringing! :D

Diablo 23 November 2004 08:58 AM

Class can be looked at in two ways.

Traditional Class distinctions of Working Class, Middle Class and Upper Class do indeed centre around wealth, location, upbringing and social values.

Whether someone actually has "class" however is a different matter. having "class" is not dependent upon wealth, and generally the "neuveau riche" have none. (apologies if spelling incorrect)

In my mind, if you think it can be bought (eg footballers, pop stars, etc,) then you don't have it and never will. Class isn't buying the £2.5m country house, the Supercars and the range Rover with tints.

Class is realising that those things don't "make" the person.

Leslie 23 November 2004 09:07 AM

Well said Diablo, but PSL will never understand that. Class distinction is terribly important to him.

Les :)

Dr Hu 23 November 2004 09:37 AM

OK - If NSR is middle class - I feel (and I'm sticking my neck out here) that SR is edging down towards council estate scum/chav....?

It certainly seems that way now - never go in there anymore - can't put up wiv it - respeck

see i'm drifting into SR lingo already, just thinking about it:(

(climbs into fireproof suit);)

Little Miss WRX 23 November 2004 09:44 AM

In general I don't judge people into "class".

If other people want to and it keeps them happy.......then fair enough.

Dracoro 23 November 2004 09:56 AM

SN is about as far from upper middle class as can be! Who ever said it wasnt needs their head testing!
Exactly.

Someone with class would not drive around in a car with big spoilers and bonnet scoops. :D

Vegescoob 23 November 2004 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Diablo
Class can be looked at in two ways.

Traditional Class distinctions of Working Class, Middle Class and Upper Class do indeed centre around wealth, location, upbringing and social values.

Whether someone actually has "class" however is a different matter. having "class" is not dependent upon wealth, and generally the "neuveau riche" have none. (apologies if spelling incorrect)

In my mind, if you think it can be bought (eg footballers, pop stars, etc,) then you don't have it and never will. Class isn't buying the £2.5m country house, the Supercars and the range Rover with tints.

Class is realising that those things don't "make" the person.

Very succinct definition that is the traditional sociological definition.
Regarding these forums my gut feeling is that there is a reasonable class mix remembering though access requires the technology.
"Hot" political topics always seem to produce a range of views.

thundertiger 23 November 2004 10:05 AM

pete, you are about as classy as an essex bird with jimmy savilles jewellery collection around her neck and a fake burberry baseball cap.

people who brag about money are so often the ones who dont have any.
when i say any i also mean, social standing, friends, confidence or common sense.

class comes from within. if people are happy with themselves then good luck to them.
it has nothing to do with how much dough they have been left, or if they have won the lottery or not.

there are more important things in life to worry about.

pete, you may have 3 cars, but at least one of them was a handmedown from vidal sassoon. (class??) me thinks not.

fanx

BB:)

Chip 23 November 2004 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Its easy to judge CLASS - I have it, others don't! :D

It was my statement by the way, and I reckon SN is Upper Middle ..... most earn way above the £35k Average Wage and own houses/apartments valued in excess of £1/2million .... and own/drive 3 cars.

Just like ME! :D

Pete

Bollox! Most ppl on here havent even got a scooby. As for £35k+ and £1/2 houses then I know your dreaming.

As for your class. Well Pete my boy you just havent got any have you;)

Chip

Dracoro 23 November 2004 10:37 AM

People with 'high' class don't talk about money or discuss 'class'. That's why you're all like me and 'average' class ;) :D

Brendan Hughes 23 November 2004 10:45 AM

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=358166

Chip 23 November 2004 10:50 AM

From the above thread.

Upper class:
Everyone eats according to etiquette. If you have guests, and they make an etiquette error (eg cutting their bread roll in half and buttering it), the host will also deliberately make the error to make their guest feel comfortable. Good breeding at it's best.

Upper middle class:
As above, but rather than also make the error, will simply frown and decide to not invite said guest again. Thinks they are upper class, but they don't have the breeding and never will.

Middle class:
Knows about etiquette. If a guest makes an error, will inwardly smile and feel smug that they are better than the guest.

Lower middle class:
Thinks they know about etiquette, but gets many things wrong. If a guest makes a error, will worry that maybe they have got it wrong.

Lower class:
No etiquette practiced at all. Plenty of eating with open mouths and elbows on the table. Peas are scraped onto the fork with the thumb.

Chav class:
Think feeding time at the primate house. Then consider that chimps would probably have better manners than chavs.

Chip

Vegescoob 23 November 2004 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chip
From the above thread.

Upper class:
Everyone eats according to etiquette. If you have guests, and they make an etiquette error (eg cutting their bread roll in half and buttering it), the host will also deliberately make the error to make their guest feel comfortable. Good breeding at it's best.

Upper middle class:
As above, but rather than also make the error, will simply frown and decide to not invite said guest again. Thinks they are upper class, but they don't have the breeding and never will.

Middle class:
Knows about etiquette. If a guest makes an error, will inwardly smile and feel smug that they are better than the guest.

Lower middle class:
Thinks they know about etiquette, but gets many things wrong. If a guest makes a error, will worry that maybe they have got it wrong.

Lower class:
No etiquette practiced at all. Plenty of eating with open mouths and elbows on the table. Peas are scraped onto the fork with the thumb.

Chav class:
Think feeding time at the primate house. Then consider that chimps would probably have better manners than chavs.

Chip

So if we all had webcams we could watch each other eat and all know each others' class!
What a thread would come from that!

Leslie 23 November 2004 11:04 AM

Why should it be so important anyway, a person's character is much more significant than all that guff.

les

TurboKitty 23 November 2004 11:15 AM

Leslie, it's not important at all, at least, not to me. Pete's comment just made me wonder what everyone else thought.

De Warrenne 23 November 2004 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Come on now, no-one gets out of bed for less than £35k these days - certainly if they have a Scooby to run! I mean, come on!! :rolleyes: £35k is a starting point for trainees these days, surely??

How else can you buy a 5 bed detached house in the country with a triple garage to house the cars??

Pete

£35K does not, these things buy.....