ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   What's a "JDM" spec car? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/375396-whats-a-jdm-spec-car.html)

gravelexpress 31 October 2004 07:45 PM

what a pointless argument - somone allways spouts off about JDM models being inferior, prone to failure etc etc

FACT - All Subarus are built in Japan

chrisp 31 October 2004 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
"my UK turbo will easily chomp off the arse of ANY basic modded wrx "

Dont let Chrisp hear you say that ;)
His wrx was one of the last ones (ltd editions) in classic form (280ps), up to around 320bhp and 300lbs of torque i believe ;):D

Tony:D

LOL, its nippy for a basic modded WRX and is mapped for Optimax and no booster.

Figures from graph :

279.4 lb/ft @ 5010 rpm
320.2bhp @ 7170 rpm

256.9 bhp @ the wheels

Trumptton 31 October 2004 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Trumptton
I though you JDM lot would sooner or later come hunting ;)

Amen ;)

AndyC_772 31 October 2004 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by gravelexpress
what a pointless argument - somone allways spouts off about JDM models being inferior, prone to failure etc etc

FACT - All Subarus are built in Japan

Well, yes - but theyr'e built to different specs. That's why I had a Japanese-spec 05 STI imported instead of popping into my local dealer and driving away in a Type UK.

Trumptton's pointless trolling is simple misinformation, though. UK cars can and do go bang - my UK MY00 had a big end failure despite having been driven and serviced by the book. Japanese-spec cars go bang too, usually because people run them on the wrong fuel or simply tune them too far or without really understanding what they're doing.

My new car has a UK fuel map that means I can run it on supermarket fuel if I really want - and the silent Knocklink sits there to prove it. There is no reason at all why it should be any more likely to die a premature death than a similarly specified UK car.

Mark_S 31 October 2004 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Trumptton
Crap and always blow up, need undersealing and lots of other bits to get on with british weather and oh did i mention they are a nightmare to insure?? apart from that they are brilliant motors ;)

As for the insurance the UK model would have cost me exactly the same amount as my JDM. I would agree insurance may be a problem for teenagers though;)

Chris L 31 October 2004 11:28 PM

The misinformation on this thread by one poster in particular is almost priceless.

Could I suggest you now nip over to Pistonheads and start a 'all 911s are crap with the engine in the wrong place' thread in the Porsche section? :)

Phil 31 October 2004 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chris L
The misinformation on this thread by one poster in particular is almost priceless.

Could I suggest you now nip over to Pistonheads and start a 'all 911s are crap with the engine in the wrong place' thread in the Porsche section? :)

PMSL nice one Chris

Andy_1271 01 November 2004 01:54 PM

I think he has apoint in the insurance stakes though, I looked at getting an RX7 a few months back:

Insurance on a UK model (very rare) about £700
Inusrance on a std import of the same model and year £1000+

and before anyone cuts in I'm 33 with 5 yrs NCB.

Andy

Nathan L 01 November 2004 03:28 PM

Depends on the insurer.

An STi Type UK is exaclty the price as my JDM STi with my insurers.

Kevin Groat 01 November 2004 03:41 PM

Windup alert....

Yawn:rolleyes:

Andy_1271 01 November 2004 05:08 PM

Might be due to one of two reasons:

1. they haven't insured it as an import

2. it costs enough to insure a UK STi that there is no additonal premium for an import.

Only going on personal experience, which leads me onto another question:

who are you insured with as I could use some good quotes....:thumb: