ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Clocks Forward 1 HOUR Tomorrow - REMEMBER! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/375209-clocks-forward-1-hour-tomorrow-remember.html)

pslewis 30 October 2004 08:28 PM

Am I alone in getting up at 2am to change the clocks?

Surely not!

The sundial is still confusing me, all I can think is that I have to twist it around 30 degrees?? Now, which way? :confused:

Pete

chaos. 30 October 2004 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by In the ring of fire
:razz: to the seriousness(sp?) of this thread

:hjtwofing

:thumb: to Pete ;)

And :razz: to you too.

;)

Butty 31 October 2004 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Am I alone in getting up at 2am to change the clocks?

Surely not!

The sundial is still confusing me, all I can think is that I have to twist it around 30 degrees?? Now, which way? :confused:

Pete

If the sundial confuses you Pete, then go back to using the stone circle you grew up with :)

Nick

SJ_Skyline 31 October 2004 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Butty
If the sundial confuses you Pete, then go back to using the stone circle you grew up with :)

Nick

Nothing wrong with the hardware - the software upgrades were a bugger though!! ;)

pslewis 31 October 2004 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Butty

Nick

Yes, thats fine and dandy ...... but, the question would still remain - which way would I face to get the right time?

Pete

SJ_Skyline 31 October 2004 09:52 AM

Pete,

In order to get the right time you must face the right direction thus we can assume that the right time and direction is neither the wrong time or direction or the left time or direction then we can discount these from the equation.

For example if you get the right time and face the wrong direction you may well be changing someone elses sundial. Likewise if you are facing the right direction but you have the left time then the time will be short! Should you find yourself short of time then you have obviously moved your sundial on too far and indeed you should have moved it back - probably closer to the house.

I hope this helps :)

SJ

pslewis 31 October 2004 07:26 PM

I've read that 200 times and still can't figure out how to adjust the time - ah, well, time has no meaning for me these days .... so maybe it doesn't matter - I was just really interested in knowing how they altered their sundials in the middle ages :confused: They MUST be a way?

Pete

Buckrogers 31 October 2004 07:34 PM

Don't lose any sleep over it though :D ;)

Please someone tell me how I change my sundial!!?? :confused:

Pete

Its better to remain silent and appear dumb, than to speak and remove all doubt.

ajm 31 October 2004 07:43 PM

I've read that 200 times and still can't figure out how to adjust the time - ah, well, time has no meaning for me these days .... so maybe it doesn't matter - I was just really interested in knowing how they altered their sundials in the middle ages :confused: They MUST be a way?

Pete

Pete, I think you'll find BST didn't exist until circa 1916. Anyway, since you are expressing a need to adjust your sundial are we to assume that it has already been changed from GMT to BST? If this is the case then why not ask the muppet who changed it in the first place? ;)

There now, I hope that gives you enough material to warrant dropping this particular, and singularly unsuccessful, windup! :D

David Lock 31 October 2004 07:46 PM

Just use a torch Lewis (not much sun at 2.00 am) :D

pslewis 31 October 2004 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Buckrogers
Its better to remain silent and appear dumb, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Excuse me - the sundial DOES need altering if the time has altered ..... this is no wind up!

The only way I can work out is a 30 degree shift ....... but, clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Pete

paulr 31 October 2004 08:27 PM

Clockwise.

pslewis 31 October 2004 08:30 PM

Thank You :D ;)

Pete

ajm 31 October 2004 08:32 PM

In case you overlooked my earlier post ;) why is your sundial set to BST anyway Pete? :D

pslewis 31 October 2004 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by ajm
In case you overlooked my earlier post ;) why is your sundial set to BST anyway Pete? :D

Because its not older than 6 months old, thats why :D

Pete

ajm 31 October 2004 09:12 PM

You must have the only sundial that is set to BST then! Also, in order to find true time from your sundial you need to add/subtract x minutes depending on what time of year it is (and your longitude) as per the "equation of time" due to the positioning of the sun. You must already be doing this (as you are clearly a stickler for accuracy ;) ) so while you are doing that why not subtract an extra hour to take into account the fact it is now GMT?

pslewis 31 October 2004 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by ajm
You must have the only sundial that is set to BST then! Also, in order to find true time from your sundial you need to add/subtract x minutes depending on what time of year it is (and your longitude) as per the "equation of time" due to the positioning of the sun. You must already be doing this (as you are clearly a stickler for accuracy ;) ) so while you are doing that why not subtract an extra hour to take into account the fact it is now GMT?

Yes, I know all that ...... but what happens come next spring? The plate HAS to be moved ...... what happens if its concreted down :eek: :(

Pete

ajm 31 October 2004 09:47 PM

Ok, I give up.... let the ruse continue :rolleyes:....

;)

pslewis 31 October 2004 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by ajm
Ok, I give up.... let the ruse continue :rolleyes:....

;)

It's no ruse, I wish it were ........ its a valid point.

If a sundial remains static all year then for 6 months it is showing the wrong time - surely thats correct?

So, it must be moved (or the baseplate must be) to compensate?

Pete

ajm 31 October 2004 09:59 PM

It's no ruse, I wish it were ........ its a valid point.

If a sundial remains static all year then for 6 months it is showing the wrong time - surely thats correct?

So, it must be moved (or the baseplate must be) to compensate?

Pete

That is the point I am making.... I know that, apart from a couple of days per year, a sundial ALWAYS shows the wrong time, which is why you need an equation of time adjustment table!

and now all of scoobynet knows that too, so unless you are going to adjust your sundial every 2-3 days (and look silly) you are going to have to drop this subject forthwith (and look silly).

;)

pslewis 31 October 2004 10:12 PM

If that was the case then, surely, they are useless at the only thing they are supposed to do?

Why didn't the ancients just buy a watch rather than a poxy sundial then?

Pete

ajm 31 October 2004 10:23 PM

If that was the case then, surely, they are useless at the only thing they are supposed to do?

Useless? I put it to you that you are useless at:

a) Adding and subtracting minutes as per a simple table for the purposes of using your sundial
b) Knowing when to give up on the biannual clock change windups
c) Being able to keep the thread sounding remotely plausible
d) Identifying when a seasoned troll hunter is using your thread to pass a few dull moments

:D

p.s. still voting Conservative!!! :D :D

chris's scooby 31 October 2004 10:24 PM

Why didn't the ancients just buy a watch rather than a poxy sundial then?

Pete

It was because they couldn't afford the replacement batteries for them.

pslewis 31 October 2004 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by ajm
a seasoned troll hunter is using your thread to pass a few dull moments

Considering the number of moments you have spent on my threads - you clearly have THOUSANDS of dull moments!! :D

Pete

ajm 31 October 2004 10:41 PM

Considering the number of moments you have spent on my threads - you clearly have THOUSANDS of dull moments!! :D

Pete

Nope, I'd estimate nearer 30 or so... do a search! :D

Notice my contributions to this thread have been both topical and fertile with useful information despite the slightly unconvincing origins of this thread. That is called making the best of a bad lot! ;)

Brendan Hughes 28 October 2006 07:28 PM

Update - don't forget, folks!

;)

Suresh 28 October 2006 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Update - don't forget, folks!

;)

It's you isn't it Brendan - you're him! :eek:

Puff The Magic Wagon! 28 October 2006 07:43 PM

Just for clarity look HERE!!

Suresh 28 October 2006 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Just for clarity look HERE!!

I know which way the clocks should go tonight i.e. forwards, but that site confused the hell out of me. :lol1:

Puff The Magic Wagon! 28 October 2006 08:04 PM

Oops :o

Try here or here or here

I'm sure there's a common theme running there someplace ;)