ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Insurance (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/)
-   -   Liverpool Victoria cancelling policies with mods? (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/367448-liverpool-victoria-cancelling-policies-with-mods.html)

scooby-si 06 October 2004 04:45 AM

steve you want my l&v insurance man to try and sort it for you m8;)

mail me all the details and ill try and get something sorted:D

Aztec Performance Ltd 06 October 2004 08:11 PM

still :confused:

Whats the history of LV paying out on claims?

S.B. 06 October 2004 08:27 PM

I changed from a subaru to an evo (both modded) spoke to an underwriter and no problems with mods :)

Also we have a pajero which they don't list in their models which the missus insures, spoke to an underwriter and they covered it :) The missus was using my old STi type r which they insured in her name when i bought the evo and she was under 30 as well ;)

You gotta speak to the right people ;)

Steve vRS 06 October 2004 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by S.B.
You gotta speak to the right people ;)

Which just isn't good enough is it?

Steve

mark@wrx 06 October 2004 09:47 PM

Strangely enough I asked LV for a quote last year and was told "Sorry we're not taking on any new business with Imprezas as we've got too many". Low and behold yesterday a speculative quote for this years insurance, from last years details, lands through the door from them!

DemonDave 06 October 2004 10:01 PM

I don't have the scoob now, but a few months ago all my mods where listed on the schedule .... actually .... hold on ... if you are with l&V with mods this is what you should have

http://www.dave.f2s.com/ins.jpg

DAve.

*Sonic* 06 October 2004 11:34 PM

LOL My policy is identical to the above

Another point, I thought that the reason L & V are so cheap is that they dont have Underwriters

SCD Simon 07 October 2004 12:05 AM

When the PPP went on my MY99 they amended the schedule to include
Exhaust and Engine/ Carburettor modifications
but the hardest thing to swallow was my premium went up by a whole £8 ;)

stevoWRX 07 October 2004 12:29 AM

Had confirmed today what has been repeated here ..

LV took over policies from other companies who had modified vehicles on their policies .. however .. they WILL NOT insure ANY vehicle modified or will cancel the policy of a vehicle that has been modified on a NEW LV policy .

I was on the latter , hence them deciding they don't want to insure me any more half way through my policy . thus cancelling it .

It still stinks tho , that they just suddenly change their mind well after the vehicle was modified ( PPP , Springs , etc ) AND was okayed with them each time .

Steve

SPEN555 08 October 2004 08:52 AM

What do they call 'NEW' though?

There must be an effective date?

Damian.

DJ140 08 October 2004 08:03 PM

I'm pleased to be with Direct Line. A good price and excellent service, when my wife made a recent claim.

It sounds like LV are a bunch of cowboys to me. What would they be like in the event of a complicated claim, when they can't even let all their employees know whether they allow mods or not?!

glen4 09 October 2004 04:23 PM

Just got my 00MY turbo renewal through from LV, clearly states on the policy schedule, mods as :- Exhaust modifications & aftermarket alloy wheels, better still renewal is less than £450. BTW, my Father had reason to make a claim for own fault accident damage, it went back to supplying dealer who did the work and was heard to say "LV, that's no problem, they are well known for being good payers and not accepting repairs to plastics, etc like some other well known companies"

Peanuts 09 October 2004 05:03 PM

just renewed this weekend and took the time to stress the mods point with the sales monkey.
no problem at all with your policy, says he, so long as your not increasing engine size.
then we get to the bit about them being performance enhancing, he checks and says is ok, just CC increase.
I reiterate the point again and then get his details, time, date etc and its game on.

john banks 09 October 2004 06:11 PM

Even more inconsistency, as they've told me before that cc increase is fine :rolleyes: and are presently insuring mine - I asked them first about 2 years ago before I planned it all and confirmed it twice since, although they won't put anything specific on the policy. What a mess! How vulnerable does this all make you feel that you are covered? The mods list is quite catch all though, engine/carb mods covers everything!

TopBanana 09 October 2004 06:42 PM

Record those phone calls chaps!

albob 09 October 2004 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by john banks
Even more inconsistency, as they've told me before that cc increase is fine :rolleyes: and are presently insuring mine - I asked them first about 2 years ago before I planned it all and confirmed it twice since, although they won't put anything specific on the policy. What a mess! How vulnerable does this all make you feel that you are covered? The mods list is quite catch all though, engine/carb mods covers everything!

john,
I dont feel too vulnerable. like you i have confirmed my (minor!) mods twice, i know they are on their system, i have the names of the people i spoke to on both occasions (plus times/dates). Nothing specific on certificate tho', but i feel that consumer law would be on my side in any dispute......... hopefully :)?

Dark Blue Mark 10 October 2004 07:42 PM

How old do you have to be and will tey cover imports?

MB

hades 10 October 2004 08:31 PM

Interesting thing in my case (phoning for a quote rather than renewing) is that I was told "OK for all mods EXCEPT cc increase OR chipping". No-one to give a definiteive answer, but I assumed ECUTEK counted as chipping, so I didn't want to risk it. That was on a parallel import (full UK spec from EU - or at least it was UK spec until I modded it!). When I'd last tried them for a quote, I was told I had to be over 30, which I now am :(

ShyTot 11 October 2004 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by DJ140
I'm pleased to be with Direct Line. A good price and excellent service, when my wife made a recent claim.

It sounds like LV are a bunch of cowboys to me. What would they be like in the event of a complicated claim, when they can't even let all their employees know whether they allow mods or not?!

Hmm.. Direct Line. That will be the same company as Priviledge. When I had PPP fitted to my STI I spent approx 1.5 hours on the phone to 3 different people, and each of them spoke to the underwriter. I got 3 different prices, for the additional remaining 3 months of the policy, £180, £300 and £360.

I cancelled the policy because I felt very exposed. LV were excellent. I spoke to 3 people who all gave me the same story and price, which was £20 cheaper than Priviledge.

DJ140 11 October 2004 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by ShyTot
Hmm.. Direct Line. That will be the same company as Priviledge. When I had PPP fitted to my STI I spent approx 1.5 hours on the phone to 3 different people, and each of them spoke to the underwriter. I got 3 different prices, for the additional remaining 3 months of the policy, £180, £300 and £360.

I cancelled the policy because I felt very exposed. LV were excellent. I spoke to 3 people who all gave me the same story and price, which was £20 cheaper than Priviledge.

I guess it must be the luck of the draw, with the call centre agent you get through too. The person I called had heard of PPP, but checked with the underwriters and confirmed that they would cover, for a small increase.

ShyTot 11 October 2004 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by DJ140
I guess it must be the luck of the draw, with the call centre agent you get through too. The person I called had heard of PPP, but checked with the underwriters and confirmed that they would cover, for a small increase.

Exactly! I think you are right, it is the luck of the draw
We do the best we can at renewal time and you can only do so much. If you are not happy with a company, then move to another.
I think we are over analysing the whole thing here, and as a result, with little or no real evidence, people are getting concerned.

Imagine the world of ignorance, like most people who don't Scoobynet! I'm sure they have been told all these same stories, and I'm sure that they don't give a toss and are quite happy in the end.

chris's scooby 11 October 2004 02:41 PM

I'm glad that i'm too young for LV to cover as well as that my car's staying standard.

Dark Blue Mark 11 October 2004 03:10 PM

Shy, igorance maybe bliss untill you write of a £25k scoob. If you haven't checked things to the nth degree, these companies will try and shaft you. Its a risk im not prepared to take and id want things in writing to protect the large sum of money sat on my driveway.

MB

Aztec Performance Ltd 11 October 2004 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark
Shy, igorance maybe bliss untill you write of a £25k scoob. If you haven't checked things to the nth degree, these companies will try and shaft you. Its a risk im not prepared to take and id want things in writing to protect the large sum of money sat on my driveway.

MB

here. here.

ShyTot 12 October 2004 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark

MB

Yes, and No...
I spend alot of my time doing software design & estimates for upgrades to telephony computer systems. For certain customers and under certain circumstances, we definately want the business and will offer a good proposal. There are cases, for whatever reason when we don't really want or need the business. In these cases we may just no-bid, or put in a very high price or just give some technical reason (possibly even a white lie) why we don't want the business.
Under these circumstances we can be pretty sure that all these people don't then get together and have a big discussion about what you can have and what I can't have and why and how much.
I suspect that this is happening here LV want some business and not others, for whatever reason - I don't claim to understand insurance.

Ignorance is bliss? No mate, that is why I left Priviledge, not because i couldn't get insurance, but because I wasn't confident about the service I was offered on the phone and that they really understood what I was talking about when I said PPP and expalined what it was.
I am confident about my LV insurance. I checked 3 times with 3 different people, and my policy says "Exhaust and ECU mods"

Dark Blue Mark 12 October 2004 09:39 AM

The critera which you are accepted on is different from when they come to look at an individual claim. They may accept you on the info given, but if you're asked to shell out £25k, or any other large amount, you can rest assured they will look into the policy in a bit more detail.

All im saying is that it pays not to just accept things for face value, and there's no harm in being very thorough. It seems you have checked this on policy anwyay, so not too far off from what we're talking about.

MB

bgood 13 October 2004 06:57 PM

Round and round and round

Just to add to things here as I was thinking of getting insurance with L&V (if I ever find the right Scoob :D). Went to the L&V website to their 'Quote and buy online' bit and got this come up on the first screen;

https://www.lvgirqp.co.uk/lv_gihm/im...v_whitebgd.gif

https://www.lvgirqp.co.uk/lv_gihm/images/spacer.gifMotor Insurance - Quote & Buy Online We cannot insure:
  • Motor cycles, vans, pick ups, minibuses.
  • Cars which have not been manufactured for the UK market e.g. Japanese imports.
  • Cars which have performance enhancing modifications.
  • Cars which are used abroad for more than 180 consecutive days.
  • Cars which are in excess of £100,000 in value.
  • Cars that are registered and normally kept outside of mainland United Kingdom,
    the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.
  • Drivers outside the age range of 17 and 79.
  • You, if you live in Northern Ireland.
  • Non mainland UK residents.

Now that's a bit off putting don't you think??

</FONT>

vulnax999 13 October 2004 08:09 PM

When I first got the scoob, ( had a 200sx at the time ) my best quote was from L&V, although that was before I thought of mods. When I took them up on the telephone quote the different sales person said that as I was not an existing customer they could not offer me a policy on my import WRX wagon.

Bit off putting at the time, the policy I got elsewhere was much more restrictive and the people there did NOT understand cars or mods ..so many calls back and fro just for a quick shift gear lever and original scoobysport back box!

I tried L&V again last year as I had found scoobynet and the modding bug was back, and when I asked them if they take new business on import impreza turbos I as told Yes, no problem.
After name, address, scooby type ( WRX, STi, P1 or22b IIRC ) I was given a price. No need for occupation, mileage, garaged or not overnight, etc and when I specifically asked about mods, they said as usual, as long as the capacity does not change all mods are ok, just photo them and keep the receipts ( so they can pay out the MOD PRICE/FIT MODDED BITS in event of a claim as long as you can prove you really had them!! ).

On that basis I sorted quite a few brake / suspension / engine / wheel / exhaust / ECU / turbo etc. mods ...

So I will be interested to see what happens on my renewal due in about 5 weeks!

Seems like as said above, they carry a certain level of risk, and when that is full they refuse the business, i.e. when the allotment of fast imports is full they refuse new policies until that number falls again into their acceptable range.

All companies do it; Direct line cover family cars and families, don't like young drivers and/or hot hatches / fast cars / imports, yet their sister company Privelege coveryound drivers, sporty cars etc ....!

{Wonder when the age discrimination laws come in, how will the insurance companies justify increased premiums for early 20's driver and late 20's driver - if both mature/sensible and experienced if same period with licence/ miles covered etc ... and could they still penalise the younger single males / people and discount the older people / families ... ? Just a thought ! }

Tentenths 14 October 2004 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by bgood
Just to add to things here as I was thinking of getting insurance with L&V (if I ever find the right Scoob :D). Went to the L&V website to their 'Quote and buy online' bit and got this come up on the first screen;

https://www.lvgirqp.co.uk/lv_gihm/im...v_whitebgd.gif

https://www.lvgirqp.co.uk/lv_gihm/images/spacer.gifMotor Insurance - Quote & Buy Online We cannot insure:
  • Motor cycles, vans, pick ups, minibuses.
  • Cars which have not been manufactured for the UK market e.g. Japanese imports.
  • Cars which have performance enhancing modifications.
  • Cars which are used abroad for more than 180 consecutive days.
  • Cars which are in excess of £100,000 in value.
  • Cars that are registered and normally kept outside of mainland United Kingdom,
    the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.
  • Drivers outside the age range of 17 and 79.
  • You, if you live in Northern Ireland.
  • Non mainland UK residents.

Now that's a bit off putting don't you think??

</FONT>

On the face of it yes. But from my own research (and others') into this particular point it would seem that these parameters apply to LV's online quote facility. Like many other insurers, LV only provide online quotes for standard/relatively straightforward risks... but will quote for the more unusual over the phone.

Aztec Performance Ltd 14 October 2004 05:47 PM

If LV really are mod friendly (and the underwriters) then why do they not list mods on policey schedule? My last insurer did (Tesco).

Bob