ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Star Wars Trilogy DVD set (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/363179-star-wars-trilogy-dvd-set.html)

prodriva 20 September 2004 02:24 PM

I will definately be getting the DVD Box Set of episodes 4, 5 and 6. I have the VHS Digitally remastered versions but DVD format is soooo much nicer to watch especially on the cinema system. Does the new box set support DTS??? I really do prefer this over Dolby's various versions.

ScoobyJawa 20 September 2004 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by prodriva
I will definately be getting the DVD Box Set of episodes 4, 5 and 6. I have the VHS Digitally remastered versions but DVD format is soooo much nicer to watch especially on the cinema system. Does the new box set support DTS??? I really do prefer this over Dolby's various versions.

Its Digital 5.1 EX.

Graz 20 September 2004 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nimbus
You are correct. You won't see the original versions on DVD.

I have ;)

(Okay technically they were laser disc rips, but good quality all the same)

Nimbus 20 September 2004 03:33 PM

:p

Geddon 20 September 2004 04:33 PM

B@stards making me spend more money:)
Just ordered mine:D

16vmarc 20 September 2004 04:43 PM

I now have the 1997 Special Edition vhs box set and the new dvd box set. I also have the Phantom Menace on both vhs and dvd lol. And of course Attack Of The Clones.
:rolleyes:

Sith 20 September 2004 04:50 PM

Lost count of the amount of versions I have.

Nimbus 20 September 2004 05:01 PM

Now you know why Lucas can afford to be at the cutting edge of cinematic technical development... ;)

logiclee 20 September 2004 06:49 PM

I have the original box set on VHS and the Special Edition VHS box set.
I also have the special edition on PAL Laser Disc and the same again on NTSC Jap Laser Disc to get 5.1

I'm still waiting for my DVD boxset from Play. I hope the anamophoric picture and the EX sound track is worth it over the laser disc. :)

Mr Lucas certainly knows how to get your money. :D

Lee

RAJ27 20 September 2004 07:15 PM

Ok so a lot of you will be getting Episode's 4,5 & 6. But will you bother getting Episode's 1,2 & 3?

Also is it true, that Mr. Lucas has Episode's 7,8 & 9 on the drawing board?

Dracoro 20 September 2004 07:18 PM

But you've all seen the film before and know how it ends :p :D :D

cheddar bob 20 September 2004 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Perriam
pre-ordered from play but not arrived and still showing as processing !

anyone who ordered from play had them this morning in the post ????

Just had an e-mail to confirm it's been posted, "please allow 3-5 days for delivery" :eek2:

There goes my plans for Tuesday, Wednesday and maybes Thursday....

I'm sure Play is usually faster, had it pre-ordered for months :confused:

.....Along with SW: Battlefront (now methinks George might consider numbers 7, 8 & 9 :rolleyes: )

BigRed 20 September 2004 08:03 PM

I've got all three on 'special edition remastered' VHS:lol1:a few years ago. Just got my DVD editon(from Amazon), the DVD's are fantastic picture and sound quality are excellent,100 times better than the VHS ones.

I was raised on the star wars films and have been a fan eversince, don't rate the new episodes as much as the original ones though.

Steve Perriam 20 September 2004 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by cheddar bob
Just had an e-mail to confirm it's been posted, "please allow 3-5 days for delivery" :eek2:

There goes my plans for Tuesday, Wednesday and maybes Thursday....

I'm sure Play is usually faster, had it pre-ordered for months :confused:

.....Along with SW: Battlefront (now methinks George might consider numbers 7, 8 & 9 :rolleyes: )

i gave them a call earlier on to be told it had already been posted to me but their system was basically not coping with the amount of pre-orders and therefore that was why i had not (and still have not) recieved e-mail confirmation that my order has been sent.....

even though now my order history has finally been updated to show it was posted yesterday.....so hopefully will arrive tomorrow if i'm lucky.

Sith 20 September 2004 10:48 PM

Picture quality is superb. Like it was filmed yesterday.

7, 8, 9. Lucas has said he will not and has no time to do them. However, Timothy Zahn who wrote the books could quite easily create a script with a script writer and find a director. Lucas has been on record saying he is happy for the Zahn books to be the sequals.

ScoobyJawa 20 September 2004 11:50 PM

Watched 1.5 hours of the documentary which was really interesting, gonna finish it tomorrow as I wanted to watch A New Hope.

Picture quality is spot on, soundtrack ace, can't beat the Star Wars score with the London Philharmonic playing :D And everytime I watch it I love it more - utterly superb, most definately my favourite films ever, can never get enough, I've spent my life with them since they came out when I was 2! ;)

Damn work, wanna watch 5 and 6 now instead of work tomorrow :(

PiNkEyE69 21 September 2004 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sith
Picture quality is superb. Like it was filmed yesterday.

Aye, there are some bits in the films that if you didn't know are nearly 30 years you would think it was recent.
They have cleaned up the picture quality really well, the pixel-sharp image quality of dvd does it justice.
Last night consisted of
get home from work
play battlefront demo
Watch Episode1
play battlefront demo
Watch episode 2
play battlefront demo
sleep
wake up this morning
play battlefront demo
work

3 guesses what I'm doing when I get home?
http://www.roguegunners.co.uk/e107_f...Misc/darth.jpg
http://www.roguegunners.co.uk/e107_f...rmtroopers.jpg

16vmarc 21 September 2004 12:06 PM

George Lucas always said he planned on doing 9 films in total, just he hasnt writtain them yet lol. I cant see them ever being made personally.

As for the dvd of ROTJ, i was under the impression from reading Total Film i think it was that they had replaced Sebastian Shaws face with Hayden Christiansons. Well its still Sebastian Shaws.

Steve vRS 21 September 2004 12:20 PM

Lucas should allow 7,8 and 9 to be made from the Zhan books. They were excellent, much better than all the other spin off titles.

Steve

16vmarc 21 September 2004 01:35 PM

<GEEK MODE ON>

Ok just watched to the end, they have changed to Hayden Chrsitianson for the tree village sequence!!!

<GEEK MODE OFF>

IWatkins 21 September 2004 03:51 PM

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Clever.

cheddar bob 21 September 2004 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Perriam
i gave them a call earlier on to be told it had already been posted to me but their system was basically not coping with the amount of pre-orders and therefore that was why i had not (and still have not) recieved e-mail confirmation that my order has been sent.....

even though now my order history has finally been updated to show it was posted yesterday.....so hopefully will arrive tomorrow if i'm lucky.

Mine arrived this morning :thumb: (nearly missed the postman ringing the doorbell :sleep: ) so I can watch it tonight :D