ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   which engine oils in your scooby? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/358933-which-engine-oils-in-your-scooby.html)

oilman 09 September 2004 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by D1CCY
Interesting that the Motul datasheets show that SWRT use 5W-40 rather than 15W-50. Also has STI using 10W-40 and Prodrive 15W-50 so even the top dogs differ.

Get your crosses and garlic out, I currently use Mobil 1 0W-40 in my STi8 PPP, 18000 miles with no prob, it goes better on "thin" oil (and I do rag it). Might try Motul 5W-40 at my next change, it's cheaper in the Hull Larkspeed shop than Mobil is in H/fords. I'm inclined to think cold circulation and low drag is very important hence my favour of 0W or 5W oils despite some strong opposing opinions on here. Maybe time will tell, as I'll continue with thin.

Maclaren F1 team use Mobil 1 0W-30 (admittedly with an altered additive package) so the stuff can't be that bad. I don't imagine they find much wear after 200 miles they just have to rebuild because major components have reached the end of their fatigue life.

Cheers, Diccy.

:idea: Consider Silkolene PRO S 5w-40

Cheers
Simon

D1CCY 10 September 2004 08:07 AM

Simon,

Are you saying you would prefer PRO S to Motul. It would be easier for me to get hold of Motul if there's nothing in it.

Thanks for suggestion,
Diccy.

oilman 10 September 2004 09:05 AM

Yes, definately.

It's easier to get Silkolene, delivered to your door, just email me.

Cheers
Simon

richieh 10 September 2004 09:18 AM

using mobil1 15 50 in my leggy turbo at the mo. tappets sound like a bag of spanners
still goes well tho' its got 150k miles on it- what would be the best to use next time
dont mind changing the oil every 2k if theres a better alternative that doesnt last as long
richie

STE.W. 10 September 2004 12:49 PM

RichieH, I used to use Mobil M-sport 15/50 in my Legg and had the same TDI tappet noisesn as you.

I have tried lots of diffent makes and at the moment Castrol RS 10/60 seems to be the most loved by my car.

I tried Motul 15/50 and the tappets came back for a while then gradually went quieter till change time (2.5k - 3k). I was advised to use a litre of dextron II power steering fluid for a couple of hundred miles in the oil before changing. just remove a litre of oil and add a litre of p/s fluid. This was by David at API Engines and this worked quite well for reducing the tappet noise too.

The last time I did an oil change I bought two genuine filters, 5 litres of RS and 5 litres of Shell Helix Plus Semi Syth "Diesel" oil. I ran the car farely gently for around 500 miles then dropped the oil and changed to new filter and RS oil. The Helix oil was well black and RS oil change, so far seems to be nice and quiet.

Just my two pennies worth but Leggy T's will always suffer compard to Imprezas due to the tappet designs.

Good Luck Mate.

Ste

P.S.

IF oilman or any one else thinks the above is well dodgy, then please advise to prevent others from sustaining engine dammage etc.

STE.W. 10 September 2004 01:12 PM

Just gone onto LibertyRS forum for Leggy info and by pure chance this was on there:

http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/...pic.php?t=9283

Whatta you think????

Ste.

oilman 10 September 2004 01:17 PM

I don't have a problem with what's being said as a thicker oil normally quietens things down a bit.

But, using non-synthetic oils in the true sense of the word can lead to wear/deposits /laquer, especially if it is a hot-running engine.

Personally I woud try a true synthetic 10w-50 like PRO S and see if it improves, I wouldn't mind betting the cost of 5 litres that it does and you notice the improvement.

Cheers
Simon

Comper100 10 September 2004 08:18 PM

Interesting stuff about the legacy's, mine sounds horrible on Motul 15w-50. I might change back to something different so, even though i spent 50 boys on the stuff!

Mine is quiet cold the gets noisey when it warms up, maybe the oil pump is on its way out?

Cheers
Comper100

stockcar 10 September 2004 09:06 PM

must be a wear issue then....................leggy turbo on 120K and always run Motul 15w50 300V.............sweet as.............

alyn - asperformance.com

richieh 10 September 2004 09:19 PM

thing is the engine was pretty quiet untill it was changed onto the mobil
what gets me most is itll be noisey for a while then super quiet then noisey
its improving tho 150 miles since change
richie

Comper100 10 September 2004 09:36 PM

My engine has only done 50K though, so perhaps its too thick?

Comper100

craigdmcd 10 September 2004 10:04 PM

So Mr Oilman, just as a question, Silkolene goes out of business and all the supplys have dried up, what are your top three choices to put in a 1: 1994 125K Legacy, 2: 1998 70K Impreza Turbo, 3: 2004 10K WRX or STi. Just Looking for some sound advice.

Craig:ponder2:

STE.W.(atome) 11 September 2004 12:40 PM

I think it was Paul (Pavlo) who said something a while back on this issue with Leggy T's along the lines of:-

Its not so much the type of oil but the frequency of the oil changes. I found that out for myself whne trying different oils.

I think its blockages within the tappet design that are the issue that need tackleing.

Thats why API advise P/S fluid for a cleaner while the old oil is still in the car.

I think the detergemnts in the diesel oil have deffo cleaned out the sludge on mine but it'll only take another bit of crud to be dislodged and tat tap tap, one of the buggas will be shouting out again :rolleyes:

I suppose it will come down to previous owner care and the quality of oils used in the past.

I'm hoping that mine will be good for a while as I'm using good grade oils and chainging them as early as common sense will allow. People think I'm nuts changin 50 squids worth of oil and every 2.5k :eek: But I spose you lot are in the same boat :D

I may try the 10/50 instead of 15 just to see if there is anything to report.

Thanks again

STE

richieh 11 September 2004 12:47 PM

change my oil and filter every 3k
i suppose its possible the detergent in the mobil have loosened crap up which is slowly dissolving or being filtered hence getting quieter?
will give it another 200 miles or so and report back
richie

oilman 13 September 2004 09:04 AM

It's probably more of a question of viscosity not brand.

If the oil is a true synthetic then it will be good for the car, the correct viscosity is important as I've pointed out many times before.

15w-50 is too heavy for a winter grade, look at 10w or 5w.

Cheers
Simon

oilman 13 September 2004 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by craigdmcd
So Mr Oilman, just as a question, Silkolene goes out of business and all the supplys have dried up, what are your top three choices to put in a 1: 1994 125K Legacy, 2: 1998 70K Impreza Turbo, 3: 2004 10K WRX or STi. Just Looking for some sound advice.

Craig:ponder2:

Mobil, Castrol, Fuchs.

Silkolene is owned by the largest Independent Oil company in the world with sales of more than 1,000,000,000 euros so it's pretty unlikely.

Cheers
Simon

Dazza's-STi 13 September 2004 09:17 AM

Silkolene Pro S 10W50.

According to much debate the best oil you can get...

running in my MY03 STi PPP

Changed every 5k so mr oilman i'll be requesting some soon...

Dazza

oilman 13 September 2004 09:59 AM

Dazza.

Correct, but you can also use PRO S 5w-40 which I would suggest is better for cold start protection.

Cheers
Simon

Tech Data: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/lubricants.htm

CataIunya 13 September 2004 10:20 AM

What about the 15w50 ? is that recomended for scoobs ? or too thick ?

oilman 13 September 2004 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by CataIunya
What about the 15w50 ? is that recomended for scoobs ? or too thick ?

15w is a bit thick for winter use, 10w or 5w is better for this.

Cheers
Simon

Moray 13 September 2004 10:01 PM

10w-50 low enough I would say unless you live in Norway. By the way the Oilman is the man to use for oil. I ordered my Pro S 10w-50 afternoon and it was here in Scotland next morning. Thats service for you. Oh yes and it gets colder up here and I am using 10w-50. I wont be driving my car if temp drops below ...

The "W" or "Winter designation indicates that the oil meets viscosity requirements for low temperatures (below 30°F).

10w is down to -20 I think so I wont be going out if below that !!!

oilman 14 September 2004 09:46 AM

Moray,

Thanks for the compliment.

By the way it's -35 degC for 0w and -30 degC for 5w.

Cheers
Simon

IPALMER 14 September 2004 11:46 AM

Simon ,

Which oil do you reccomend for a 340bhp '99 Sti5 ?

I change it every 3,000 , and have always used 15/50 Mobil 1 Motorsport.

I do about 4 track days a year and the oils been getting really hot - about 120 c - is that right ?

pm me the prices on the oils you can supply , and i might get a couple of the other Hants lot to order as well :)

cheers Iain :)

cong 14 September 2004 01:02 PM

theres a group buy! see this thread http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=357989

oilman 15 September 2004 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by IPALMER
Simon ,

Which oil do you reccomend for a 340bhp '99 Sti5 ?

I change it every 3,000 , and have always used 15/50 Mobil 1 Motorsport.

I do about 4 track days a year and the oils been getting really hot - about 120 c - is that right ?

pm me the prices on the oils you can supply , and i might get a couple of the other Hants lot to order as well :)

cheers Iain :)

Iain,

Email me for a price list.

Cheers
Simon