ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Poll: Public transport - how long does it take you? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/353715-poll-public-transport-how-long-does-it-take-you.html)

Jye 17 August 2004 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
i do as well but i was trying to go along with the hypothetical situation.

you're just copping out cos you don't want to have to try and balance 4 bottles of rioja on the back of your bmx, on the way home of an evening.

:)

And me ever riding a bmx is deffo a hypothetical situation m8 ;)

lightning101 17 August 2004 04:18 PM

how the fcuk do you do a 2 week shop at sainsbury's etc on a bike ?

Often wonder how some of those MGB (Moses Getaway Boots) wearing types with no car manage it.

Is it 4 bags of shopping each ?

Normally shopping equates to about 20 bags some heavy e.g. tins, 3 litre bottles etc.

Plus where do you put your laptop, lunch, briefcase etc on a modern pushbike.

Fosters 17 August 2004 04:21 PM

My commute into town is 2.5 hours each way. 5.30am train in the morning and i tend to get home at 10.30+ in the evening. i need to catch up on sleep on the train, so cars don't come into it.

imlach 17 August 2004 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by lightning101
how the fcuk do you do a 2 week shop at sainsbury's etc on a bike ?

You can't. You use a car, or you get it delivered. Or you go shopping more often. No-one here said you couldn't use a car.

Plus where do you put your laptop, lunch, briefcase etc on a modern pushbike.
Panniers. You can even get a pannier that is a hard cased briefcase with a handle....carries my lunch and work stuff fine.

messiah 17 August 2004 04:25 PM

Often used to take train to work in previous job but mainly to save fuel costs and when you hit the city centre it took just as long to do the last 2 miles as it did to do the previous 25. Train was very unreliable though and the station master was a tw@t and didn't bother to tell anyone if train was late or not coming at all.

Use car now for new job - takes 5 mins - no train option but local bus services goes round all the villages and takes 45 mins - plus there's no guarantee that it'll even turn up as my stop is out of the way and unless someone already on the bus wants to go there, it wont arrive!

Jerome 17 August 2004 04:44 PM

When still living in London, it took me 45 minutes to get from Pimilico to work, north of Liverpool St, door to door. Any delays on the Circle line and it would take longer. I often waited 20 minutes at St James tube station for a circle line train. :mad:

If I drove the Scoob, it took me 25 minutes - in the rush hour.

The reason I didn't drive is it would cost 15 quid a day to park near work, as opposed to 65 quid a month tube season ticket.

By bus, it would have taken much much longer and they are an even more disgusting way to travel than the tube.

Previously I worked at St Katherine's dock, and it took me 25 mins door to desk by tube. The car wouldn't have been an option because the Embankment is a nightmare in the rushhour. Just having to go an extra 2 stops when I changed jobs cost at least an extra 20 minutes because the Circle Line is utter ****e. I would often watch 10 District Line trains go by before a Circle line arived.

Going even further back, when I lived in Farnborough (Hants), it took 1 hour 30 minutes (best case) to get to work. If I'd taken the car, it would have taken several hours I imagine and cost a fortune to park. Because South W@nk Trains were so bad, my journey time was usually closer to 2 hours.

Probably academic, but here in Toronto, it takes me 8 minutes to walk to work. I can be Downtown (the Financial District) in about 20 minutes.

OllyK 17 August 2004 05:08 PM

Just for the record.

I currently leave home in the morning at 7.20am, drive 25 miles and arrive at 8.00am, so 40 mins travel.

By public transport to get to work at the same time (doubtful if I would anyway), need to catch the 7.02 train from Lougborough, which means a 30 min walk or 2 bus trips, so say leave home at 6.30am to be sure. Train gets in at 07.29 and then I need to catch 2 or 3 busses to get to work followed by a 15 minute walk. so I'd get in about 8.15 ish (1/4 hour late) and it's taken 1 3/4 hours, 4 plus busses and a train ride (assuming I can get all the connections spot on).

When I used to work in Cambridge, there was just no way to be there for 6.30am by public transport when leaving from Loughborough.