ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Upgrading PSU... (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/347077-upgrading-psu.html)

flat4 27 July 2004 10:09 AM

got my 9800 pro on saturday B2Z, got it nicely overclocked already :D my 550w PSU is holding up so far

if you're feeling brave a HDD format is the best way to go ;)

Bravo2zero_sps 27 July 2004 10:44 AM

:D never over clocked anything in my life :o What does it involve and does it make much difference to the 9800 and if so what?

Not going to rebuild, well not if I can help it anyway, would take me days to get it back to how it is now :o

flat4 27 July 2004 11:36 AM

Rivatuner, it's a piece of cake and use 3DMark03 to test your new setting (IE no artifacts etc.) you can normally get the next card up's performance by overclocking a bit

mines running 415MHz core clock up from 380MHz and there's more to go (just burning it in ;))

Bravo2zero_sps 27 July 2004 11:46 AM

Nice :cool:

Bloody postie still hasn't brought the psu and going out soon so will have to wait till tomorrow now :rolleyes:

cheddar bob 27 July 2004 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by **************
They bloody shouldn't do with a 500 watt psu :eek: :D How much was the connect3d one?

Also will have to mess about with cleaning the drivers off my machine as moving from Nvidia to Ati could be problematic from somne of the comments I have read from people.

Connect3D one is £15 more but as mentioned was retail box.

I was going to follow these intrucions when changing:

If it has WinXP installed as the OS, then you're really in luck. Just uninstall the nVidia board within Device Manager and don't reboot when it prompts you to. Turn the system off and install the ATi board. When it boots up it will detect the new board and you can escape out of the driver prompt window. Run the executable driver files from ATi and you're finished. I have yet to have a problem under WinXP with differing video boards when following these steps.
You can also download utilities that scan for any nVidia registry entries/drivers/files etc. from here - http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=5

I won't be doing any overclocking though as I don't know enough ;)

_Meridian_ 27 July 2004 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by flat4
Rivatuner, it's a piece of cake and use 3DMark03 to test your new setting (IE no artifacts etc.) you can normally get the next card up's performance by overclocking a bit

mines running 415MHz core clock up from 380MHz and there's more to go (just burning it in ;))

444/348 here. Make sure you use the 4.7 cats as 4.3-4.6 inclusive all run very hot, which limits the o/c. I've not actually tried properly with these cats yet, but 440/344 was about the limit with 4.6 .

BTW, even if 3Dmark2003 shows no artifacts, check with a few game: Morrowind in particular will stress any rig.

M

Bravo2zero_sps 27 July 2004 10:07 PM

All done :D Just uninstalled Nvidia stuff, rebooted to make it was all off. Then shut down, installed card, booted up, downloaded drivers installed them and all fine so far ;) No need for power off to avoid reboot etc (he says tempting sods law and a bsod :D )

R1916v 27 July 2004 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by QuattroMNC
You need a minimum of 300Watts but a 400 would suit it better and give you some room to play with in the future.

P.S. I Manage a computer shop in Bangor N.Wales, I really do know what I'm talking about

Then you would know it's te quality of the PSU that matters, not he quantity :)

For example, a 250W Shuttle PSU will quite happily run a 9800 pro in it's sleep, it'll also cope fine with the latest batch of cards.

Mine runs with a 980 pro, 2 hdds and a cdr/dvd writer plus usb devices, perfectly fine.

Saying that as you have a desktop machine I would agree and say you'd need a minimum 300W off the shelf psu (shuttle ones are v good quality, more so than some off the shelf brands)

Bravo2zero_sps 28 July 2004 12:23 AM

All I can say is :eek2: to Far Cry :D Running an absolute dream :)

cheddar bob 28 July 2004 05:18 PM

B2Z - Are you just using the stock cooler and which drivers have you used (I've just ordered the same card :D so will download the drivers in advance)

Bravo2zero_sps 28 July 2004 05:41 PM

Yeah just the stock cooler mate, processor zone is running at 50c and the system zone 1 is running at 42c according to the pc's/motherboards monitors. Plus both fans are spinning at less than 50% of their maximum rpm :)

As for the drivers I just downloaded the ones off the Ati site (28mb)

I ordered my card late Thursday night and got the card Monday morning so excellent service and free as well :)

I was using a 5600 before, Delta Force Joint Operations isn't much different to be honest but Far Cry is massively different. I haven't tried any other games yet, will probably give NFSU and Unreal Tournament a go to see how they look :)