ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Member's Gallery (https://www.scoobynet.com/members-gallery-5/)
-   -   Japfest 2004 Track Day (Ouch) (https://www.scoobynet.com/members-gallery-5/329893-japfest-2004-track-day-ouch.html)

Floyd 22 May 2004 09:52 PM

Type R, looks like oversteer, which was corrected but then not straighted quick enough. He was to fast into the bend to lift off the brake, should have kept on the brake until the apex or enough speed had been washed away. Tony lifted too early and caused the back end to go light. Most Scooby owners get away with it because the Scoobs are forgiving in standard form (but not full proof) and are more sensertive when tweeked.

F

bzz 22 May 2004 10:13 PM

OK guys (and gals!), here's the good news...... After 1 1/2 hours of wrangling with an outdated camcorder, we've been able to produce a MUCH better quality video clip of the crash today. Here's the new link, but it's now 4.8 MB:

http://www.bzz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/scoobycrash2004.wmv

Right click and save target as... Should work ok, but let us know if not.

Johnny sti 22 May 2004 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Floyd
Type R, looks like oversteer, which was corrected but then not straighted quick enough. He was to fast into the bend to lift off the brake, should have kept on the brake until the apex or enough speed had been washed away. Tony lifted too early and caused the back end to go light. Most Scooby owners get away with it because the Scoobs are forgiving in standard form (but not full proof) and are more sensertive when tweeked.

F

Very lucky to get it side ways into the wall. It was at one point going nose in, could have been much worse.
Glad to hear both are fine :)

Johnny

bzz 22 May 2004 10:21 PM

In all the struggle to get the vid off the camera, forgot to say:

Major commiserations to the owner. Shame to see a lovely car looking like this. Glad to see driver and passenger ok, and glad to hear your're insured for track day!

BTW this is Maddriver posting from bzz's machine - will e-mail you as promised when I get home.

Danbo 22 May 2004 10:26 PM

There was a slight flick to the left before turning hard right into the turn in order to induce the oversteer. We were directly in front of the car as it approached the turn.
Just overcooked it unfortunately otherwise would have been cool.

rb5 286 22 May 2004 10:30 PM

was heart breaking to see the car in such a state today, good to hear all involved are ok.

just watched the vid, u nearly had it back under control, nasty snap-back :(

good luck with insurance co mate

thecirsch 22 May 2004 11:56 PM

Quote of the day from Tony "At least I didn't flip it like the last time it happened to my car when my friend borrowed it" :eek: :eek:

Glad you found a silver lining!! :)

Hope you sort it out soon

NM 23 May 2004 02:24 AM

Tony, lost your way again !!!! all you had to do was follow the track ;)

Note to self, never follow Tony ever again.

Only kidding mate, glad to hear all concerned were not seriously hurt. Hope you get her back on the road soon.

Cheers

Neal :D

Scoob99 23 May 2004 09:42 AM

Tony, just seen this mate, been on holiday, so sorry for you mate, caught you well unaware that one, but at least you had the balls to say it was your mistake and not blame tyres etc, hope you get her sorted soon.
Cheers
Colin

ADP 23 May 2004 09:58 AM

last year it was an evo, this year its a scoobys go ;)

As long as you are ok and have come away slightly wiser that is ok, cars can be fixed, even if in turn your wallet gets dented..............you will tell the story in years to come and laugh...........beleive me,I have been here b4.

greg.g 23 May 2004 11:06 AM

Bl00dy hell Tony:eek:
Just seen that video clip!!!! You worked really hard at getting it straight and were almost there at one point. Well done for managing to keep it to a side impact though.
Just to let you know that your passenger is fine, if a little shaken.
For anyone that doesnt know her, she is my other half... Alison.

I have a whole new respect for her now, having seen that clip:eek:
And she still loves scoobies:D

So i have finally got her to register for scoobynet.
So introducing the crash test dummy..... Alison:D

scooby_si 23 May 2004 11:07 AM

Ouch sorry to hear/see that Tony can sympathise with the fishtailing/brown never-regions moment :eek:
Si

Missy Ali. G 23 May 2004 11:20 AM

Hi, everyone. I was the passenger in Tonys car.
I've just seen the video clip of the crash:eek:
It looked very different from the inside!
Just to let people know that i'm fine, just a bit shaken up.
I hope Tony's fine. It's not put me off scoobies, I still love them:D

Alison

johnfelstead 23 May 2004 11:49 AM

Bad luck Tony, glad it's just metal thats looking worse for wear though, you almost caught it well there.

That happened because you kept oposite lock on for too long, so as the front grip started to increase once the tail stopped rotating the fronts grabbed and steered you hard left. If it happens again :o as soon as the chassis is stable wind the lock off and steer straight ahead, you will come out of the corner in a nice 4 wheel drift then.

Good luck getting it repaired quickly.

scrappydoo 23 May 2004 11:57 AM

Hi guys, i was there and saw the end results of the car. Truely gutted for you mate. Bit of bad luck there as you almost had it and it would of looked amazing if you had pulled it off but glad you are all ok. Thats the main eh? As has already been said it looks as though u were too slow to catch the flick back. Dont worry mate we've all been there you just need to keep the power on and dont make too many drastic steering inputs (point the wheel where you want to go)

Hope you get it fixed with minimal effort and money,

All the best mate.

PS Saw the skyline go off in the same corner and the crowds little comments and cheering sickened me. Never ceases to amaze me. I bet they wouldnt like it if it happened to them.

scrappydoo 23 May 2004 11:58 AM

beat me to it john :D

SiDHEaD 23 May 2004 01:13 PM

The skyline was totalled :(

T5NYW 23 May 2004 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by johnfelstead
Bad luck Tony, glad it's just metal thats looking worse for wear though, you almost caught it well there.

That happened because you kept oposite lock on for too long, so as the front grip started to increase once the tail stopped rotating the fronts grabbed and steered you hard left. If it happens again :o as soon as the chassis is stable wind the lock off and steer straight ahead, you will come out of the corner in a nice 4 wheel drift then.

Good luck getting it repaired quickly.

Thanks John and all the others ;) I totally agree with you all i just didn't get the opposite lock off quick enough. The first Mistake was entry speed to high and missed the Apex, Understeer and tyre wall looming tried to get some oversteer, more than I bargained for ;)

I was going to use the "rabbit jumped out in front on me..." but the video proved there wasn't one ;)

Tony

T5NYW 23 May 2004 01:28 PM

Please the post above is not meant to be critical to ANY comments on the causes, I accept and respect peeps opinions :D:D:D

Tony

Phil 23 May 2004 01:40 PM

Hve to say the cheers on the Video were a bit sickening

But as I said on the day glad you and Missy G are ok

Amazzed how calm you were

T5NYW 23 May 2004 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
Hve to say the cheers on the Video were a bit sickening

But as I said on the day glad you and Missy G are ok

Amazzed how calm you were

Phil,
It's life peeps do ;) I was calm because I was trying to learn the cars handling, in a safe controlled enviroment ;) on a circuit ;)

My misjudgement cost is only financial. If this were on a Highway it could have been Fatal to myself or other road users.

Tony

It's only a lump of Metal afterall

MikeTheStrike 23 May 2004 02:04 PM

Hey Tony,

We saw it and we were all gutted for you. The worst part was we all thought you had caught it, but when it wagged off left.... we knew it would be bad. The video shows though that you did bloody well to slew the car sideways in the last moments and stop it spearing in. I would have been screaming like a girl with my hands over my eyes!

I admire you for taking your car back to the stand, I would have just driven off.

Glad your both Ok, hope your not too stiff and the car is fixed soon.

Mike

talizman 23 May 2004 02:51 PM

I was trying to learn the cars handling, in a safe controlled enviroment on a circuit

My misjudgement cost is only financial. If this were on a Highway it could have been Fatal to myself or other road users.
Good attitude mate.... we live and learn ;)

T5NYW 23 May 2004 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by MikeTheStrike
Hey Tony,

I admire you for taking your car back to the stand, I would have just driven off.
Glad your both Ok, hope your not too stiff and the car is fixed soon.

Mike

SIDC enclosure was always full :cool: wish I had a £1 for every photo taken of my car :D Hopefully back on the road soon and both of us have slight aches and pains ;)

yes thought I'd saved it too :rolleyes: but opposite lock on way to long :( wheels should have been straight ahead and we would be talking of a very near miss ;) My in-experience of 'Oversteer' was to blame.

Tony

DocJock 23 May 2004 03:09 PM

What kind of nobbers cheer and clap when someone has a crash.

Fvckwits :mad:

Tony, glad you are OK and hope the car gets sorted.

Granby 23 May 2004 03:12 PM

Hi T5NYW, hope you didn't mind me posting that pic of your car, wasn't trying to gloat over your misfortune or anything as i was just trying to show that sh*t happens, glad you and your passenger are OK and hope the car gets better soon.

RB5SCOTT 23 May 2004 03:20 PM

I know your cars a bit dented but at least you did it with a 10/10 effort instead of a piddly little understeer slide into the wall :)

Hope you get it sorted!

Easier said than done when trying to unwind steering lock! thats when you need a quick rack, Note to self to get one! ;)

Scott

WRXPete 23 May 2004 03:20 PM

Great day otherwise

Still, everyone is fine, your passenger still loves Scoobies and you became a minor, if reluctant, celebrity. And it's THE talking point and stick in the mind memory of a great day...it was great watching you and some of the others really on the edge....anyone else notice that a lot of people really weren't going for it as much as the Scooby drivers. Well done all you guys for a great spectacle about 2pm, i think it was the group Q lot, when the black "Patrol" scooby was out on track....great entertainment, i'll definitley be back next year.
As a newbie my car is virtually standard(MY03 WRX), i like to think of it as a work in progress!!! And as i need my car for work, couldn't afford to crash it!!!! Hope you get yours up and running (and sideways!!) again real soon!!
WRXPete

bzz 23 May 2004 03:27 PM

Glad to see you see you looking at the experience objectively m8, as you say, at least it wasn't on the road!! You'll get her fixed and be back next year. Nice to see the whole thing had a positive effect on your passenger - signing up for s/n and still luvvin scoobies. Good on you Alison!! Looks like the video link is working ok - just like to say MadDriver (Keith) was a big help in doing the vid. Didn't realize a skyline went off too! Don't suppose anyone taped that one? Missed it. Hope they were ok too. At least you weren't the only one Tony! ;)

WRXPete 23 May 2004 03:31 PM

Just seen it....who's was the comment about just needing a bit of T-cut!! Very droll!! If that's all it needed, i'm sure we'd all donate a bottle....ouch!!