ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Half of Brits want to quit the UK (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/323124-half-of-brits-want-to-quit-the-uk.html)

RRB 28 April 2004 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by lightning101
RRB - even Aberdeen (surrounding areas, like COVE, Balmedie etc) is not that much dearer to live than Dundee/Fife. City Centre is extortionate but like that anywhere.

Dont take this the wrong way but Aberdeen is a place ive never been interested in visiting never mind staying there. I dont know why, it just doesnt appeal to me. I think if im going to move a decent distance away from my home town it may as well be abroad for a fresh start.

Markus 28 April 2004 03:02 PM

Moving to another country isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Let's take Canada for example. CAD$ is roughly x2 to the pound, so in theory cost of living is cheaper, and in some respects it is, but in others it is not. Semi-nice weather during the summer, but very cold in the winter. Great people, great places, well if you're not in Quebec ;) So, you think to yourself, I'll go to Canada.

Well, take off the rose tinted glasses for a moment there and think very very seriously about what you are doing. Do NOT rush into anything, this will be one of the biggest changes you're likley to make in your life.

What to do then? First thing would be to talk to others who have done the same thing, you want to hear the good *and* the bad, and there WILL be some bad things, however, what is bad to one person might not bother you, then again...

Once you have talked to people who have done this, stop and think again, if you're still serious, then I'd recommend a long holiday to the country, something like 4 weeks, or longer if you can. This will allow you to see behind the touristy side of the country and see how things work. Speak to people when you're out there, and if possible, meet with some of the people you chatted to who have moved out there.

So, you have done the holiday thing and you like the place, and you are still serious about doing it, you know some/all of the pro's/con's and you still want to make a go of it, now comes the 'fun' part, the job!

Have a peek on something like monster.ca and see what jobs in your field exist in the city you want to live in, this will give you an idea if you can get a job, however, don't bother applying for anything yet, you want to have chat with immigration, and see what they have to say about things. Now, I am not too clued up on the process (will explain why later) but I beleive it operates on a 'points' system and you need a certain number of points to get a visa/work permit (never know the difference :D) not enough points, you probably won't get in. some jobs score more, for example, IT.
Now, even if you do get the right number of points, they might not let you in if you don't have a job to go to, I *think* you might be able to come over to look for work, but don't count on it. Thus you need to get a job before you come over and that's another problem. From what I am aware, the employer will need to sponsor you as you're an 'immigrant worker' (no, I am not an illegal immigrant, so not cheeky jokes! lol) and this is not an insignificant ammount (no idea how much though) and thus some companies might simply ignore you based on that, however, you might be skilled enough and they want you enough for them to sponsor you.
So you have a job, thing to bear in mind, check to see if you are bonded to that job, if you are, and you leave the job, well, you have to leave the country, you might be able to change the visa once you are there to remove the bonding, you'd need to find out.

This is all a bit Canada biased, but that is simply due to the fact that this is where I am right now. Why don't I know about points and things? because I am lucky. We opened an office in Toronto and I'm part of an intra-company transfer, so this allowed me to skip the points system and just get a permit, downside is that I am bonded to the job, so if I leave, I have to get out of Canada within 2 months, however, as said above, it might be possible to change my visa so I can work anywhere, and I might look into this as I do like it here.

If anyone is interested in moving to Canada and wants to hear the pro's and con's PM me as I'm happy to chat.

Brendan Hughes 28 April 2004 03:07 PM

See? Markus doesn't want you in Canada either :D:D

Lagamorph 28 April 2004 03:14 PM

Any of you watch tonight with trevor mcdonald the other night with extremist muslims burning our nations flag with our police force standing by doing nothing - New labour is allowing this to happen, this is killing our nations identity!!!!!!

We are too soft as a nation!!!!

Andy (not a happy bunny)

Brendan Hughes 28 April 2004 03:17 PM

Quote: FCUK OFF, WE DON'T WANT ANY MORE OF YOU THANKS.
Wish we were allowed to say that about foreigners.

My point is, I wish the British would realise that they are actually no more pleasant than the immigrants they claim are dragging the country down. They want immigrants to integrate in the UK, but are not prepared to integrate when they themselves emigrate. And when they emigrate, they continue the disgusting habits of their countrymen which supposedly are wrecking their old country. Stinking hypocrasy.

imlach 28 April 2004 03:18 PM

Move to the North East of Scotland, good IT jobs (especially games coders and 3D graphics) very cheap houses, virtually no immigrats (except for english).

E.G. IT manager on £40k can get 4-4.5 times wage on his own giving at least 160K mortgage, this would buy a brand new detached five bedroom house with double garage in Dundee/Broughty Ferry.

Are you sure? 5 bed house in Broughty Ferry for 160k?? Is it really in Broughty Ferry or an outlying area?

If your partner worked full time say 15k to 20k then you can have a mansion on the beach and a title (slight exageration, but you get the picture).
Hmm....last mansion I saw near Dundee was £600k. A 2nd wage won't fund that.

Also you can rent out a 30k 2bed flat for £450 a month.
Are you REALLY sure on that one?! £30k? Must be in a right $hit-hole in Dundee to be £30k. Do you know people that have PAID £30k for a 2 bed flat in Dundee that rents for £450/month? If so, I'll be up there to buy up many buy-to-lets tmmrw.....suspect they're not quite that cheap unless ex-cooncil and then they'd not be easy to let....

scoobchrissy 28 April 2004 03:26 PM

Quote: FCUK OFF, WE DON'T WANT ANY MORE OF YOU THANKS.
Wish we were allowed to say that about foreigners.

My thought's exactly :(

civictyper 28 April 2004 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Maybe the Scoobyney demographic is more representative than some claim:

"MORE than half of Brits want to get OUT of the UK for good — just as East Europeans are queuing to get IN, a survey reveals.

Twenty-four per cent of those who want to emigrate said they were disillusioned with Britain.

Many said they were fed up with the threat of terrorism and the asylum fiasco.

Experts predict up to 54,000 East Europeans could head to the UK when ten new countries join the EU on Saturday.

But meanwhile 52 per cent of Brits want a new life abroad.

Of those, 33 per cent said the weather was the main reason. Other factors were the high cost of living (18 per cent) and soaring crime (12 per cent)."

All thanks to New Labour.

UB:(

I'm not sure if I've got this correct but out of half of those questioned:

24% are cheesed off with Britain
33% are cheesed off with the weather (FFS!!)
18% are cheesed off with the cost of living
12% are cheesed off with soaring crime

Given that there is bound to be some overlap with the percentages then there must be some dreary motherfcukers in the UK.

I find the trouble is that people just like to moan and whine about stuff because they just like to moan and whine. In general these people can't be arsed to get off their backsides to emigrate because they don't really want to. They just want to moan about it.

It's like that colleague at work that's been there for 10 years but has spent his time constantly moaning and threatening to leave and find a better job because his is so carp. Is he hell as like.

What they should do is conduct a survey on the people already surveyed to find out how many are actually leaving the country and how may hot air blowers there are.

For the record I love the UK but find it sad that over 50% of the population (allegedly) are miserable as sin :(

lightning101 28 April 2004 03:44 PM

imlach - check out the www.tspc.co.uk

I have lived in broughty/monifeith most of my working life and have had a few houses, I'm sure Scooby Dooby Blue will tell you the same about house prices and rentals, he works and lives in this area.

Also check out www.shepherds.co.uk for the rental prices of flats and then check TSPC for flat prices in those same streets, you will be shocked.
68401 - 20 Wyvis Avenue BROUGHTY FERRY ~ Detached Villa 4 bedroomsFixed £177,00069447 - 1A Marlee Road BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Detached Villa 6 bedroomsOffers Over £175,00069461 - 21 Dawson Road WEST FERRY DUNDEE ~ Detached Villa 4 bedroomsOffers Over £169,00069563 - 17 Glasclune Way BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Detached Villa 4 bedroomsOffers Over £169,00069626 - Balgillo Road BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Development 4 bedroomsOffers Over £165,00069229 - 18 Lawers Drive BROUGHTY FERRY ~ Detached Villa 4 bedroomsFixed £165,00068645 - 4 Panmurefield Den BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Semi-Detached Bungalow 3 bedroomsOffers Over £164,00069779 - Inchyra, 20 Bughties Road BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Detached Villa 2 bedroomsOffers Over £160,00069036 - 18 Wyvis Avenue BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Detached Villa 4 bedroomsOffers Over £157,00069691 - 19 Inchcolm Drive BROUGHTY FERRY ~ Detached Villa 4 bedroomsOffers Over £155,00069818 - 26 Lawers Road BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Detached Villa 4 bedroomsOffers Over £155,00069690 - 509 Brook Street BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Terraced Villa 5 bedroomsOffers Over £155,00069562 - 1 Alder Place BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Detached Villa 4 bedroomsOffers Over £152,00069341 - Fairfield House, 7a Fairfield Road BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Flat 4 bedroomsOffers Over £149,00069612 - 22 Colliston Drive BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Detached Bungalow 3 bedroomsOffers Over £149,00069751 - 12 Castleton Place BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Detached Villa 3 bedroomsOffers Over £139,00069442 - 30 Rhynie Road BROUGHTY FERRY ~ Detached Villa 3 bedroomsOffers Over £138,00069701 - 48 Kerrington Crescent BARNHILL ~ Semi-Detached Villa 4 bedroomsOffers Over £135,00069320 - 105 Lawers Drive BROUGHTY FERRY ~ Detached Villa 4 bedroomsOffers Over £135,00069498 - 19 Gillies Terrace BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Semi-Detached Villa 5 bedroomsOffers Over £130,00069505 - Flat 18 Taypark, 30 Dundee Road BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Flat 2 bedroomsOffers Over £130,00069630 - 663 Arbroath Road BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Detached Villa 4 bedroomsOffers Over £129,95069182 - 50 Durris Loan BALGILLO PARK DUNDEE ~ Detached Villa 4 bedroomsOffers Over £129,00069587 - 61 Dawson Road WEST FERRY DUNDEE ~ Detached Villa 4 bedroomsOffers Over £129,00069734 - 56 Gotterstone Drive BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Detached Bungalow 3 bedroomsOffers Over £129,00069277 - 50 Claypotts Road BROUGHTY FERRY ~ Semi-Detached Bungalow 2 bedroomsOffers Over £125,00069582 - 8 Alford Gardens BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Detached Villa 3 bedroomsOffers Over £120,00069390 - 38 Marlee Road BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Semi-Detached Villa 3 bedroomsOffers Over £119,00069647 - 55 Carnbane Drive BROUGHTY FERRY DUNDEE ~ Detached Villa 3 bedroomsOffers Over £119,00069661 - 49 Dawson Road WEST FERRY DUNDEE ~ Detached Villa 3 bedroomsOffers Over £110,000

SomeDude 28 April 2004 03:44 PM

Brave words Brendan, but I doubt they will sink in.

My wild guess is that 20 % of any nation are decent folk, and will respect the new host country. The rest just want to move their old habits on to a new piece of turf.

Brits seem to be no better or no worse in that respect. French do it, Dutch do it, Belgians do it, Germans do it etc... Brits do have the extra problem that in most countries, they will find people knowing/willing to speak English.

In fact, odly enough, I do know a few people that really integrated into their new host country, and ironically, they come from Morocco. Maybe they have been here the longest, I don't know, it's mostly 2nd or 3rd generation, and again 80 % will just not take the trouble to adapt (which does not mean assimilate) to their new environment.

I bet you did integrate as well (not meant ironically :) ). How would you describe your Portuguese ? Personally, I would die of shame living in another country and not knowing their language/habits after say 2 years.

tiggers 28 April 2004 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lagamorph
Any of you watch tonight with trevor mcdonald the other night with extremist muslims burning our nations flag with our police force standing by doing nothing - New labour is allowing this to happen ..

Firstly Tonight with Trevor McDonald is a sensationalist load of media claptrap designed to provoke exactly this reaction.

Secondly I think you'll find it was the police who allowed this to happen unless it was actually Tony Blair dressed as a copper of course.

This is the current face of the UK police forces, stand by and watch extremists burn our flag, let 'travellers' terrorise whole neighbourhoods, but wo betide you if you exceed the speed limit :rolleyes:

lightning101 28 April 2004 03:52 PM

How about this for value.

Superb period style residence of traditional construction in prime residential area. The property retains many original features. GCH. Vestibule, Reception Hall, 3 Public Rooms, Kitchen, Laundry, Boiler Room, Cloakroom, Wine Cellar, WC, 6 Bedrooms, Study/Bedroom 7, Shower Room, Bathroom, WC Attic. Extensive Gardens. Double Garage. Greenhouse. Tool Cellar. Viewing essential.

TSPC Map Ref - R5

Viewing: Contact Solicitor
Blackadders
Tel: 01382 342222 Offers Over £395,000

http://www.tspc.co.uk/images/property/69095.jpg

imlach 28 April 2004 03:53 PM

Yeah, saw that one before, but at o/o £395k, could go for £450k+, and that is STILL not within reach of 2nd wage of £15k, nor is it a mansion :)

It has also been on the market for MONTHS - why?

ProperCharlie 28 April 2004 03:53 PM

looks a bit naff to me.

imlach 28 April 2004 03:55 PM

My sister in law works in a solicitors/estate agent in Dundee, so will be asking her tonight about rental properties to confirm your figures....I still cannot see £30k flats getting £450/month...that rental/value ratio is WAY WAY WAY above scottish average.

ozzy 28 April 2004 04:04 PM

Why the heck would you want to pay £400K for a house in Broughty Ferry? Is the standard of life and job market that good up there. The only experience I have of Monifeith is getting thrashed around Barry Buden, so it's not a place that appeals to me ;)

Scotland is a fantastic place to live, especially the North West. The only thing that upsets me is the cost of living, house prices, the weather (although it's been great this week) and the short nights in winter - that's really depressing :(

Stefan

Wurzel 28 April 2004 04:06 PM

Any of you watch tonight with trevor mcdonald the other night with extremist muslims burning our nations flag with our police force standing by doing nothing - New labour is allowing this to happen, this is killing our nations identity!!!!!!

We are too soft as a nation!!!!

Andy (not a happy bunny)

In many countries this alone will get you arrested. The USA for one.

during the world cup I watched a game USA v Germany and I took an American flag with me to annoy the germans, I let the flag touch the floor and within about 5 mins I had Americans come up to me and tell me to not let the flag touch the floor, nothing about us using it as a table cloth and spilling beer all over it, but they didnt want it touching the floor.

I thought it was pretty pathetic at the time but no matter how annoying the yanks are their flag means everything to them, I got a bolloking in England for Flying the Union Flag without permission now that is pathetic.

lightning101 28 April 2004 04:08 PM

Hey, I just read a lot of property sites and my friend (from edinburgh) has rental properties up here. Don't have to be in great areas to get that. All you need is the right area - e.g. menziehill is right next to the hospital, and the universities, its not a good area (IMO) but each room would be rentable at 225 - £250 a month. Here is and extract from www.shepherd.co.uk have a look further down for the 400 to £450 rentals.

Search Results - 44 properties Page 1 of 5New Search Result Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 Next >> Property BedroomsRentDundee & Angus - City Centre: Dalgleish Buildings3£750
per monthLuxury Flat situated close to City Centre with easy access to all amenities.Property Details >>Dundee & Angus - City Centre: Marine Parade, City Quay2£650
per monthFourth Floor Flat in newly built development at Dundee City Quay.Property Details >>Dundee & Angus - City Centre: South Victoria Dock Road3£650
per monthLuxury Apartment at Waterfront in new City Quay Development. Close to City Centre amenities.Property Details >>Dundee & Angus - City Centre: Marine Parade2£650
per monthLuxury Modern flat part of the new development at City Quay, close to Dundee City Centre.Property Details >>Dundee & Angus - West End: Blackness Road2£550
per monthLower part of Divided House on Blackness Road, close to Balgay Park.Property Details >>Dundee & Angus - West End: High Mill Court2£550
per monthFirst floor flat in a Converted Mill in a popular residential area in the West End of Dundee.Property Details >>Dundee & Angus - Broughty Ferry: Brown Street2£550
per monthLuxury Flat situated in Central Broughty Ferry and close to all shops, schools and amenities.Property Details >>Dundee & Angus - West End: Greenstone Place2£550
per monthModern Semi-Detached bungalow in excellent West End location within easy reach of Ninewells Hopspital and the Technology Park. Property Details >>Dundee & Angus - City Centre: Victoria Road3£520
per monthSpacious Flat in City Centre convenient for all amenities.Property Details >>Dundee & Angus - City Centre: Bonnethill Apartments2£500
per monthLuxury Flat in Converted Mill within 5 minutes walk of Dundee City Centre. Convenient for all amenities.Property Details >>

Lagamorph 28 April 2004 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by tiggers
Firstly Tonight with Trevor McDonald is a sensationalist load of media claptrap designed to provoke exactly this reaction.

Secondly I think you'll find it was the police who allowed this to happen unless it was actually Tony Blair dressed as a copper of course.

This is the current face of the UK police forces, stand by and watch extremists burn our flag, let 'travellers' terrorise whole neighbourhoods, but wo betide you if you exceed the speed limit :rolleyes:

what they are doing is treason and they should be hung!(harsh i know :D ) blair is a pussy cat and should be more willing to respond to idiots like this. And for those of you that think its all fairy tales and things like this are only fabricated by the media (not saying they arnt they are just highlighted by the media) stop being so gullable and open your eyes.

Jerome 28 April 2004 04:11 PM

Further to what Markus said (again ;) )...

Don't move to Canada to get away from high taxes. The federal and provincial government taxes everything except oxygen (and that is in the pipeline). They called it being "nickle and dimed" here. You even pay tax on a second hand car FFS - you can be given a car and you have to pay tax on the government book rate.

Don't come to Canada to get away from immigration unless you go to Moose Groin Alberta - ie somehwere hundreds of miles from civilisation and no jobs (if you aren't a moose herder). The ethnic minorities here are 13.5% and is increasing. They have even let in some known Al-Queda activists recently.

Don't move to Canada and think you will be better off. The decent paying jobs are sourced through contacts rather than adverts/agencies/internet etc. The cost of living isn't as cheap as it first appears. I earn less than half what I did in the UK and the cost of living is about 75% of the UK. Do not come to Canada with UK debt - paying it off can be crippling.

As Markus said, you really need to spend a good deal of time in a country to get a feel for the place. And the grass is not always greener etc.

Having said all that, I doubt I'll ever move back to the UK. If I ever get fed up with Canada I'd rather move to Australia/NZ than back to blightly.

PS: The licensing hours here make the UK look sooo old fashioned and backwards.

gsm1 28 April 2004 04:17 PM

Go and see how most of the world lives. They have to slave their backsides off just to be able to eat. They don't have time to fart around in their flash motors or sit in pubs moaning.

Go out and do the job some poor Chinese guy is doing, polluting his lungs to make some piece of ****e cheap enough to hang from your mobile phone. Then these people might quit their whining and realise how good they've got it.

gsm1 28 April 2004 04:22 PM

Don't come to Canada to get away from immigration unless you go to Moose Groin Alberta - ie somehwere hundreds of miles from civilisation and no jobs (if you aren't a moose herder). The ethnic minorities here are 13.5% and is increasing. They have even let in some known Al-Queda activists recently.
I love that one. I suppose you're not an immigrant then???:confused:

That's why I never go abroad - too many foreigners!:)

Jerome 28 April 2004 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by gsm1
I love that one. I suppose you're not an immigrant then???:confused:

That's why I never go abroad - too many foreigners!:)

I was born in Canada to British parents and grew up in Britain. I therefore have dual nationality and am not an immigrant. :D

I should also point out that immigration/immigrants etc was not one of my reasons for leaving the UK.

tiggers 28 April 2004 04:43 PM

what they are doing is treason and they should be hung!(harsh i know :D ) blair is a pussy cat and should be more willing to respond to idiots like this. And for those of you that think its all fairy tales and things like this are only fabricated by the media (not saying they arnt they are just highlighted by the media) stop being so gullable and open your eyes.

No you miss my point. I'm not saying the event didn't happen, but the way it's reported makes you puff up like this as that is just what the programme is designed to do.

I will say once again that I can't understand why you are not blaming the police for this as it was they who, as you said, stood around and did nothing - still that doesn't fit with your 'everything is Blair's fault' theory does it now?

Leslie 28 April 2004 04:53 PM

I am proud to be British and would not want to leave this country because of the incompetence in government that we have had over many years now. I still have faith that it can be reversed by a government run by people for altruistic reasons. This was a great country in the past, and I think that the great majority of people still think the same way as years ago. Given the right leadership we can get back to where we were. The eyes of the electorate have been opened over the last twenty or so years and we won't accept that the Goverments we have seen over that sort of timescale have been traditionally honest with us. Our leaders used to be generally trusted to do right by us but no one is going to be sucked in by that any more, We expect now to see real action and results from these ministers etc. for the actual good of the electorate and we won't be fooled by grand words and pretence at action which comes to nothing.

I have no doubt that the likes of those who decry this country would be quick to accuse me of that snide description of being a "little Englander" as has been mentioned in the past. Well I just don't care if they do. I am not in any way ashamed to be seen supporting my own country. The answer is not to run away but to ensure that we elect honest people who will work on our behalf rather than for their own selfish advancement, and who understand that if they don't, they will have the skids put under them at the next election. That is why we have a vote and why it is so important to use it. No good whining about the quality of the government if you are too lazy to get down to the voting booth!

Look back in history to see how this country influenced the world and how earlier governments acted on behalf of the population. That includes those who immigrated to Great Britain and who have helped to build it into what it used to be. We have reached the stage though that we are overpopulated and there is no room for more large numbers of people to come into Britain. There just is not the room or the infrastructure to cope with that. We need someone who is prepared to stand up against the woolly headed PC brigade who want only to throw our taxes at any problem that arises with no regard to the future.

:(

BMWhere? 28 April 2004 05:04 PM

Leslie, your completely right, but I'm not going to hang around on the off chance that Britian will ever get better. If it does then I may return! In the mean time, I still have my postal vote and will always do my bit to help shape Britian in to an attractive country to live... I'll just be doing it from afar!

gareth123 28 April 2004 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel
In many countries this alone will get you arrested. The USA for one.

No it won't, flag burning is not a crime here.

I left the UK over 4 years ago. I miss the bacon and the beeb and that's about it. I doubt I'll ever live in the UK again.

gsm1 28 April 2004 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jerome
I was born in Canada to British parents and grew up in Britain. I therefore have dual nationality and am not an immigrant. :D

I should also point out that immigration/immigrants etc was not one of my reasons for leaving the UK.

Yeah, but people emigrating from the UK to Canada would also be immigrants!

StickyMicky 28 April 2004 05:18 PM

Britain just isnt "great" anymore

Markus 28 April 2004 05:22 PM

Hello Jerome :)

Taxes, ahh, how I love GST and PST.

The comment about paying off UK debt is very apt, I am paying off a large loan, back to the UK and if the CAD$ is low then this is good, if it's high, a very very bad thing.

I did get a slight pay rise when I got here, but not much more than I would have got if I had stayed in the UK, and don't talk to me about relocation fees, as they were not exactly forthcoming and it's a rather sore point.

gsm1 - true, I would be classed as an immigrant, however I think Jerome is probably not, as he would, I guess, be seen as a canadian citizen (got another two years to wait before I can pledge allegience to the maple leaf (already done it to the maple leafs, which is different :D))