ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   MY03 Sti 1st year faults. How common? What were they? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/320188-my03-sti-1st-year-faults-how-common-what-were-they.html)

rotty 20 April 2004 11:47 AM

STidreamer

My wipers on my new STi are useless too on the drivers side , they clear when going up and then smear again coming down , I have just had a new widscreen and the problem is the same

WRX_BLUES 20 April 2004 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by rotty
STidreamer

My wipers on my new STi are useless too on the drivers side , they clear when going up and then smear again coming down , I have just had a new widscreen and the problem is the same

Just replace them with Boschs the problem goes away immediately.

Lemmy 20 April 2004 12:34 PM

Fuel smell

Originally Posted by hawkeye
i have this problem too when driven hard to the STINKS of fuel ive traced the smell to around the filler cap area/rear arch is there a breather there or something??

anyone else had this one

I have this problem too. It is worse with more than half a tank of fuel and after driving hard. The smell is definately comimg from around the offside rear of the car, i.e. where the petrol filler cap is. My dealer has checked all the seals where petrol might leak out and says everything is fine.

How could the breather malfunction to create the petrol smell? Don't these cars have a filter to absorb the petrol fumes; cpould this be faulty?

Alan

Scooby-Monster 20 April 2004 01:08 PM

Add this one to the list....

Driver's seat rattles and moves, something's loose.

also my wipers are also diabolical... smears galore.

D

rotty 20 April 2004 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by WRX_BLUES
Just replace them with Boschs the problem goes away immediately.

Cheers , may well do that :)

sandycam 20 April 2004 04:55 PM

I too had cr*p wipers and had a replacement windscreen fitted (not through choice!) and eventually it was cured as said above with Bosch wiper blades from Halfrauds for £21.

DeerHunter 20 April 2004 06:12 PM

dazza - had the proble with the nsr knock for ages, after having the prodrive spring kit fitted its no different, had my noise for 9 mths now and already had a new strut so i wouldnt worry about it - if it was dangerous and IM knew about it they would have recalled them surely?

modified topmount 'has cured the handfull of cars with this problem' according to Danny of Holdcroft Widnes (who i feel knows his stuff)....

Wonder if someone like Mike Wood could comment on the problem?

Also had a problem with the windscreen wiper relay buzzing and the battery running out after a week of non use!

Ex_Pug 20 April 2004 06:37 PM

(03 STi PPP/PHP) One of the seals in the rear diff started leaking and had to be replaced not so long ago. Wipers replaced with Bosch ones for obvious reasons. I also have a very slight suspension related knocking sound, usually most noticeable at very low speeds, over small bumps, or bumpettes, and when the car has just been woken up from cold. I've not bothered to ask anyone about it so far, because it's very hard to get it to do it, and it's pretty quiet anyway. Oh yeah, windscreen wiper relay buzzes in the usual way... doesn't really bother me anymore.

Otherwise, my main gripe is the way the car tends to kangaroo sometimes when I try to accelerate hard from bellow 3000rpm.

Melina 20 April 2004 07:59 PM

Dan,

I had two things wrong with my STi who is now eight months old.

First the dumb valve was making a noise at acceleration and secondly another fault which continues to prevail. When I am in at 3800 rpm up until around 4500 the engine oscilates at constant speed which is strange at first.
The dealer cannot check it since the environment around Paris does not lend itself to constant speeds at above 140-150 km. I have got used to it now.

No one at the forum was able to offer an explanation.

Malene

MARK MORRIS 22 April 2004 06:16 PM

its my left hand rear strut thats noisy, also the crap starting, about 1 in every 5 starts, it takes a few times to get it going, been in but yet again, no problem found
mark