ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Divorce Settlements (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/319148-divorce-settlements.html)

CupraT 14 April 2004 08:27 PM

Nick 14 April 2004 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Jeez. If you try and get 400k cashback at the supermarket, it won't be the wife's lawyers who are interested.

I was thinking more like £25 a week? :rolleyes:

Nick 14 April 2004 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Terzo 333
There's been plenty of good advice for CupraT, but I'm just wondering if its possible to not get into his position ? i.e, if you get married and then divorced - do you have to payout 50 % all the time ?

What i'm trying to say is, do pre nuptials work ?

The APPROX 50% split is for long term marriages of 10 years. If the woman is older or has kids, she will get more, sometimes everything. If the marriage is for less time, say 3-5 & the man introduced substantial assets, say a house, she will nto get as much as 50:50.

Pre-nups do not work. A court of law is not bound by a pre-nup. IF, the court feels like it & if BOTH parties are in agreement, the judge could abide by some or all of the intentions of the pre-nup. Basically it's crap.

kev_p1_betsy 14 April 2004 09:27 PM

just wait until you get the dreaded solicitors bills just cost me 80k to get my settlement and i still aint even divorced yet :mad:

best thing is to try and work it out and get a settlement between you,s and try not to drag out a long legal battle took me 2 years to get mine sorted joint consilltation 2 days before it was ment to go through the high court in edinburgh i got mines sorted but like a said still cost me 80k to do that

kev

Butkus 14 April 2004 09:36 PM

I don't think I ever want to get married!

Freak 15 April 2004 03:35 AM

My first manager said to me on the first nite i worked there:

"Dont bother getting married..... just find a woman you really really hate, and buy her a house.........."

Wise words methinks.........

ariel 15 April 2004 04:51 AM

She will be entitled to 50:50. Of course you have run in to the womans version of half, which is her half and half of the rest too. They always come back for more.
This is normal behaviour I am afraid and applies whether there are kids or not and whether she has worked or not.
Seems to me that you have the choice of an amicable split where you pay her out and allow her to shaft you, or go for the sharp and nasty solicitor who will fight your corner then he will shaft you with his fees.
You heard the advice to go spend some money? Well, she will have people telling her the same and you might just find a big hole appear in your finances.

Diesel 15 April 2004 07:42 AM

>>3. Never marry again<<]

Certainly looks like sound advice as contribution seems irrelevant to 'winnings' in a divorce. ABSURDLY unfair.

However is the not getting married thing any solution to not getting ruined if splitting up after many unmarried years living together?

D

OllyK 15 April 2004 08:26 AM

However is the not getting married thing any solution to not getting ruined if splitting up after many unmarried years living together?
IIRC there is no such thing as a common law wife in England, so if you are not married and things are in your name, you can kick her out with what she brought to the relationship.

Brendan Hughes 15 April 2004 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nick
I was thinking more like £25 a week? :rolleyes:

If you read the first post, the main thing he doesn't want his wife to get is £400k's worth of inheritance.

£25 per week over a savage 3 year battle will get him slightly less than 1% of that.

":rolleyes:"

Nick 15 April 2004 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
If you read the first post, the main thing he doesn't want his wife to get is £400k's worth of inheritance.

£25 per week over a savage 3 year battle will get him slightly less than 1% of that.

":rolleyes:"

To protect against losing the inheritance needs a lawyer & barrister. The cashback is simply an untracable method of getting a little of what's yours. I've already recommended going in hard on the legal side.