ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   SL500 vs. Scooby? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/311637-sl500-vs-scooby.html)

Spoon 21 March 2004 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by UKType
No such model as SL500 AMG assume you mean SL55 AMG.

Correct.

Originally Posted by AR
Like you have? Earlier threads have confirmed that an 'AMG SL500' is just an SL500 with an AMG bodykit and wheels. An SL500 is pretty similar in performance terms to a PPP WRX/standard Sti. An SL55 would toast either on the road if it was dry.

No, not me pal, no confusion from where I stand, read again and you'll find it wasn't me.

The car in question here is an AMG so your comparison of a standard SL is pointless, that is what I was pointing out.

Maybe you were just letting us know you've had an SL hey?

Never assume that others here haven't owned such exotica but prefer not to shout about it and therefore know what they are talking about not merely guessing.

Why do threads always go off on a tangent? :rolleyes:

UKType 22 March 2004 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Spoon
Correct.

No, not me pal, no confusion from where I stand, read again and you'll find it wasn't me.

The car in question here is an AMG so your comparison of a standard SL is pointless, that is what I was pointing out.

Maybe you were just letting us know you've had an SL hey?

Never assume that others here haven't owned such exotica but prefer not to shout about it and therefore know what they are talking about not merely guessing.

Why do threads always go off on a tangent? :rolleyes:

If I wanted to shout about what car I own guess I would put it in my sig and mention it on every post. Just putting the record straight about SL500 not being an AMG model in the same way as if I referenced a BMW M330

akshay67 22 March 2004 12:40 PM

So if we get one of our top scoobs out of the stable - a Type 25 or Spec C, surely that'd be quicker around a track??

Spoon 22 March 2004 12:53 PM

UKType- If you read my thread correctly you will see that wasn't aimed at you!

I replied "correct" to you after your observation, no more, no less.

Even cut and paste with the originators name isn't sufficient!!!!

Google ads please show Specsavers.:D

Misha 22 March 2004 01:01 PM

I have raced a couple of SL55 AMG in MY"03 Spec C Ltd(stock). One was stock, the other had around 560 BHP(I talked to the owner after the race). Both times I beat the SL's to 60/70mph, after that bye bye Scooby:)

CTRnutter *2* 22 March 2004 01:17 PM

slightly different know,

but I posted a couple of weeks ago about mt bro and old man arguing over wether his CLK 55 AMG would toast my bro's scoob, 330 bhp STI-8

I have looked into this since handling wise I'm not sure the F1 world would use a 55 AMG as their official pace car if it was not up to scratch round the twisties, I also read somwhere that the suspension setup on these cars is the most expensive on a road going car.

we were out in the car the other day when an EVO-7 tried it on from 40mph lets just say the autobox kicked it down a gear and the thing changed into a nut mobile and the mid range tourque made the evo look a complete joke and became very small very quickly as the V8 came into stride at a silly speed.

both different cars, but just because it hasn't got blue paint and gold wheels and an ironing board on the boot doesn't mean it's slower

CraigH 22 March 2004 02:06 PM

So if we get one of our top scoobs out of the stable - a Type 25 or Spec C, surely that'd be quicker around a track??
Probably, but you're now talking about track optimised cars. Would be interesting to see it if the track was somewhere like Silverstone/Snetterton/Castle Combe which is good for the high powered cars.

Reckon a Type 25/Spec C would struggle.

MattOz 22 March 2004 04:05 PM

Mercedes did an SL55 AMG F1, which had all the usual SL55 kit plus different bodywork and brakes and some tweaks here and there. I think that they went for about £110k. An SL55 would give a Scoob a spanking , come rain or shine. Apparently. ;)

Matt

RB5193 22 March 2004 05:27 PM

Followed an SL500 AMG on the M** he bottled it at 150!

See Ya!!!

sulli 22 March 2004 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by MattOz
Mercedes did an SL55 AMG F1, which had all the usual SL55 kit plus different bodywork and brakes and some tweaks here and there. I think that they went for about £110k. An SL55 would give a Scoob a spanking , come rain or shine. Apparently. ;)

Matt

He did say something about it being the new F1 AMG based on F1 technology:eek:
Think i'll have to clarify exactly what it is, and the spec with him, and you lot can start arguing again :rolleyes: :D
My car is probably running 250ish Bhp, so any AMG will probably be quicker - moot point though really as he would never race me - although, he's apparently a **** driver according to my dad, so maybe I would win.
Bit of a pointless post now I think about it:o

UKType 22 March 2004 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by sulli
He did say something about it being the new F1 AMG based on F1 technology:eek:
Think i'll have to clarify exactly what it is, and the spec with him, and you lot can start arguing again :rolleyes: :D
My car is probably running 250ish Bhp, so any AMG will probably be quicker - moot point though really as he would never race me - although, he's apparently a **** driver according to my dad, so maybe I would win.
Bit of a pointless post now I think about it:o

AMG offer a an SL55 AMG Performance Pack which includes the following:

New front apron with larger air intakes
Additional oil cooler
Uprated sports suspension
Uprated brakes
19" AMG wheels
Removal of speed limiter

Doesnt really inprove the performance but does remove max speed of 155 and improves handling and stopping. All for the wallet emptying price of 26,448 Euros if fitted after production!!!!!

Nog 14 April 2004 09:51 PM

If the SL55 AMG is anything like the C32 AMG, then don't get too carried away. Tried to keep up with a mate in a C32 AMG (with the traction control on), and I struggled to keep with him round long sweeping bends. The scooby's tyres (standard MY00 Turbo) were squeeling like a small puppy dog.

RRH 14 April 2004 10:37 PM

SL55 embarassingly and frighteningly quick. I spar with one regularly on my way to work, and it ain't particularly well driven (neither is my Impreza tho:D)

He destroys me every day.

Same guy has an S55 as well. same thing happens.

There is a saying that there is no substitute for cc's, and in this case I have to say I agree.

Devastating:(