ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Anyone had or got a 205 1.6 gti? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/300629-anyone-had-or-got-a-205-1-6-gti.html)

NACRO 10 February 2004 11:04 AM

I found my 1.6 to be better handling than the 1.9, the engine seemed smoother too. The 1.9 was far quicker though and better specced.

Paulo P 10 February 2004 11:18 AM

I think that's made my mind up to hold out for a 1.9 then :D That'll give me chance to talk to my boss and see if they'll let me give my company car back :)

Olly 10 February 2004 02:21 PM

Anothe one-nine owner.

Spend as much as you can afford. The difference between a dog and a gooder is only a matter of hundereds anyway. No point buying a so-called bargain and spending time & cash polishing a turd. I have driven worn out 1.9's, they feel absolutely awful, which is not the idea.

My advice is go for originality. IMHO mods are pointless. Peugeot got it bang-on first time, which is why that the car barely evolved. It didn't need to.

Power steering or not? I've had both, and liked both. The non assisted car wins for feedback, but the assisted car is nicer around town and has a quicker, more direct rack.

I reckon prices have bottomed out. Good, original cars are getting hard to find now. Surely a future classic and a good investment.

As everyone says, a 1.9 is a fantastic drivers car. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING I have ever driven (and I have driven plenty of stuff) rewards so much down the lanes.

Mine may be for sale, I may be persuaded to part with it with some arm twisting. Added another motor to the olly collection yesterday (to make 6) and only 2 fit in the garage. Something has to give ;)

ScoobyJawa 10 February 2004 02:35 PM

What did you get Olly?

You can't get rid of the pug mate :( You'll be excluded from the club :p ;) :D

LMAO!

Dream Weaver 10 February 2004 02:55 PM

Get rid of that lard arse Golf instead ;)

Olly 10 February 2004 03:16 PM

PMSL!! 16v Golf went ages ago to the ex girlfriend. Still got my old 8v workhorse, but that's going as well.

Bought a "Footballers Wives" tarty farty Benz SL500, and following Clarkson's escapades a Toyota Hilux pickup yesterday, to replace the S-Cargo (snail van) and the Golf. Wanted something to drive through sheds with ;)

ScoobyJawa 10 February 2004 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Olly
Wanted something to drive through sheds with ;)

:D

Tang 11 February 2004 02:27 PM

Any advice on where to get good ones? (or where to avoid for that matter)?

Cheers

Tang

Dream Weaver 11 February 2004 02:57 PM

What 205's or Hilux's? :D

Petem95 11 February 2004 03:04 PM

I owned 2 1.9 GTi's then got a 1.6 GTi and found it dissapointing. Pug figures for 0-60 for the 1.9 are 7.5seconds - but the amazingly sharp throttle response and great spead of torque through the revs make them feel faster than that IMO.

Make sure you take the car to get setup at a garage with the correct Bosch diagnostics equipment - always makes a huge improvement as they tend to go out of tune quite quickly.

Ive now got a 1.9 GTi Turbo Technics (175bhp) and thats simply stunning. I cant recommend a 1.9 GTi enough (insurance is dirt cheap too by the way) - but dont rush into it - try and find a good one.

ScoobyJawa 11 February 2004 04:30 PM

Tang - avoid JustGTI's - very overpriced.......

met 11 February 2004 10:28 PM

id recommend autofive for parts, after reading all the posts i think i'll keep mine my 1.9! what a car, far more foccused than my old clio cup, great cars mate! buy one you wont regret it, ive spent loads on mine & it somehow didnt upset me too much getting it all sorted, like restoring a classic car :)

Dream Weaver 12 February 2004 09:00 AM

Exactly met, think of it as restoring a classic. Mine has cost about £3k now including buying, but I will keep it forever.

Moving house in 6 weeks, and finally get a garage - 20' by 11' :D:D

205 project will move into there then.

Paulo P 12 February 2004 09:26 AM

:cool: I now have to wait until I can find a good one :(:(:( Hope it doesn't take long :(

NACRO 12 February 2004 09:34 AM

My 1.6 came from "just gti's"- it eventually blew it's engine after 4 months (just after I'd sold it :D). Wasn't the best prepared either, it was also a few £100 more than a private buy but I had the most awful wreck of a trade in which they took. Wouldn't advise using them at all unless desperate.