ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Window Tinting - Amendments to Legislation (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/294331-window-tinting-amendments-to-legislation.html)

marklemac 23 January 2004 02:31 PM

Bobfrog1,

I will host it..

http://www.markburr.com/scooby/tints.jpg

Cider boy 23 January 2004 02:34 PM

Will the police not enforce this like they do on bikes?

I ride with with a dark visor during the day, carrying a clear one to swap as it gets dark, and I have never been stopped by the police for using it during the day, they understand it's actually safer to ride with a dark visor on a bright sunny day rather than sunglasses under your helmet.

Surely they aren't going to bother pulling people over and issuing rectification notices (more paperwork for them) for those who have sensible tints and aren't causing a safety issue??

For those who have the total black limo tints on front windows I can't wait to see them got off the road - as a bike rider who always rides with headlight on (no option on a new bike anyway!) they are a danger to us all :D:D:D

Matt

chiark 23 January 2004 02:38 PM

To blame insurers is ridiculous. If you need to blame someone, blame the idiots that put limo black on front windows.

Izzy 23 January 2004 02:45 PM

This is nothing to do with the insurers mate..... At worst they may charge more premium to reflect the fact the car's more desireable, including the thieving scum element.

No, I think this is down to knee-jerk, over reaction by meddling government "civil servant" types. It's said it's prompted by a driver being unable to see a motorcyclist / other car, but I suspect this was an easier reason to prosecute than more likely the true accident cause of the driver not paying sufficient attention.

I have dark tints on my car (they were on it when imported from Japan), and, imho, I have no problems seeing other cars & bikes - providing they are showing lights at night as they should. The tints do not obstruct visibility, but actually improve it in bright conditions by helping to cut down glare.

I guess I'll just have to wait & see, & be prepared to pacify any "jobs-worths" I may come across.

DrEvil 23 January 2004 03:11 PM

Guys,

I've contact my insurer just to clarify the stand point in the event of an accident. As if front window tints (ie. A->B pillar) are illegal/MOT failure - my car isn't road legal and as such surely a possible get out of paying in the event of a claim clause.
Of course I hope I don't have an accident.

I don't blame the insurers at all - this is the government + road safety groups + and the nutters that use limo tints on the front side windows as Nick said.

Alex

Steve vRS 23 January 2004 03:53 PM

I've contact my insurer just to clarify the stand point in the event of an accident. As if front window tints (ie. A->B pillar) are illegal/MOT failure - my car isn't road legal and as such surely a possible get out of paying in the event of a claim clause
The same as a decat exhaust then and how many Scoobs have those! My insurance know about my tints and all my other modifications. It would be interesting if Rum or someone could post on this topic!

Steve

drumsterphil 23 January 2004 04:02 PM

Alex, I agree entirely!

The more I think about this the more I am seething![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

The cynical part of me says that road safety has nothing to do with the decision but to enable new weapons against the war on speed like Truvelo to be able to see the driver's face whereas it is quite difficult to make mine out in my car at present (but this is me just being cynical and, of course, has no basis at all..........:rolleyes:

Steve vRS 23 January 2004 05:02 PM

LMFAO at the Google ad!

Steve

Nathan L 23 January 2004 05:21 PM

If you get stopped just tell them you'll drive home with both your front windows open ;) :p :D

Nathan..