ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   What is going on with MY03 prices (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/290880-what-is-going-on-with-my03-prices.html)

Terminator X 14 January 2004 12:39 AM

Guys.

The dealers are standing firm on prices (new and 2nd hand) cos if they did anything else then their market would crumble like the private 2nd hand car market has! You only have to look on the for sale forum here to see people giving away their cars and still there are no takers! If only private sellers stood firm on prices (as the dealers do) then when an interested party came along they would have to pay a reasonable sum rather than rock bottom (IMHO).

X.

rotty 14 January 2004 12:41 AM

They aren't standing firm on new prices there are huge discounts to be had

In december the dealer network were 500 cars short of IM's 10,000 car target for the year , the incentives offered to dealers were massive

[Edited by rotty - 1/14/2004 12:42:29 AM]

scooby-tc 14 January 2004 12:54 AM

The prices of classic Type R seems to be going up too judging by what people have been paying for them.Maybe i should sell mine and get an 03 :D

Terminator X 14 January 2004 01:00 AM

Rotty.

I didn't mean that they weren't discounting the new prices I just meant that they're not being daft and offering new cars for silly low prices. If they did so they would be cutting their own throats as the market would spiral ever downwards. Currently the 2nd hand market is dead, full stop (not just scoobs of course).

X.

Ajax 14 January 2004 02:12 AM

Pleased I bought an import he he he:)

logiclee 14 January 2004 05:44 AM

If you can get 50% after 3 years you are doing well. Remember that most mainstream stuff is lucky to make 35%.

Anyone who pays full list for a scoob must be mad, there ae discounts available.

Look at other big engined stuff like an A8, 7 series, 607 etc for frightening depreciation. Buy second hand and get a bargain. :)
I recently picked up a 75 V6 £23270 new list, 10 months old, 10k miles, UK car for £10995.

Lee

rotty 14 January 2004 07:15 AM

Terminator X

yes the 2nd hand market is dead a you say all over

I thought you meant they were sticking by list price on new cars , the 7.5ish% easily available at the moment is a big discount by scooby dealer's historical standard :)

corradoboy 14 January 2004 01:51 PM

corradoboy
where did you get such a good deal
Beechdale in Derby. Played the old "Tins" gambit. Turns out they supply Tins, and so will match their price easily. Hopefully going to "come to an arrangement" on PPP, PD springs and possibly Trackstar offset on servicing costs.

http://www.beechdale.co.uk/

scoobynutta555 14 January 2004 02:33 PM

Remember similar threads about P1s when people were selling them after a short ownership.

Obviously if you buy a new car and expect to sell it after 2 years or less then you are going top take a big hit. These P1 owners were selling up and harping on about a 10k price depreciation. Well, I've kept a look at the prices of P1s and surprisingly they are pretty similar to the prices a year ago.

Moral of the story is don't buy new unless you are prepared for the obvious drop in its price. To get the full benefit of buying a new car, its best to hold on to it for several years before selling, as I intend on doing. Mines coming up for 3 years now, and expect it to be worth around 18-19k. Buying for £29,000 brand new thats a loss of £10,000 over 3 years, around the same loss as owners selling a 12 month old car (bought at full list price) 2 years ago.

JoeyDeacon 14 January 2004 02:53 PM

But are people REALLY paying £18-£19K for a 3 year old P1 when they can get a much newer STi7 for around the same price??

Learnt the hard way that buying a brand new car is the best way of burning money you can get although it has taken me 3 brand new cars to work this out!

Impreza hurt the most, MY00 paid full list (£21,309 with metallic paint) and sold for £12,650 2 years later. I think that works out at around a 40% loss over 2 years which hurt at the time but I guess is about right.

Even cars like the Porsche Boxster are supposed to retain 65% after 3 years which on a £35K car is a loss of £12250.

The only new car we will be buying in future is the girlfriends car as she is happy with a brand new £7K shopping trolley that we can just part exchange every 3 years.

Buying a brand new, non prestige, expensive car is a mugs game as far as I am concerned. When you are buying your new car look at the second hand examples on the forecourt and take off £3-£4K and you will arrive at the price you will be offered come part-ex time.

scoobynutta555 14 January 2004 03:06 PM

yes they are. A mate of mine recently bought one for £20k

simontaylor 14 January 2004 03:08 PM

RIGHT EVERY **** GO OUT AND BUY A £500 SECONHAND FIESTA

stanmo 14 January 2004 03:26 PM

Why's everyone selling so quickly ?

It's always cheaper to fix/upgrade an older car, than fund the motor industry depreciation racket.

I wouldn't trade in every 2-3 years out of principle; because of the way the market works.

Yes, I know that cars have parts that wear out after a few years (suspension bushes), or barely adequate standard equipment (fuel pump) and suboptimal exhausts (:)); but it's cheaper to fix these than lose several grand for the sake of vanity and ego.

I'm happy with my 'owned from new' MY99; may not grip or handle like the latest hatch from Ford/Honda/Mitsi but still makes me smile.

Y'all a bunch of big girls :)

wakeboardar 14 January 2004 03:37 PM

What price for the buzz of picking up a brand new car

scoobynutta555 14 January 2004 04:23 PM

I agree with Stan. I aim to keep my car for at least 5 years, and to be honest nothing in the subaru range appeals to me at the moment.

Undoubtably things will go wrong with my car due to its increasing age, but i still have several months of official warranty left, and the option of extending it for a further 2 years.

I can keep a brand new car for up to 5 years with official warranty. And after this period is up, I'll have to foot the bill of any repairs. The most expensive being several thousand for a new engine. This sum and considerably more would be swallowed up purchasing a UK new car with no 'prestige' value, ie. a current sti in the UK range, and I do include the WR1 in this group.

Not aimed at anyone specific here, but I find it amusing when people buy new Subaru Imprezas, and then sell as soon as the next best thing comes along, then start moaning about depreciation on here.

Andy Porter 14 January 2004 05:01 PM

Fastfrank, spot on m8 :)

I'm glad its not just me who has to put up with boring feckers at work thinking I'm a wasteful fool :D

I pulled into work on a new motorbike yesterday, some of them wont speak to me now :eek:

Graybr 14 January 2004 06:31 PM

lets face it peeps new car prices are ridiculous anyway, ill be keeping mine for at least 4 years (MY96 WRX) then buying another import, i refuse to buy new and lose so much money so cheers guys ;) keep on buying new, your saving me a packet!! (BIG bullet proof vest on by the way :) )

[Edited by Graybr - 1/14/2004 6:33:43 PM]

simontaylor 14 January 2004 08:11 PM

Buying new is expensive but thats the price to pay if you want a car that is brand spank, no previous owners and to some people it is worth it.

The best value for money scoob is without a doubt a jap spec grey import WRX, hi spec, plenty bhp, I looked at a few at eastcalder motor company and they where imaculate, 12 months parts and labour warranty any inspection welcome check out their website

fastfrank 14 January 2004 08:31 PM

Hi Andy, Thanks for backing me up m8... i was begininng to think no one had read my post..lol.

Theres a couple of guys at my workplace who get really jealous... but I'm past worrying now. They've had their chance to have fast cars but opted for marriage etc and b1tch about it everyday. I find too many people judge us by their own standards these days and its not on!

BTW, what bike you bought?

Cheers
Frank