ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   How strong is the 6-speed (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/289606-how-strong-is-the-6-speed.html)

Denmark 11 January 2004 10:12 PM

I payed 1800£ for mine in new condition,driven 1800miles,inlc.STI 7 propshaft and complete shiftlinkade.

Skassa

911 11 January 2004 10:29 PM

I hill climb against an Audi short wheelbase Quattro. It weighs just 1000Kg and 800bhp at the flywheel. Runs on avon hill climb slicks 10 inches wide and cuts the 64 ft marker in a best of 1.78 secs...NOTHING is quicker off the line to 64 feet. Cannot see a Scooby at 1.250Kg and 500bhp getting below that? Maybe Santa Pod startline is that much grippier?

Friend has a TEG gearset and locked 2 gears at once (dog box) but they have a mod in there now and all is well. Don't think it was a Modena box though.

Anyone drive a dog box on the road? Is it as murderous as I think?
So, sounds like a 6 speeder @ £2.5K, shortened prop and other sorting out, say £500, then adapting the diff to the classic's rear sub frame which sounds hard to me as I can see the half shafts not fitting (etc) = about £3.5K max. True?

The dog box gives clutchless changes up the box, and in hill climbs you change gear a lot, about 16 times in a 60 second run. must save about .25 sec every time over a clutch change, but only up the box so I save 2 secs. I would need some 350/400 bhp to get that kind of result, maybe even more!

Strikes me the gearset in the RA box is the simplest solution, but just who DOES make a box that is bullet proof?

This could be an expensive season.....

Graham.

Mike555 12 January 2004 07:26 PM

I am still looking for one, do somebody know where i can get it, for a cheap price?

Pavlo 12 January 2004 08:09 PM

You will not save 2 seconds of elapsed time by removing 2 seconds of gear change time. Unless of course your car is normally stationary for split second while you change gear. Mine normall y moves at a fairly steady speed while I change gear not losing much time at all.

Paul

M0NEY 12 January 2004 08:12 PM

Mike555 they are very rare at the moment and impossible to get hold of!

Ive tried most people in the UK with no luck.

Best bet is to try breakers in Japan but i dont know of any? I know they are there, but dont know sites :(

Mark A 12 January 2004 08:24 PM

I know of a whole STi 7 for sale, post crash in Japan.

The same company have just started selling parts, maybe you could e-mail them about a Gbox ?

Mark A

ustolemyname??stevieturbo 12 January 2004 09:21 PM

911, I see no reason why a 1.8s 60ft shouldnt be easily achievable. Ive seen several 4wd cars do it, both at Elvington, and even at Crail which is a very slippy surface, and all on totally road legal tyres. Not track day specials.
There are also a few well set up 2wd cars ( albeit on soft compound road tyres ) that are doing around 1.7s.

911 12 January 2004 10:33 PM

Ok Paul, take your point about the changes, but you do 'loose' a bit every time you change. You loose even more when you change from 3rd to 2nd from 7000 rpm, braking and steering for a hairpin and end up in 4th. Sti quickshift change can be a pain... Did anyone see the new TEG Group A shifter at the Autosport stand?
Anybody with a known bulletproof box?
I've tried to better 2.1 start for 10 years. Are you sure about the way the light beam is triggered at a drag race? On a hill climb you start when you are ready, NOT when the lights change. We time to 1/100 sec. There is no reaction time of the driver. Can you pull sub 2.00 secs consistantly?
Graham.

Bob Rawle 12 January 2004 11:03 PM

Thanks JB, thats about what I thought, its a std Sti8 body/trim however they do remove the rear wing when sprinting it, otherwise its driven on the road normally (as normally as you can over there)It runs on V-Power.

With regard to timing beams, all the guys over there tape up their wheels, least the side that the beam is going to hit, they found that without it they suffered from inaccuracies. Basically they use duck or masking tape and infill the whole of the wheel surface within the rim, looks tat but seems to solve several problems. The driver regularly makes 1.7's for the 60ft, if he gets a 1.9 he has had a bad run.

bob

Ice555 12 January 2004 11:09 PM

A few information of the Icelandic STi8 555. The car weight is 1400 kg without the rear spoiler when raced. With the driver (Gulli) the total weight is 1490 kg. The engine in the car is a standard 2,o ltr. We are using standard STi 6 speed gearbox. The car was launched with full power more than 70 times last summer. Everything in the car has been 110% reliable. Thanks to Matt Clark at RCM and Bob Rawle and the driver. On the following website you can see and get some pictures of the car and also from Iceland: http://community.webshots.com/user/halldorjonsson
I have also put information of the drag result on this website: http://www.scoobymile.com/
I welcome any comments.
Halldór

[Edited by Ice555 - 1/12/2004 11:13:02 PM]

[Edited by Ice555 - 1/13/2004 12:35:41 AM]

911 13 January 2004 08:23 PM

Back to the 64 feet times at the starts. In hill climbing you have a vertical 'blade' fitted to the front of the car defining a reliable leading edge to the vehicle. You are staged to a light beam trigger and held there stationary, usually by the start line marshals. The 'course clear' green light comes on and you start after that in your own time. At 64 feet there are a matching set of beams which are 'cut' by the blade. Very accurate. 2.1 secs is bloody good on List Ia road tyres. My 230 bhp 911 would regularly clock 2.2/2.1 secs, and my best Scooby time is 2.09 now I look at the results.1000Kg 911/230 bhp verses 1250Kg Sti/314 bhp.
Graham.