ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Valve Audio-philes (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/267366-valve-audio-philes.html)

Luke 04 November 2003 08:03 PM

Pc

you know what..your right..they can be a bit rude.. The cornflake shop is well cool. All jeans and trainers..If you know what i mean. Its full of the most amazing selection of hifi I have ever seen. Wait until you go downstairs...Upstairs is full of junk.

New Hifi shop very close to Spiterfields Market looks interesting.

hades 04 November 2003 08:24 PM

That last link reminds me, the Audiophysic speakers, at least from the "virgo" upwards (which is all I've heard) would probably work great with valves - every time I've heard them, they seem remarkably transparent and show up all the features of the partnering electronics (all IMHO again). Admittedly, they aren't cheap, especially if you go into Caldera territory (5 figures IIRC)

NotoriousREV 04 November 2003 10:39 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I shall be following links, doing some research and keeping an eye out on eBay ;)

Just wanted to comment on the comment that I wasn't being fair on transistor technology by comparing my Bose to valve amp stuff: I'm well aware that Bose isn't very well regarded by some people, but for the money, and having listened to a lot of systems, some in my own home, none sounded as good as the Bose, to me at least. Again, for the price of a pair of 57's and a Stereo 20, there isn't a transistor set-up that could come close, or if there is, let me know ;)

Luke 04 November 2003 10:55 PM

Bose

1/4 of the music is missing. It realy isnt hifi

NotoriousREV 05 November 2003 08:58 AM

Yeah, but they don't sell it as a music system, it's a "home theater" system, which it also sucks at ;)

Luke 05 November 2003 09:35 AM

Looks very nice though!!

NotoriousREV 05 November 2003 09:55 AM

I wonder if I could plug my Wharfedale Laserline's in instead of the Cube thingies? I've only had the thing 5 years, you'd think I'd have thought of that sooner :rolleyes: ;)

civictyper 05 November 2003 10:59 AM

FWIW I quite like the Bose cubes. Heard them for the first time round a mates and thought they were pretty good. Nice spacious sound.

Judging by the cost of the Quads/Leak stuff (£500?) I don't reckon you're going to get a lot else to match it (providing they've been looked after). Electrostatics are truely awesome IMO.

Alternatively you could go for something like a Sugden A21a or John Shearne Phase 2 which both have a warm, rich sound. Allied to a pair of old Spendors, KEF's or Rogers BBC style monitors you would have a very nice setup.

civictyper 05 November 2003 11:03 AM

I wonder if I could plug my Wharfedale Laserline's in instead of the Cube thingies? I've only had the thing 5 years, you'd think I'd have thought of that sooner
Just out of interest what's your current setup ?

NotoriousREV 05 November 2003 11:11 AM

Currently active is just my Bose Lifestyle 5.

"In stock" I have a pair of Wharfedale Laserline speakers, AIWA XC-700 CD player, Sony TC-WR770 tape deck and (don't laugh it sounds pretty good and is a family heirloom) Amstrad EX333 Executive Reciever with a dodgy volume pot.

I plan to use the CD and tape decks with a decent pre-amp to feed a Stereo 20 and ESL's.