ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Car Physics Question from the Pub?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/244575-car-physics-question-from-the-pub.html)

Fuzz 28 August 2003 05:16 PM

I was just about to say that mungo :D ;)

Andy

Fuzz 28 August 2003 05:18 PM

Steve, not sure where the universe ends... but apparently it's getting closer :eek:
(they think the universe is shrinking due to not enough new stars being born to keep it stable / growing !

Andy

Nikko2 28 August 2003 05:24 PM

Wasnt from lat night Yoza.

Sure Zippy will be on before long to set us straight.

*Cino* 28 August 2003 05:25 PM

Nick PLEASE don't do another one! 1 was enough you boffin! :D

EvilBevel 28 August 2003 06:07 PM

There's a rather long thread about just this very topic here :
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/sh...5&pagenumber=1

Including webbie and the aforementioned Mycroft, a special appearance of a Prodrive engineer and lots of confusion :) Still worth a read though if you can sift through the more "personal" quibbles...

Takes a while to read :eek: and you won't remember if you were in group 1 or group 2 after reading it :D

AndyC_772 28 August 2003 06:19 PM

Trouble here is that school maths lessons make the approximation that dynamic friction = mu * R, where R is the reaction between road and tyres, and mu is a constant which depends on the materials used.

For an object in circular motion, such as a car going round a corner, the force required to accelerate the car towards the centre of the bend is m(v^2)r, where m is the mass of the car, v is its velocity and r is the radius of the bend.

This force is the friction exerted on the car by the road, so:

mu*R = m(v^2)r

R is the weight of the car = m * g, where g is the acceleration due to gravity,

so, mu * m * g = m(v^2)r

...and mass cancels out. It also leads to the curious result that although a car would have more weight on a larger planet, it would actually be able to corner faster!

Thing is, friction at the tyres doesn't really just depend on the rubber compound and road surface - in practise the mass of the car does matter. So, group 1 probably has the better understanding of the problem, but group 2 is actually right.

chiark 28 August 2003 06:51 PM

Theo, I'm off to get some strong coffee... Cheers for that :D

EvilBevel 28 August 2003 06:57 PM

:D :D

Weird thread, but I learned from it, believe it or not.

Although that pesky "it's way over your head" feeling never went away ;)

Edit: didn't teach me to spell mind :rolleyes:

[Edited by EvilBevel - 8/28/2003 6:58:45 PM]

Dazza012 28 August 2003 07:16 PM

Anyone for a beer ?????

chiark 28 August 2003 07:40 PM

Daz, you're talking sense :D

Sprint Chief 28 August 2003 09:35 PM

I'm going to disagree with everyone ;)

F = mu x R is a model designed for rigid objects and smooth surfaces, and is totally inappropriate for tyre against road. So I'll start by ignoring that.

A better model to use for tyres, which are capable of deforming to the shape of the road, is to imagine the tyre as a load of little tyrette blocks, all working together.

As the tyre deforms over the road, each little block has an amount of pressure applied to it, based on the mass of the vehicle divided by the contact patch area.

The heavier car can achieve the same level of pressure on each bit of the tyre by using a tyre with a larger contact patch, either by having a larger radius tyre or a wider tyre.

In this way each bit of the tyre is working equally on both vehicles, and generating the same level of lateral force. The total lateral force is equal to the sum of the bits.

So the answer is group 1 is correct, in steady state cornering the two cars will corner independently of mass, as long as they are both wearing the right sized rubber. :D Best not say that in America though, they get terribly confused.

The fatter tyre also helps to dissipate the greater heat generated by shifting a fatter car around the corner.

This isn't the end of the story, it is waaaaay more complicated, but I've already exceeded the limit of my knowledge :) Where's that beer I was promised?

Members of AMOC will bear witness to one-and-a-half tons of British muscle cornering every bit as quick as stripped out civic type R's ;) :)

chiark 28 August 2003 09:51 PM

what we need is a practical experiment... involving small model cars and lots of beer...

Sprint Chief 28 August 2003 09:59 PM

Sounds like a great idea!

I've got the beer, what do I do next? ;) :D

ex-webby 29 August 2003 10:05 AM

Hi All

What a great thread :)

As I've done about 30 pages of this on GTR, I'll try to narrow this down to bullet points.

- Mass DOES come in to it
- A lighter car can be accelerated in any direction easier than a heavier one
- Tyres are not just solid friction objects, they bend, skew, distort, twist, mould, etc so their "limit lateral acceleration" (what most of us would term as "maximum cornering grip") is not a function of it's frictional properties alone.
- Doubling the load on a tyre less than doubles the grip it can produce (for the pedants among us (:)) - "assuming a realistic operational load for a working tyre"). This means that a heavier car has less grip available as a proportion of it's mass.

Hope that helps :)

All the best

Simon

Nikko2 29 August 2003 12:12 PM

:D