ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Sport (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/)
-   -   Mountain Biking (https://www.scoobynet.com/sport-35/196017-mountain-biking.html)

MarkO 16 April 2003 10:54 PM

I used to have a CamelBack 5-6 years ago, but after 3 years unused in the garage I decided it was a health hazard - beyond the possibilities of even sterilizing tablets - so binned it. :eek:

Know what you mean about the energy drinks. I stock up on Lucozade Sport from CostCo (12 bottles for about 7 quid) and use a bottle and a half on each ride. Makes a massive difference to my stamina (although as I'm getting fitter I'm ending up with more and more left over at the end of a ride). :D

austen_wrx 17 April 2003 10:39 AM

I use the Sport in Science powder stuff that you mix with water in the camelback, and its superb, really does make a difference. A group of us have been to morzine a couple of time, the first time we drove through the night, arrived at 10am, then went and did a 20mile ride, myself and 1 other overdosed on the stuff and were flying ,the other 2 just had water and were absolutly f*cked! I used to drink 3 cans of red ball before playing football, which did the same sort of thing but it made me really aggressive!

Crapaud62 17 April 2003 05:21 PM

Hi Guys, I'm back.

Had a great week in UK.

Found some good rides near Bude in Cornwall last week. Very good MB shop "Don't push it".

Been in Wales last few days. Nice ride last night near Barry and past Cardiff airport. Too hot to ride mid day but great in early evening. Bikes are still in Cardiff as my Pajero blew up half way across the bridge and I've dumped it in Wales. I had to fly back to Jersey and leave all the Cannondales at my sister-in-laws. Told her not to sell them while I'm away and to keep her garage locked.

I'll have to use my boring old road bike here in Jersey until I get them back.

Agree with post about energy drinks. I mix up the High 5 stuff. Good trick with the camelback bladders is to put them in the deep freeze the night before a big ride. Great feeling having an ice cold block against your back and very cold drink all day. Or am I just weird?

MarkO 17 April 2003 07:40 PM

So basically a large sack of slush puppy on your back? Sounds like a superb idea to me. :D

Crapaud62 18 April 2003 04:44 PM

Forgot to mention.

Bought my own mountain biking site. :D

Found a farm in Devon that comes with a 12 acre workland. Will make a fantastic mountain biking course. Includes a stream that runs through and some steep climbs and jumps. Thought of building some North Shore type wooden bridges etc.

Once I've moved in I'll invite a few other MTBers around to try it out.

The wife thinks its a good woodland for riding horses but I reckon we can both enjoy our hobbies here.

Ciaran 18 April 2003 06:19 PM

iv got a scott pro racing and a saracen addiction and a scott road the insurance valued the lot at 7k madness now all i need is a car.

Franx 20 April 2003 03:21 PM

There's a bloody good bit of mountain biking to be had around Aberdeen. My Trek is slightly screwed up at the moment - chain keeps on skipping, and I can't get it sorted. It's got new chain, and nearly new rear cassette. Any ideas?
Any bikers up here?

MarkO 20 April 2003 05:30 PM

BTW, if anyone's interested in doing something a bit more competitive next weekend, I'll be entering the Fun (3 laps) bit in this race series. It's only a bit of fun (I'm by no means 'elite' or 'expert') but it should be a bit of a laugh. :D

Luke 21 April 2003 06:15 PM

Anyone got access to cheap supply of Shram chains (9 speed) ????

Ciaran 23 April 2003 10:02 AM

FRANX u need a new chainset just buy a whole new one dont muck about changing rings.

My saracen is getting sorted after a small accident.

Ciaran 23 April 2003 11:34 AM

is their any downhill events in the dundee area??

MarkO 23 April 2003 11:54 AM

To compete in, or to watch? :D

There's a Dundee (Sidlaws) round of the one linked to above on the 25th May.

Check out the British Cycling website.

These are the ones I'm thinking of going to watch (Innerleithen & Glentress are just round the corner from me):

National XC & DH: August 16-17 Innerleithen
International DH: June 1 Fort William, Scotland
Scotland XC: April 27 Glentress, Peebles (which I'm doing the fun event on Sunday)
Scotland XC: May 25 Sidlaws, Dundee
Scotland DH: April 13 Innerleithen

Franx 23 April 2003 03:56 PM

Ciaran, it's got a new chainset, but the thing's still skipping. Time for a new bike, I think. Not another Trek anyway....

AliWrx Mk2 23 April 2003 08:49 PM

No MTB'ers in Nottingham then?
:rolleyes:

Ali

How about Derby?

Ciaran 24 April 2003 12:40 AM

well franx make a list of of the componantry u have replaced and then i should be able to work it out

Franx 24 April 2003 12:42 PM

Cerian
Replaced chainset in Feb 03
Rear cassette & back wheel - Oct 02
Chain - March 03
Rear mech - Feb 03
Front mech - March 03

An' it's still screwed. I know I should have replaced chain and rear mech at the same time, but chain broke in feb, and I didn't want to get another cassette. Maybe that's it - wearing out at different rates?

Thanks pal.

Chris.

Ciaran 24 April 2003 01:13 PM

what make are all the parts because if they are different this may be the problem. catch u this evening ok
ciaran

Franx 25 April 2003 02:19 PM

Ciaran

Rear cassette is a shimano Altus, I think.
Chain is the same.
Chainset is LX Shimano.
Rear mech is Altus, as is front mech.

Thanks for the help.

Chris.

Luke 25 April 2003 02:51 PM

"Altus".............. thats the problem. You need to get "Deore" or "LX" stuff

Luke 25 April 2003 03:01 PM

http://upload.turbosport.co.uk/getpi...5759412426.JPG

At last Its back......... Bloody british bike shops.They must learn from the yanks how to service bikes!!!Got to do the bedding in of the brakes this weekend.Not stopping too good at the moment!!

flat4 25 April 2003 04:03 PM

i've heard alot of nasty stuff about the teeth snapping off on the middle rings on the LX chainsets, no idea if they addressed the problem with the latest batchs though

kev :)

flat4 25 April 2003 04:07 PM

Is anybody after a Saracen Addiction frame (2000 model) 19" i think, brand new sat in my loft doing nothing, also got a brand new Stratos Helix Pro DH rear shock doing the same :rolleyes: might have to put them on ebay i think :D

kev :)

Marin 29 April 2003 10:40 PM

Got to get this back up on top of the footy posts:-)

Anyone doing a 24 hour event this year? I'm doing my first soon in a team of four and really looking forward to it although not sure what to expect and how tired I'll be at the end...

Ciaran 29 April 2003 11:28 PM

well not sure but the guy may be right about the altus but i recommend u spend a tenner and leave it to a bike shop tto get it diognosed.

MarkO 30 April 2003 10:37 AM

Marin, the guy I ride with is trying to persuade me to a 24-hour race in September. I'm not totally convinced about the idea - sounds far too knackering! Having said that, it might be a bit of a laugh. Mind you, considering my result in the 'Open (3 laps)' race last Saturday (29th out of 39 :eek:) I need to do a fair amount of training before we're going to be competitive. :D

Franx 30 April 2003 12:03 PM

I might just get rid of it, and buy a new bike. Had enough of that one...
I sdidn't hear about the LX chainset problems. It's not a new one anyway. I got it on the cheap, as it was a new one from a few years ago.

Enough of that anyway.
Happy biking everyone.

Ciaran 30 April 2003 03:51 PM

anybody ever done the Devils Staircase on the west coast near Oban? must be the best ride i have ever had (on a bike that is of course).
Anybody else on here ever been fined for no lights apart from me?
i got a £30 fixed penalty. suppose it could have been worse cos i was under the influance and on the phone at the time.

Ciaran 30 April 2003 03:53 PM

BTTT

MarkO 30 April 2003 04:11 PM

Not done the Devil's Staircase - although one of the guys I ride with has, and said it was superb. :D

Never been 'done' (on a bike), but I never ride on the road. Too much contempt for roadies to risk being considered one. ;)

Luke 30 April 2003 08:40 PM

Birthday today.................40!! Wife got me a Minoura W300 bike work stand!! brilliant,last stand was a bag of poo.