ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   STI7 UK + ECUTEK - What car Next????? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/192295-sti7-uk-ecutek-what-car-next.html)

Deep Singh 30 March 2003 08:57 AM

Hi Dave.Will be in a very similar situation myself in the next six months.Been promoted and the bright blue Scoob with gold wheels,spoiler etc just does'nt look right in the car park!(LOL).
Thinking hard about the M3,but d'ont like the image,also used to the security of 4wd now.Considering a 1)996 Turbo LHD,but they sell for £60k so still about £15k over budget and massive running costs.2)LHD 355 are about £45k for a 98/99 model,but can I use it everyday,and will it attract to much attention? 3)Maybe an Audi RS4,apparantly can be tweaked from 380 BHP to 450 BHP quite easily.Means I w'ont have to run two cars,and get 4wd but am I too young for an estate?
I'll be test driving the 355 in the next few months hopefully.Never driven a 996 Turbo either! Somehow I think running costs/attention/needing a second car will put me off.
Anyway,I'm sure that was of no help whatsoever,good luck!

mccltd 30 March 2003 08:34 PM

Hi Deep,

Test drove both the M3 Coupe and Convertible this weekend both with the SMG box.
Was very surprised in the difference in handling between them both.
Found the Coupe a lot nicer to driver, seemed to be more comfortable aswell not a bone shaker like the convertible.
The SMG does need getting used to, but was a lot of fun.
Still find that now the Scoob has the ECUTEK on it, it pulled better than the BMW but then it could be down to the fact the BM doesn't have the throaty exhaust which gives more assumption of power.
I/m est driving another Coupe on Tuesday so will see what that holds in the choice as to whether keep the STI7 with just over 300lbs of torque or go for the M3.
I was going to sell the STI anyway after 2 years but the way the STI8 is making it depreciate in value I want to get rid of it now.
The depreciation is only whats pushing me to change,,BMW offered me £18,000 for it,,a £30,000 car with the mods.
Have been trying to find something other than the BMW, but would like the 4 seat option and reaching 35 need a bit of comfort.
Dont like Porshe build quality or TVR, and would hate the servicing costs.

So will wait and see.

DAve

[Edited by mccltd - 3/30/2003 9:36:10 PM]

Deep Singh 30 March 2003 09:00 PM

Hi Dave.Autocar wrote very bad things about the lack of structural rigidity of the M3 convertible.Check out www.quattrosports.co.uk.450 BHP costs about £4k.

mccltd 31 March 2003 06:27 AM

Thanks Deep,

Nice power,,shame it's an estate.

Can the M3 do you know be upgraded with power?

Old_Fart 31 March 2003 07:19 AM

You can get the M3 superchipped (LOL honestly) but N/A cars don't respond like turbo'd cars to that.
Have you seen an RS4 in the flesh? In Green or wide-boy Nogoro blue they don't look like an estate car, they are quite obviously sportscars :)
Our carpark is chocka with Ferrari's/Porkers/M3's and Masers...I sometimes park the 22 there just to wind them up, I earn more than 75% of them LOL...wbankers generally don't understand anything but badges...their loss not mine, saying that they don't drive their cars anywhere but up Embankment and the Kings road so they suit their habitat.
Chuck

Deep Singh 01 April 2003 06:35 PM

Hi Dave.Tuning the M3 is very difficult unless you are prepared to spend £10k upwards.I once rang Birds(major BMW tuner) when I was toying with buying a M5 and thats the sort of money they were talking about for not much gain.A carbon fibre induction kit to add 8 BHP cost close to £2k! What colour are you thinking about buying?
Old fart,we actually agree on something ie RS4,whatever next?