ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Horses! and cyclists! (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/191366-horses-and-cyclists.html)

Butkus 25 March 2003 02:24 PM

I agree with Mungo. You have to ride assuming everyone will potentially run you over. There is definitely a lot of hatred towards cyclists in my experience. I have had water sprayed at me numerous times, and have also been spat on by passing car drivers before. Then there are all the comments that get shouted at you - not all of them bad admittedly ;)

FollowThrough 25 March 2003 02:34 PM

the number of cyclist that don't wait at junctions but simple 'merge' into the traffic amazes me

many also jump lights

BOB.T 25 March 2003 03:08 PM

Cycling 4ft into the road is aking to get run over, IMO:)

If you're assuming everyone is gonna knock you off, surely you should be avoiding confrontation?:confused:

You don't see the little tin pot cars on trackdays hogging the centre of the track so that the faster cars don't rattle their door handles off do you.

Butkus 25 March 2003 03:20 PM

You have to ride with confidence that's what I mean. That means keeping people behind you that would otherwise come by and run you into the ditch. Obviously this is only in some cases such as when the road narrows or when approaching pedestrian islands in the middle of the road. Remember that a lot of people aren't aware of what they're doing when they're driving - they're on the phone, tending to the kids, or putting a CD in. It's difficult to explain what I am getting at with words, you have to try cycling 100 miles/week for a few years. You'd do the same.

Many Humbug Returns 25 March 2003 03:25 PM

That was an excellent story Tiggers. Serves the sod right.

I cycle and drive daily. It is about people's personality and good manners and common sense at the end of the day , whatever mode of transport one uses.

I find pedestrians wandering out in front are one of the worst things when on the cycle, thwey dont hear you coming and dont bother to look.

Diablo 25 March 2003 03:26 PM

Crowt123.

Nicely put :rolleyes:

Nothing like continuing a "debate" or "discussion" with the phrase "stop being a prat".

That was mature. Oh, so you did cycling proficiency. You must be an expert on road safety then.?

Oh,perhaps not>

room but when i see a club and they are riding 2 and 3 abreast with no consideration to motorists then bollox to the room.
And I suppose when you sat your driving test they told you it was ok to have that approach :rolleyes:

If you want to be taken seriously, don't post like a child.

D

SiDHEaD 25 March 2003 03:27 PM

With regard to giving space when overtaking, when you pass a car, yes you're on the other side of the road - but consider how far away from that car you are. And there's the people on here saying "give as much space as you give a car".

If the road is clear, fine i'll go right over the other side - but if it isn't then as long as there is a few feet (as when overtaking a car) it must be ok to pass.

In conclusion, giving the same space you give a car, you do not need to go over to the otherside of the road. ;)

Andy