ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   CD sale at HMV........... (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/182650-cd-sale-at-hmv.html)

chiark 03 March 2003 09:54 AM

Whilst I agree Vinyl sounds superior, for most people CDs sound better
Get a decent CD player. I'm using a fairly humble Rega (yes, the vinyl people) Planet CD player and I prefer to vinyl. Although I never spent a fortune on a decent deck, I still prefer CD reproduction on that kit. it's a warm sound, not harsh..

Toonman1 03 March 2003 10:35 AM

"Get a decent CD player"

I've got an Arcam transport and DAC, and am very happy with the sound from CD. I reckon for the £1300 it cost me, it gives about 90% of the performance of my Linn deck, and that's over £5K now. With Hi-Fi, the law of diminishing returns arrives quickly.

Cheers

ProperCharlie 03 March 2003 10:49 AM

The first CD player that I thought sounded better than my Linn Axis deck (£250 second hand) has my meridian 588, which was nearly 10x as expensive. A well set up second hand deck with a decent cartridge (Dynavector 10x MkII in my case) and a decent phono stage (like trichord dino, £300) IMNSHO will give a lot of mid price cd players a good run for their money, and will simply be a lot better than any budget cd player.

Also this stuff about pirating and file swapping killing the music industry - what a load of boll*cks. Next SmithKline Beechmam are going to be saying that cheap unbranded drugs are killing the pharmacutical industry. Heart Bleeding over here.

(whas a phone stage?)

[Edited by ProperCharlie - 3/3/2003 10:52:22 AM]

Toonman1 03 March 2003 10:57 AM

"pirating and file swapping"

So what is it doing then? Increasing legitimate sales? Encouraging the signing of new artists?

Now I'm no musician, but as a Professional Photographer, I've had my images ripped off several times. Breach of Copyright is theft, and has cost me money. I had one company wound up because of it.

ProperCharlie 03 March 2003 11:07 AM

All I'm saying is:

i)It's been going on since recording equipemnet was invented and the music industry has always seemed to "struggle on" in any case

ii)The music industry is controlled by 4 or so international companies - I do not feel in the slightest bit sorry for them losing a few million quid cos of pirating.

Personally, cos I'm a hi-fi snob, i never touch pirated music, mp3 or other sh*te like that. Sound quality is too poor. Having said that, often Sony et al cannot be bothered to properly record or produce the records that they release anyway, so the sound quality is still sh*te. How come Jazz producers in the '50s and '60s could make well recorded and produced records, but 40 years later, with DAT and all the rest of it, it can't be done? Mind you, most of the music is so bad that decent production values would make it even harder to listen to... ok? [/rant]

:)

Toonman1 03 March 2003 11:14 AM

"I'm a hi-fi snob"

That's two of us then Charlie! :)

Cheers

ProperCharlie 03 March 2003 11:17 AM

Ahh, harmony restored ;)

Pass us my van den Hull interconnet and slippers would ya?

Crush 03 March 2003 11:20 AM

There's nothing wrong with being fussy about your sound.

I'm having to use a cheaper stereo since all my other gear is packed up. The sound is so crap, it has all this 'Pop/Rock/Club...' eq settings instead of a proper eq. What a load of sh!t. I had to unpack my CD deck before I could listen to anything :eek:

Thankfully it wont be long till I have all my stuff set up again :D

Toonman1 03 March 2003 11:20 AM

"van den Hull interconnet and slippers"

What they do slippers too??? See you later (heading off to the dealer now). Hope they've got my size! :)

Cheers