ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Clapton Vs Hendrix (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/181693-clapton-vs-hendrix.html)

Crush 26 February 2003 01:56 PM

I doubt people would appreciate him as much if he was still alive & making records.

Artists are constantly trying to better themselves & end up doing something stupid & returning to their roots after a failure of an LP. Also, peoples expectations of him would have more than likely became too high :eek:

brickboy 26 February 2003 01:57 PM

Mattstant -- the incident was right, but it was at Monterey. Apparently Hendrix and the Who were discussing which was going on after the other ... Hendrix said, no problem, you can go on after me, then proceeded to do his set-fire-to-the-guitar trick :D

muppet paster 26 February 2003 02:40 PM

Okay, i forgot Green! But I still can't see why Clapton is revered as he is. A good player yes, but great? I've never been convinced. He has a habit of creating a stunning riff/lick and then using it to death. Take 'Layla' as an example, great riff, sick to death of it by the end of the song! Sunshine of you Love', 'Cocaine', etx, etc,

Can't think of a single Clapton tune that could move me as much as just the intro to 'Little Wing'.

paulr 26 February 2003 02:46 PM

Clapton :)

muppet paster 26 February 2003 02:59 PM

There's a red house over yonder,
That's where my bay sits in the corner...

muppet paster 26 February 2003 03:02 PM

Okay, can't denigh that, SRV close second to Hendrix as a blues man! :D

So, Vai or Joe Sat? :D

Pupil or master? :D

Badger Stuffer 26 February 2003 03:07 PM

Via was a pupil of the legendary Frank Zappa.

Sadly missed.

muppet paster 26 February 2003 03:41 PM

When Vai was 18, he took an 'apprenticeship' with Zappa, and before that he was a pupil of...

jaycee 26 February 2003 03:42 PM

Okay I'll get in first!

Top 10 Guitarists.

Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Angus Young
Slash
Pete Townshend
Ritchie Blackmore
Keith Richards
Stevie Ray Vaughan
John Fruiscante
Joe Perry

I should've turned it into a Top 20 or 30 cos I've missed loads of worthy names but these are the ones that have influenced me the most especially Angus Young in his early days!

:D
Jason

andrewdelvard 26 February 2003 03:43 PM

How rated, in the run of things, is Brian May from Queen? Highly? Same level as Clapton? What? Just wondering.

brickboy 26 February 2003 03:47 PM

Aren't we forgetting Nigel Tufnel?

"You're on ten, all the way across, and you want that little push to take you over the top. Where can you go? Nowhere ... exactly. These go up to 11."

muppet paster 26 February 2003 03:55 PM

"Why not just make 10 louder?"

Crush 26 February 2003 03:56 PM

My fave guitarist would probably be...

Clapton
Jimi
Mike Campbell
Keith Richards
Nick McCabe

Although I wouldn't exactly say that Jimi or Keith have directly influenced my style ;)

Does anyone else think that John Squire lost the plot a bit?

muppet paster 26 February 2003 04:09 PM

Kinda lost loads of intrest when all me gear got nicked! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] But still have to rince some of me old guitary stuff from time to time. Might at this rate, have to go and dig an old acoustic outta the loft this evening! ;)

jaycee 26 February 2003 04:10 PM

Nooooooooooo! Crush,

John Squire may have lost the plot but he hasn't lost the gift!

Jason

Crush 26 February 2003 04:13 PM

I agree, but listen to the LP version of The Seahorses 'Love is the law'. It's soooo cheesy! :eek:

muppet paster 26 February 2003 04:15 PM

I'll let ya know how sore my fingers are in the morning...:rolleyes:

jaycee 26 February 2003 04:22 PM

I've got some more!

Randy Rhodes
Zakk Wylde
Peter Green
Lyndsey Buckingham
Lenny Kravitz
Marc Bolan
Dave Navarro
George Harrison
B.B. King

Jason

terzo42 26 February 2003 06:57 PM

jimi over cackton anyone whose played for ozzy is gonna be good vai over satriani jase edwards(ex wolfsbane)is fastest ive seen live and bryan may would be better if he took his boxing gloves off :D

shug 26 February 2003 09:40 PM

Neal Schon - Eric Clapton asked him to join his band when Neal was only 15, but he chose to join Santana instead as EC was doing too much 'substances'

Ritchie Blackmore
Randy Rhoads
Jake E Lee
Bernie Torme
John Thomas (Budgie)
Wayne Hussey

C. Jay. k. 26 February 2003 09:57 PM

James Dean Bradfield

Micky Moody ( Whitesnake original lineup)

Funkii Munkii 22 July 2003 04:19 PM

Hendrix no contest :D

BMW bikes 22 July 2003 05:41 PM

A few months after Hendrix arrived in London the word spread that there was a hot shot new guitarist in town. Some people said he was almost as good as Clapton so one night both turned up on the same stage; I forget what club it was at but the place was so packed that some respected sixties musical stars where standing in the street looking in through the doorway. I can't remember exactly what happend but once hendrix started to play Eric just stopped and stood at the side of the stage watching the master at work completely out classed. Jimi new it Clapton new it and every person in that club new it Jimi is the Daddy.

BMW bikes 22 July 2003 05:42 PM

He also had a really big dick.

RichS 22 July 2003 08:28 PM

Hendrix :D

So, Vai or Joe Sat?
Pupil or master?
Has to be the master (Satch) ;)

andyr 22 July 2003 10:43 PM

Has to be Hendrix - listening to his stuff I find it hard to believe sometimews that it's just one guy as it sounds like there would need to be a lead guitarist plus rhythym guitarist. Clapton played white man's version of the blues, Hendrix revolutionised gutar playing, don't think the same can be said for Clapton, good that he was.