ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   A few Bedford videos (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/155465-a-few-bedford-videos.html)

fivepint 02 December 2002 04:20 PM

"Exccceelllent" in my best Mr Burns voice ;)

T5NYW 02 December 2002 04:55 PM

John,
The Full lap jobby :D:D and I was in the STi7 PPP'd pottling around the track in front of the Noble, part of my driver development :rolleyes: off course :D
And indicating nicely after passing the silver car to let you have a play on the last two bends. Same you were fully booked up all day and was unable to come out with you. I had to force John B and his dad to sit next to me :D

Tony

Slow but enjoying it :)

ADP 02 December 2002 05:02 PM

John,

Just wondering about the camera mount - is it ok on the heated rear screen??

I want one but dont wanna trash my screen elements

Andy

johnfelstead 02 December 2002 05:25 PM

maybe next time Tony, i tried to get as many people as poss out on a run, it's always tricky to fit everyone in unfortunately.

Dont worry about the camera mount damaging the heated element, it's buried inside the glass, the mount doesnt have that much suck. :D

Andrew Timmins 02 December 2002 06:00 PM

Hope you don't object John, I've put a copy of the sideways compilation on another server which should be quicker (I was getting about 4K on Broadband). If this is a problem post here or mail me and I'll delete it.

http://www.m161fhr.pwp.blueyonder.co...dsideways.mpeg

johnfelstead 02 December 2002 06:01 PM

Thanks Andrew, you are doing me a favour mate!

kotaro 02 December 2002 07:06 PM

wow john that's some driving skill! :O :O
the slide....oh the slide :O

amazing...truly amazing.

thanks for sharing those :D :)

Paulo P 02 December 2002 07:35 PM

I was in car with Gossy when he did that slide and he was impressed that he managed that infront of you John :D Very nice driving :)

Paul

DocJock 02 December 2002 10:50 PM

>>Saturday was all about being a loon in safe suroundings John, you cant get away with that at places like the ring, so i made the most of it.

I know John , first Bedford I've missed :(

Ring was great though, both days dry in the afternoons. 35-40 cars max in the car parks :D. No closures either.

mutant_matt 02 December 2002 11:07 PM

Where were you Doc? We missed ya! :)

DocJock 02 December 2002 11:23 PM

Confined to barracks Matt

was at the 'Ring the weekend before, hence no brownie points left :(

T5NYW 06 December 2002 09:39 PM

John,
I must try harder next time :D

P1Fanatic 07 December 2002 03:57 AM

Quick question JonF - how long does a set of tyres last you and are you sponsored by Goodyear/Toyo/Bridgestone*

Simon.

*Delete as appropriate

johnfelstead 07 December 2002 11:58 AM

i have 2 sets of wheels. My road tyres last a lot longer than most peoples, because i dont push them anything like close enough to get them sliding when i am on the road.

My track tyres wear depending on the track i am driving on, it varies considerably. At Elvington, on the ten of the best day, i took a set of SO2's down to the canvass just on the little sprint course, the surface was very abrasive and as it was low speed the wheelspin was quite severe.

The same tyres will last me 5 days on the nurburgring, as its mainly high speed precision driving with not a great amount of sliding, the track surface is quite slippy too.

Doing a UK trackday, a set will probably be fine for 3 days worth of flat out motoring.

This is all using Part Worn tyres to start with, as you dont want new tyres on a trackday, they chunk themselves pretty badly. This year i have only used 2 sets of part worn SO2's for everything i have done, and my road set look brand new.

It doesnt have to be expensive on tyres to do trackdays, the best investment you can make is to buy a second set of wheels, my second set cost me £200 for 5, they are not mint, but that doesnt matter as they are only on the car during the track sessions.

Brake pads, which is another big expense for most people doing track days cost me just £30 a set, these last 2 trackdays plus the road miles in between for a front set, rears last 5 days on track. Thats £30 for a set on AP 4 pots, you just have to know what to ask for. ;) I use MGF cup front pads, these are a special mintex compound made for the MGF cup race series, subsidised by MG, thats why they are so cheep. Rears cost me £60 a set, i use M1155 compound.

The only other real expense is oil, which at £40 a change including filter isnt a great deal of money if you do the changes yourself, which i do.

johnfelstead 07 December 2002 12:09 PM

daft as this may sound, its actually costing me less to drive my STi on track than it did my westfield, mainly due to tyre costs. I used to kill a set of rears in a day in summer, in 2 days in winter. Being the car it was, i had no choice but to buy new tyres as they had to be road legal (no room for spares in the boot :D) and at £110 each, that soon adds up. The only thing that is costing me more, is insuring the car, my westie was covered on the road policy, now i have to take out one off cover at £120 a pop. :eek: