ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Classic albums you've only just discovered (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/149230-classic-albums-youve-only-just-discovered.html)

XRS 11 November 2002 02:40 PM

Groundhogs.

Split.

Classic :D

I'll get me walking stick.

RichardPON 11 November 2002 02:45 PM

Thanks to my father, I rediscovered Status Quo.....

Fantastic stuff.... "Burning Bridges" rules!!!!!

SUNDAY DRIVER 11 November 2002 04:20 PM

Talk on corners,or indeed anything else by The Corrs is $hite.And thats not my opinion-thats a fact.

mista weava 11 November 2002 04:40 PM

big up sunday driver lol!
do any of you lot listen to anything remotely "underground"? or do you just leave that to musical snobs and nu-jazz wankers like myself! ;)

sorry but most of the main stream bores me to tears, as yet another overpaid producer presents reivented pop (pap??) as being at the cutting edge of music- go and buy yourself the "jazzanova" album "in between" for christ sakes! or Joseph Malik - any one heard of him?
all IMHO of course and not flaming anyone, i know how sensitive people can be about music! and i do love pink floyd esp dsotm - FAB one of my all time greats, chilli's aint to bad either.
weava

Wizzbang 11 November 2002 04:42 PM

I got Beth Orten's Central Reservation at the weekend having never heard it before. What a great album ! Also got Lifehouse - No Name Face, TOP

WizzBang

muppet paster 11 November 2002 05:29 PM

I'm quite happy to listern to most types of music, providing it's well done. Although country + western? never, ever will i understand.
The albums which i played to death after not expecting to like are Joni Mitchell - Hissing of Summer Lawns and Kate Bush - Never Forever, both great!

mattstant 11 November 2002 05:45 PM

since buying an mp3 disc player for the car i have been rediscovering all sorts but by far the best is The Red Album by Grand funk Railroad.
had never heard of them till someone played me "inside looking out" about ten years ago.

been downloading all my old ac/dc albert productions import albums as well Classss stuff.

ShAnNo_RB5 11 November 2002 05:50 PM

Let me furnish you with some of the best top tips you'll get this century: -

PURESSENCE - Only Forever: 'It doesn't matter anymore' is one of the best tracks ever made IMO.

ELO - Discovery: 'I need her love', WOW! Not a dry eye in the house...

DAVEY ARTHUR & THE FUREYS - Best Of: Especially on Remembrance Day, 'The Green Fields of France' is a magical ballad about WWI.

EMINEM - Slim Shady LP: if you've never heard 'Guilty Conscience' then get ready to hear about moral dilemmas in real life today...

If you want variety, come and see my CD collection - from Rolf Harris and Burt Bacharach to Breakbeats and Thrash...

Ain't life's tapestry rich!

Steve vRS 11 November 2002 07:34 PM

Pulp, His n Hers
Blur, Modern Life is Rubish
Sleeper, Smart
Carter USM, 30 Something

Stick them on and I'm back in Leeds at Uni. Tear in the eye job ;)

Steve

Little Miss WRX 11 November 2002 08:04 PM

New CD (By The Way) brilliant but totally different to the old stuff which is more 'Funk Rock'...
I agree totally, the RHCP's are awesome :D
I have a couple more albums to get before I have the full collection :D

Mice_Elf 11 November 2002 08:15 PM

Soooo sorry.... ;)

pslewis 11 November 2002 08:27 PM

Rumours by Fleetwood Mac

However anyone who has never heard Albatross by Fleetwood Mac need to know that it is, simply, the best instrumental of all time .... do yourselves a favour and go get it!! :D

Pete

drumsterphil 11 November 2002 10:56 PM

Cool thread!

Just listened to the Black album by Metallica for the first time in about 6 years. Listened to it to death when it first came out(got to the stage when hearing the opeining chords to Enter Sandman would have me screaming). Album still sounds incredible.

And IMHO has the best guitar solo of all time on it - namely Unforgiven.:)

DP.

jbryant 11 November 2002 11:14 PM

Had a copy of 'Play' by Moby in my CD collection for years. Listened to it for the first time a few months back. Niiiiiice :)

Joolz
"Moby you can get stung by Obi" - WTF!:rolleyes:

Hong Kong Phooey 12 November 2002 08:21 AM

Aerosmith -'Pump'

:D

mista weava 12 November 2002 08:31 AM

steve sherwen,
carter 30 something is an absolute classic! as is blur, modern life is rubbish.
reminds me of my days as a skateboarding youth!
weava

Daryl 12 November 2002 11:03 AM

Bought Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys a couple of years ago, couldn't believe how good it is, an all time classic :)

Luke 12 November 2002 11:15 AM

1.KLF :"Chill out"
2.Tangerine Dream: "Through Metophorpic Rock".. (Got to be spelt wrong!!)
3.Joan Armatrading.: "Love and Affection"
4. AC/DC :"Razor edge"

HELLOM8 12 November 2002 11:41 AM

Yeah, I put Carter USM in the casette deck last night, must be 7-8 years since I last heard it, very good then came out the smathing p's - disarm and then Whiskeytown - Pneumonia, which I brought and never really listened too good stuff.

LanCat 12 November 2002 11:59 AM

My tape of East Side Story by Squeeze surfaced again the other week. It really took me right back to my teenage years and it still sounds great.

Fosters 12 November 2002 12:46 PM

Niel Young - After the goldrush
Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
Van Morrison - Moondance (single)
Metallica - Garage Days revisited EP
Brian May/Eddie Van Halen - Starfleet project EP (B side)

too many to mention, but timeless none the less.

Dave_A 12 November 2002 01:49 PM

Wow, music fans on SN shocker!!

steve sherwen,
carter 30 something...
I listened to this album for weeks in the car after I passed my test. I need to dig it out again and have a listen. 101 damnations is also a top Carter album, the later ones perhaps not so good. I've got most of their singles as well (yes, I know, sad) of which the best has to be 'The only living boy in New Cross'.

Anyway, other favourites from the past -

Paul Simon - Graceland
Tracy Chapman - Crossroads (How obvious!)
Dire Straits - Love over Gold / Alchemy
Genesis - Duke / Genesis / Invisible Touch
Happy Mondays - Pills, thrills and bellyaches
Lenny Kravitz - Mama Said / 5
REM - Automatic For the People

TelBoy 13 November 2002 12:38 PM

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/clap.gif to all the people who contributed, thankyou for all the suggestions. As a final epilogue, and slight personal indulgence, i've compiled what is my version of the albums everybody ought to own, or at least listen to, once in their lives. It doesn't intentionally include anything thus far mentioned, to avoid duplication.
Some are unashamedly cheesy, some you might not have heard of before. Hopefully somebody somewhere will agree with some/all of these;

Abba - The Album

AC/DC - Back In Black

Air - Moon Safari

Beck - Odelay

Bryan Adams - Reckless

Dire Straits - Love Over Gold

Enya - Watermark

Foreigner - 4

George Michael - Older

Heaven 17 - Endless

Human League - Dare

Jean Michelle Jarre - Oxygene

Leftfield - Leftism

Level 42 - World Machine

Madonna - Ray of Light

Primal Scream - Screamadelica

Simple Minds - Sparkle in the Rain

Tears for Fears - The Hurting

Toto - 4

Hey, i even listed them alphabetically! :D I thank you.

CrisPDuk 13 November 2002 01:46 PM

Night Train - The Oscar Peterson Trio - Primo quality jazz pianist

The White Album - The Beatles - Being obvious doesn't stop it being great

Wish you were here - Pink FLoyd - Their greatest moment

Pills n Thrills n Bellyaches - Happy Mondays - Bez n Ryder, 'nuff said

brickboy 13 November 2002 01:48 PM

Other essentials:

"Loveless" -- My Bloody Valentine
"This is the Day ... " -- PWEI
"Sunburst Finish" -- BeBop Deluxe
"Copper Blue" -- Sugar
2 Many DJs

gregjd 13 November 2002 02:57 PM

Would add some Springsteen to this list too..

Darkness On The Edge of Town
Nebraska

On a totally different vein I loaded up the Scoob with some old New Order CD's I'd not had on for ages the other day and they still sounded great.

Mossman 13 November 2002 03:08 PM

Agree Chillis new one is great but also love the old stuff.
Love "Alive" as well - one heluva track - used to listen to that in Sauze, a ski resort in Italy where I lived for 2 seasons. Also used to play Rage, "killing.." on the way to work (ski shop) in a friends Fiat camper van! QUALITY!
Level 42's old albums are superb, especially like Something about You and lessons in Love.
Some of Prince's old stuff is good - Sign of the Times.

Now I listen to a lot of deep house etc. If anyone want's some seriously good listening try ANYTHING on the HED KANDI label www.hedkandi.com - especially Disco House and Chill stuff. Also St Germaine, Pork Recordings and Groove Armada's new CD, LOVEBOX is doing it!!
Mossman
:)

ozzy 13 November 2002 03:16 PM

TelBoy,

Go and discover Green Day's early stuff - Kerplunk and Dookie are superb. I've been burning all my CD's for my new in-car MP3 player, so I've been re-discovering all these old favourties :)

I would have to question whether the likes of Enya, Jean Michelle Jarre or Foreigner are ever worth discovering though :rolleyes:

My m8 was (and sadly still is) into West Coast American Rock. Being subjected to the likes of Heart is no way to treat another human being ;)

Stefan

ozzy 13 November 2002 03:21 PM

Has anyone mention the Sex Pistols Never Mind the Bollocks or Pretty Vacant?

And if you like Pearl Jam, then what about The Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness - classic.

Stefan

Steve vRS 13 November 2002 03:57 PM

Sugar - Copper Blue

Excellent!!!!!

what about the Wonderstuff - Hup and Eight Legged Groove Machine

There was a time when Stourbridge ruled the Indie charts

Wonderstuff
PWEI
NEDS Atomic Dustbin

Steve