ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Electric Motors recoiled? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/142927-electric-motors-recoiled.html)

matt.bowey 25 October 2002 12:40 PM

An increase of 28% air flow!

1+(350/2650)^2

If yoy square a decimal, the number will get smaller!

[Edited by matt.bowey - 10/25/2002 12:44:14 PM]

Jolly Green Monster 2 28 October 2002 09:13 AM

Maths not my strong point then obviously..

28%... oh bum..

It is arriving Wednesday so I will be trying to fit it Saturday although it is going to be a busy weekend, friday I am towing my wifes new car 200miles home on a rented trailer, Saturday I am changing the cambelt and oil on said car...

Sounds like it might be worth blocking part of the air way.

Cheers

JGM

matt.bowey 29 October 2002 07:04 PM

I wouldn't bother...........as I said before 50Hz = 3000rpm! The slip of the motor will be pretty similar to the old one!

I bet you won't even notice the difference!!

Jolly Green Monster 2 29 October 2002 07:27 PM

Well hopefully it arrives Wednesday (thats tomorrow) and I can set about fitting it Saturday, I shall just fit it as is, once I have modified the fan and assembly to take new motor.

Although I have an awlful feeling it will not be delivered on time..

Thanks again
JGM

Jolly Green Monster 2 04 November 2002 04:08 PM

Quick update incase anyone is interested..

I checked the motor that had arrived, on Friday.. to find it was huge... about 4times the size of the one it was replacing..

Although it would obviously still run at the same RPM it was the physical size that was a problem.. the fan on the front of it would have no where to draw the air from to blow. The front of the boiler casing doesn't allow enough space for the motor, so I would have to butcher the front to allow the motor to stick out etc.. also the original mounts were no where near upto the job..
So would need to build a frame of some sort to support the weight.

So it was useable but far from ideal...

Had a meal at my inlaws on Friday and was discussing it.. Father in-law goes out to his garage and returns with a motor about 1.5times bigger then the original and about as old.. will this do the job he says?

So we adapted the old motors fan and surround to fit the new one and I fitted it last night and we have heating :)

Until that motor fails of course :)

The motor we decided was more a ventilation air extractor fan size.. so I might have a look in B&Q at the extractor fans to see if I can pencil in a replacement..

Sending the motor back to Machine Mart although I did wonder about making a bench drill...

Cheers for everyones help as I was confident that the new (old) motor would spin at the same pace as the old one and should therefore air the boiler etc.. because of discussing it here..

JGM :)