ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Whos interested in raising the inlet?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/139021-whos-interested-in-raising-the-inlet.html)

Andy.F 29 November 2002 01:24 PM

You just asked if I was interested :D :D of course I am !

I think my spacers are either 8 or 10mm nylon plus 19mm alloy to clear my 75mm inlet pipe.

David_Wallis 29 November 2002 01:33 PM

:D

AlanG 29 November 2002 02:59 PM

For folks thinking of fitting spacers to phase 2 engines (MY99 on).
Don't go bananas with spacers much thicker than 10mm.

Doesn't appear to much clearance left under the bonnet with mine.

Alan :cool:

Andy.F 29 November 2002 04:40 PM

Power bulge ? or just pleased to see me :eek:

Tone Loc 30 November 2002 11:59 PM

Cheers Andy. So that's nearly 30mm spacers........ bloody hell. I was thinking more along the lines of 20mm........... but then i was also thinking of a 70mm inlet pipe. Do they have to be this thick or have you got plenty of 'play'.

Tony.

Andy.F 01 December 2002 12:13 PM

Tone

The pipe I use is 3" OD ie 76.2mm this gives me only around 2mm clearance from the manifold/water rail. You could get away with 20mm spacers on 70mm and then slightly oval the pipe at the tight spot ?

Andy

Tone Loc 02 December 2002 10:22 AM

Hmmm... the set up i was going to go for was 70mm to 57mm (ID) straight reducer to 70mm (OD) joining pipe to 70mm (ID) 90 degree elbow. The silcon pipes are from Samco but they only give ID not OD so don't know how big they are.... must be quiet close to yours (if not the same).

Out of interest does anybody know this dimater of the BPM or Samco inlet (and the OEM)?

Tony.

Pavlo 02 December 2002 10:28 AM

Although expensive, the easy option is get one of the standard inlet pipes, like the BPM or MRT ones, and the later PS pump header tank, later water header tank etc.

I'm looking at samco reducer, fabricated alloy cone with pipe fittings, 70mm 90' samco, joiner, 76mm 45' samco, maf sensor.

paul

Mark A 02 December 2002 02:42 PM

David

What's happened, are you still going ahead with this, if so I'd interested in a set.

Mark A

steve McCulloch 02 December 2002 03:46 PM

Dave

Would this be beneficial if I have water injection anyway?

Or is this just a daft question?

john banks 02 December 2002 10:51 PM

Steve, from feeling Andy's manifold (oo err) after a 1.7 bar thrash I can confirm that the manifold was cold to the touch. My manifold on a similar sized turbo, FMIC, and no WI like Andy presently is warm in similar situations. Alan G I believe measured a significant increase in temperature from throttle body to inlet manifold, which presumably comes from the heatsoak in the manifold. Even with water injection, a lower charge temperature is always nice? If I could be bothered I would do it too...

AndrewC 03 December 2002 08:12 AM

Hasn't Andy also disconnected/blocked the coolant (ie hot water) flow to the throttle body? and possibly rerouted/insulated other coolant pipes? Surely this will have some effect also.

I thought that a cool inlet manifold wasn't always a good thing, isn't the optimum temperature for mixing fuel/air about 40C?

I think like a lot of Andy's mods there is a cumulative effect!

Andrew...

PS. John: Perhaps Andy's intercooler is just far more efficient than yours:D

steve McCulloch 03 December 2002 09:51 AM

Think I need to look into this!

AlanG 03 December 2002 09:53 AM

Best not to be left behind Steve!! :D:D:D

Alan :cool:

steve McCulloch 03 December 2002 11:26 AM

dooohhhh.... :p

But Alan... you know I need all the help I can get, after all I only av a filter and exhaust ;)

steve McCulloch 03 December 2002 11:43 AM

I need this mod doing soon pls - i.e. before the end of Jan ;)

steve McCulloch 03 December 2002 11:44 AM

Harvey

I thought you got an extra 100bhp by pumping your tyres up to 90psi :p

ChristianR 03 December 2002 11:58 AM

harvey - no I haven't got this mod.

Andy.F 03 December 2002 01:55 PM

It's also worthwhile eliminating the throttle body heating supply IMHO. The water header tank can also transmit heat so I moved it to the bulkhead but you could always fit it with thermal insulators :)
Regarding minimum best temperature, not too sure actually :confused: The cooler the air is the denser it is therefore more of it in the same space - which is good :) - but - I believe there comes a point where the air charge can be so cool it reduces the atomisation of the fuel and can have an adverse effect on power :eek:
I don't yet have any quantative data on this but it appears to comply with the laws of 'diminishing returns' which we are all familiar with when it comes to tuning !!

Every little counts though :)
As we tight Scots say "Muny a mickle maks a muckle" ;)

Andy

MorayMackenzie 03 December 2002 02:36 PM

David,

Any further news on these spacers? :)

Moray

harvey 04 December 2002 01:05 AM

Steve: Properly inflarted tyre will keep losses to a minimum and I guess that up to say 40psi cold is reasonable.
You can try to blow your tyres to 90psi but personally IMHO you will have infarted them too much.